Ruger Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Glad you are ok. The only time my old P-90 malfunctioned was when I was shooting a friends reloads. They were on the hot side, but not +P. Anyway, bang, bang, poof. I watched the bullet leave the barrel, fly about 15 ft before it hit the ground. The round stove piped in the ejection port. I cleared the gun, disassembled it and checked barrel. No other problems the rest of the day. His reaction was that he must have forgot the powder charge. He said he was loading and had to go to the bathroom, and when he returned seated a bullet. Said he must have gotten out of order. It scared him into changing his loading habits. After that, if he ever left the press he would write where he was at in the process on a sticky note and put it on the press so he knew exactly what he had done last. He said that could have easily been a double charge which could have had a much unhappier ending. I never had another issue with any of his reloads again. I trusted his ability and his OCDness. Have fun, be safe!
JP

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I'll be a little guy shy probably for a bit after this. I tried shooting my other 1911 while i was out. And ,my Mark 4 target. I just couldn't concentrate. So i packed up. Another thought on this. Im wondering if it fired not fully chambered. It is a new 1911. I had to ''assist'' it in closing the slide at 1st. Then it ran fine last outing, Today it hung up some. Im going to see how factory ammo does. If it still don't close on it;s own. I'll send it in to RIA.
My understanding is that a 1911 cannot fire far enough out of battery to cause this. It is built into the design. This assumes everything is in spec.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Think i double charged one. Glad i was shooting a 1911. All the rounds remaining blew out the bottom of the mag. My face took a few small cuts. My nerves were shot after that too. I don't know if it was a polymer framed gun. More damage could have happened. I had a rough time removing the mag sleeve. Going to pull the rest of the batch and reload to be safe.
View attachment 143604
View attachment 143605
I have a case exactly like this on a dog tag chain that I kept in my pickup for years. Now it is on my loading bench to remind me how easy this can happen.

My friend loaded a double and I was lucky enough to find it for him! It was his pistol, Colt Combat Elite Custom race gun, but we were trading off and on with a couple of each others pistols. I picked it up, fired twice andm third times a charm, BLAMM! Exact same results, these barrels are undercut and wheather intentional or not, they act as a disaster avoider. All the pressure and powder is channeled to the magazine well. These were 200 grain SWC cast loads for USPCA competition, been many years ago, so they were not hot to begin with, 4.5 of Winchester Super Light I believe. Still, hot enough to make the mag unusable and soot hay hand up along with a great sting, no blood.

It really only takes once to make you wake up. We pulled over 150 rounds in that lot and not one other one was double charged.

Lucky me! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I saw the doc today. Also went shooting after the appt. I shot my SBH and my SW 25-5. 45 LC. I was nailing cans at 25 yards off hand. And one handed with the 45 colt. I think im flinch free. :)
Here is the diagnosis. They said where it is, Best to let it alone for now. Removal could cause more dammage.

Midstromal corneal foreign body. No AC Rxn. Normal IOP. Epithelialized. Not bothersome to patient. Monitor and re-evaluate in a few weeks.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hello all! Please do not assume it was and overcharge! I shot competitively many yrs ago and would load hundreds by night and shoot them all the next day in practice. One day bang! mag and remaining rounds on the ground, two splintered rose wood grips and some sore hands. Wrote it off as a mistake and over charge. Pulled the remainder of my loads and reloaded weighing every round! Two days later same result! A trip to my smith proved it was not my fault but that the pistol was going into battery before the action was fully closed, leaving too much of the case exposed and causing the blow out. Not saying this is your problem but I am proof it can happen.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Ever since i been making sure the slide closes all the way before firing. And been using my Lee FCD die. So far the gun is working like it should.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,724 Posts
Had a similar event on a Kahr 9mm, all steel older gun, thank God. My brother in law bought ammo from a commercial reloader at a gun show, during an ammo shortage. This pistol had never experienced this sort of thing, and the slide fully closed to the best we could tell.

The gun fired, but would not cycle another round. We thought it a jam, but the blast blew off the extractor claws. A round ruptured at the case head turned up.

He began shooting only factory rounds after that. I told him to contact the ammo manufacturer about getting coverage for the repair on the gun but he did not do so. Moral for me is to check everything twice and I never do rapid fire, even with my AR. As I am being sucked into the addiction of SA shooting, this is all good :)

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Hello all! Please do not assume it was and overcharge! I shot competitively many yrs ago and would load hundreds by night and shoot them all the next day in practice. One day bang! mag and remaining rounds on the ground, two splintered rose wood grips and some sore hands. Wrote it off as a mistake and over charge. Pulled the remainder of my loads and reloaded weighing every round! Two days later same result! A trip to my smith proved it was not my fault but that the pistol was going into battery before the action was fully closed, leaving too much of the case exposed and causing the blow out. Not saying this is your problem but I am proof it can happen.
I believe it. Out-of-battery firing can easily occur with M1 Garand rifles that are worn out-of-spec. Many blame it on a squib or overcharge, but the barrel/chamber has no signs of damage.

·
Registered
259 Posts
When I was new to reloading, I was shooting next to a buddy's friend, who was shooting war-weary 1911. I noticed that a lot of his ejected brass was going 'waaay over our heads. He would shoot, I would say "I got it", stick my hand out, and catch the empty. Then I noticed there were these neat little scoops blown out of the case where it was not supported by the barrel. About a half-dozen of the "high flyers", and the barrel bushing of the gun broke, and the bushing and recoil spring landed about 6 feet in front of us. I found out later he was using some "special" loads... 45-70 bullets that were .002-003 larger than the recommended diameter for the 1911, and a powder/load that were never specified. Colt saved both of us from possible injury that day. :oops:

41 - 53 of 53 Posts