Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think i double charged one. Glad i was shooting a 1911. All the rounds remaining blew out the bottom of the mag. My face took a few small cuts. My nerves were shot after that too. I don't know if it was a polymer framed gun. More damage could have happened. I had a rough time removing the mag sleeve. Going to pull the rest of the batch and reload to be safe.

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
Ouch, I’m glad you came out the way did, it could have been worse, right?

Just curious.....are you loading off a single stage or progressive? Also have you done any “mental back-tracking”? I pulled a double charged about 25 years ago, (the out come wasn’t as bad as yours) and after it happened I knew exactly what I did wrong.

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
Think i double charged one. Glad i was shooting a 1911. All the rounds remaining blew out the bottom of the mag. My face took a few small cuts. My nerves were shot after that too. I don't know if it was a polymer framed gun. More damage could have happened. I had a rough time removing the mag sleeve. Going to pull the rest of the batch and reload to be safe.
View attachment 143604
View attachment 143605
dang ... that's mess up my nerves as well ... glad you and the 1911 are ok ...

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Knock on wood, I haven't experienced one myself over the years.
After a delayed ignition one time I noticed my awareness of safety increased exponentially.
I've become anal about using the small rcbs powder measure and a loading block to charge all pistol ammo just so I can do the flashlight comparison.
Funny how that adrenalin dump can sharpen your focus.:eek:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I load them with a turret press. It was supposed to be 4,5 grains of tight group. 230 grain coated cast lead.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A long, long time ago, when I was 17 and just discovering the financial benefit of reloading I made a mistake. My buddy (a city police officer) and me were reloading some 38 specials with some inexpensive cast bullets. I had my brand new powder scale and I was attempting to load 5.3 grains of Unique. No more fixed measure powder scoop for me, I had a new scale. We loaded the cases and my buddy said, it sure looks like a lot of powder, but we proceeded in any event. About 150 rounds worth. About 3.00 am the following morning I get a frantic phone call from him........ he had loaded 6 rounds in his S&W service .357, model 65 I think; he was with his partner at an old trash dump and they were shooting rats. He said the night lit up and there was a huge muzzle blast and heavy recoil. He said he shot all 6 rounds and stopped. I said do not shoot any more, we will investigate in the morning. I pulled out my scale and tried to repeat what I had done. I quickly realized that I had moved the scale to 5.0 grains and added three. But that is not 5.3, it was 8.0 grains of Unique............. 7.8 is about .357 max as I recall. I also learned that S&W made a pretty strong gun. It was a mistake that I never made again. No digital scales back in those days. I goofed. We pulled the bullets and started over........

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow glad to hear your friend did not get injured.

I inspected the out side of the barrel. No cracks. I have the bore soaking in E,R . Im glad it's a bull barrel.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I load them with a turret press. It was supposed to be 4,5 grains of tight group. 230 grain coated cast lead.
I've learned a thing or two using a turret press, and TG over the years.
Lighting, it's all about getting light where you need it.
TG is a low dose powder and getting two charges in a large case is easy. Lighting and process.
I talk to the machine, or the developing round, however you call it, each step of the way.

I know a fellow who can attests that, a squib will also pique one's interest...

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,651 Posts
Glad you are okay, and thanks for sharing this reminder to all of us. My squib when getting started led me to slow way down. I pulled more than 90 bullets...

·
Premium Member
13,776 Posts
Yeow! Glad no one including the gun were not hurt. I have had a few squibs on my reloads and a small over charge but nothing like this...........yet. Again.......glad no one was hurt!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Most of us old timers have done it ... don't feel bad !
Glad you OK !
After my super hot load I got real anal and OCD about measuring powder and getting one charge into every case . I put away the powder measure . I like to use a scoop , I watch one scoop go into each case , each case and it's powder level gets eyeballed 3 times before the bullet is seated .
keeping an eye on the powder is my safety check and makes me feel better .
Develop a little system to check and then double check your powder charge ...
just looking at the level in the case with your eyeball and a little flash light will keep you out of trouble .
Gary

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you spend a lot of time at anything sooner or later you will make a mistake. I too, am also glad you came out of it as well as you did.
That event would be burned in my memory as I strongly suspect the same is true with you.
Learn. Have a good laugh to celebrate what turned out to be a mild incident.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a few squibs along the way, Im going to set up a led light so can see in each casing as i go. I also check charge wight every 10th round too lately.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I did a double or more charge of WW231 in my 1911 I was loading bullseye loads and trying to set the bullet depth,I moved the load in and out of the seating die a coupe times to get the depth set,not thinking about the case under the powder measure also moving up and down. I shot the overload during competition so I had an audience !!
The shot cracked my new wood target grips and stung my hand also a little cut.I didn't shoot any more that night but went home and pulled all 200 loads.
My scores we off for quite a few weeks after that.( developed quit a flinch ).
Later I figured out what I had done wrong,but now I sit where I can see into the case so I have never repeated the error.
After 35 years of reloading a guy can still make an error . I am glad you are ok.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll be a little guy shy probably for a bit after this. I tried shooting my other 1911 while i was out. And ,my Mark 4 target. I just couldn't concentrate. So i packed up. Another thought on this. Im wondering if it fired not fully chambered. It is a new 1911. I had to ''assist'' it in closing the slide at 1st. Then it ran fine last outing, Today it hung up some. Im going to see how factory ammo does. If it still don't close on it;s own. I'll send it in to RIA.

·
Registered
38 Posts
CoalcrackerAl,
Please check the length of the cases you're reloading. 45ACP cases tend to get shorter with each firing and the minimum case length per SAAMI specs is 0.888". 45ACP headspace measurements can range from a min of 0.898" to a max of 0.920". This means that head clearance (the distance between the case head and the breech face) should be somewhere between 0.010" and 0.032" when you drop a minimum length case into the chamber and fully close the slide. You should be able to get a pretty good idea of the head clearance by checking how deep the case is from the end of the barrel hood. Also, pretty easy to see how the end of the case compares to the end of the barrel hood once you have the barrel out.

If your slide was a bit sticky, but not enough to prevent going into battery, the head clearance might have been way too much when that failed round fired. Last thought - excessive feed ramp length leading into the chamber leaves too much of the case head unsupported and prone to blowing out.

Bottom line - I'd have the gun thoroughly checked out at least as far as headspace, slide closing, and barrel feed ramp geometry goes and not just rest on the assumption that your reload charge was excessive.

·
Super Moderator
21,066 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok. I have a reloading system whereby my chargemaster system dumps the powder and I can see the weight on the digital scale, I dump the powder and seat the bullet while the next charge is dropping. I am pretty comfortable with that system and the other thing I do is clean up when I am finished. Return the left over powder to the original container and put stuff away.

I wouldn't shy away from reloading but learn from your mistake and develop a system that will bring your chances for a double charge to an absolute minimum. Check yourself and if that little voice says something is not right don't blow it off, listen to it. That has saved my bacon more than once.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm glad you are Ok. I had a squib once and that really scared me. I don't shoot a whole lot so I use a hand-loader which is slow but allows me to inspect the powder charge in every case before seating the bullet.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts