Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
But then I saw this.
7 ounces lighter, and can shoot .44mag as well. Only disadvantage (besides being more expensive) is that it is only a 5-shooter.

I have a fondness for .44 special guns, this might have to be my next one
The amazing thing is that is it on the Calif Handgun Roster!

·
Registered
17,166 Posts
That's a good lookin revolver.
I hope you get it.
How many times will someone need that 6th .44mag, anyway?

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Even though it's a .44 magnum I would still use .44 Specials instead. I have heard good reports of the S&W Model 69 built on a L frame S&W very nice!!!

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have a 69. I like it more every time I use it. Mine is very accurate and easy to carry. I have no problems with even full house magnums as long as I don't shoot more than 3-4 cylinders of them. With mid level cast loads I can shoot it all I want. The 5 shots has not nor do I think will ever be a problem.

Note to Ruger: This is a very popular revolver. Start working on a GP version or something similar.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Note to Ruger: This is a very popular revolver. Start working on a GP version or something similar.
I have been sending emails at the "Tell the CEO" portion of Ruger's website monthly, requesting just such a thing. My preference would be just a 44 Special chambering, I could work up some warmer loads. But if they make it in 44 magnum I won't be crying. They just need to make the darn thing! If they don't I guess I'll pick up a model 69. It's a great looking revolver, it would just be my preference to get a comparable Ruger.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,195 Posts
Ditto on the 5-shot GP100.

Every time I come close to buying the Smith 69, I remember how much I hate that ridiculous key lock hole on the side of the frame. I don't care if reports of the guns locking themselves are greatly exaggerated; I refuse to buy one as a matter of principle.

I'd take the 44 Bisley over the Smith with the Hillary Hole.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Ditto on the 5-shot GP100.

Every time I come close to buying the Smith 69, I remember how much I hate that ridiculous key lock hole on the side of the frame. I don't care if reports of the guns locking themselves are greatly exaggerated; I refuse to buy one as a matter of principle.

I'd take the 44 Bisley over the Smith with the Hillary Hole.
I have to agree that I am not interested in buying anymore new Smith's, having plugged the locks on (7) of them already. Nice guns though, even though most lead like crazy (for me anyway) with bare lead bullets. I would be concerned though that the Bisley would just be a fun gun, whereas I could conceivably carry the 69. I don't have the skills to rely on a single action for self defense.

If I owned a 69 (I do have two 629s), I would reload 44 Mag cases to whatever load level pleased me. No way would I buy a 44 Magnum intending to use only 44 Special ammo.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If I owned a 69 (I do have two 629s), I would reload 44 Mag cases to whatever load level pleased me. No way would I buy a 44 Magnum intending to use only 44 Special ammo.
I'm a .44 spl kind of guy, the 44mag ability is just sort of a bonus.

As to the lock on the Smith, I bet some of you guys are still mad that your car has a catalytic converter. Still functions just fine as much as you hate it... A lot of Ruger SA guns have the lock as well.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Had the new Model 66 (357 mag) version and still have and will always have the Bisley 44 Special. Sold the 66.

Really two very different guns, so totally a personal call on your part. Can't go wrong with either one.

I tend to shoot SAs, especially Bisley versions, a touch more accurately than DAs, so no contest for me. Then, too, figured if I was going to get serious about the 44 Special, why not get a gun chambered for the cartridge? As for looks ... also no contest for me. :)

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,195 Posts
As to the lock on the Smith, I bet some of you guys are still mad that your car has a catalytic converter.
My catalytic converter serves a valid purpose. The lock, on the other hand, is totally antithetical to how true gun safety happens. And that's kind of a straw man argument anyway.

A Smith is a beautiful gun, but I sold all mine with the hole in the frame and won't buy any more unless they are hole-free models. Especially in a magnum that might serve in a personal protection role.

·
Registered
803 Posts
The Bisley 44 Special is a great gun. Wish I had one.

That's the great thing about living in a gun friendly state. I can own all of them I want and carry them about wherever I please so I try to do both.:D

I don't mind the key locks any more. Not a issue for me any longer. I just ignore them. I wish they were not there but nothing I can do but complain and hope.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
I have held a model 69 at the lgs and it was/is tempting. I'd go for it, seems to me it would still put a sparkel in your smile years from now if you went for it.

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
NCG I read that you had a new model 66 S&W .357 Mag. Well dare to bet its not even close to my S&W Model 66 no dash revolver that I still have. BTW I really like that Ruger .44 Special Bisley model!! Way way cool:D;)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
7 ounces lighter, and can shoot .44mag as well. Only disadvantage (besides being more expensive) is that it is only a 5-shooter.
A few years back, I lusted for the L Frame .44 Special, but never managed to have the money when I spotted one. Then it leaked out that the frames were prone to cracks, (later determined by S&W to be due to blowing lead out with a jacketed bullet). I passed.

A couple articles by reputable sources announced the pending availability of the M69, and I knew I was going to grab the first one I saw. About two years later.

Initially, my plan, (being a long time handloader), was to feed the Smith .44Special level loads in .44 Magnum brass. I was sure the recoil with full power stuff would be unmanageable, based on a single session with a rented Taurus Tracker 4". (A very nice little .44 except for the porting). I discovered, to my surprise, that the grips were very good at absorbing recoil, far better than I expected. Even with full power jacketed factory loads, the M69's bite is actually easier to deal with than my SP101/4" with similar load levels, (OEM grips). The trigger is a tad heavier than it needs to be, but it's not much of a handicap, if at all. If it's ever released with a 6" tube, I'll be first in line.

Now, I'm a huge Ruger fan, and half the firearms in my safe are Rugers. But when S&W comes out with a winner, I have no qualms. Is the M69 as durable as my SBH's? Not likely. Do I care? Not. I still plan to shoot largely cast and swaged lead through the M69, using Red Dot/AA No.2 with the soft bullets, and Herco/AA No.5 with the harder cast stuff. I will not feed it any max jacketed ammo unless the bears are on the porch, and the zombies are in the basement with my heavy artillery. No need.

It wouldn't be my choice for an "only" .44M, but for a portable trail gun, where there are larger hazards along the trail than a .357 would seem suitable to deter, it's great.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
NCG I read that you had a new model 66 S&W .357 Mag. Well dare to bet its not even close to my S&W Model 66 no dash revolver that I still have. BTW I really like that Ruger .44 Special Bisley model!! Way way cool:D;)
Oh, I did, yes. Have to say, though, that it was rough and gritty and heavy on both the trigger and action - not even close to what we have have been getting on our new GPs. I'm sure it would have smoothed out with use, but after spending that kind of money ...

On the other hand, I would be willing to bet your no dash is as smooth as butter.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I just sold my Bisley 44 Special 4 5/8s. Why, I shoot the same loads and heavier in my Smith Model 69, better. In all fairness I was a LEO and trained DA with a Smith revolver and carried same for 23 years. I shoot the 69 better and the trigger is better.

The Bisley was sold to a friend who dearly wanted and appreciates it. Great guns, that Bisley, one of the best Rugers ever made. Money went to finance a GP that David Clements is currently working on (Oh, I hope so. It was promised to be work done and returned in October).

The beauty of the L Frame 44 Model 69 is the frame size, which translates to portability, and for this fat old man, that means it gets carried more in the woods than heavier, larger, 44 Mags. The Model 69 is lighter and more compact than the Bisley 44 Spl.. Recoil impulse is less as the bore axis is lower in the hand. Kept the original mainspring in the 69 and put in a lighter trigger return spring and Hogue grips.

I shoot 250 Keiths between 1K and 1100 fps and they shoot very well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts