Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago I did some trading for a Browning 9 mm.
The guy said it was given to him by his uncle.
His uncle took it off a dead German captian during the war.
I did not pay too much attention to it at the time.
I only had Colt 38's at that time.
I was looking for a smaller carry piece.
Well, For some time I stopped carrying and put it up.
Time passed and I retrieved the Browning to clean and oil it.
I looked up the serial number and found it was made in 1938.
It had german markings... the flying swastica or something like that.
I decide to shoot it and took it to the range.
One shooter was attracted to the Browning and asked to see it.
His interest was enough to made a rediculas offer for the piece.
I no longer have it.
The Browniing 9mm's are small, reliable and a good carry gun.
I think I made a mistake letting it go.
I bet all of us have had a gun that we let go and wished we had not done it.

·
Administrator
22,889 Posts
The way I look at it, looking backwards does nothing but make you second guess yourself. You can't change it all you can do is learn and move on. I have a couple like that but as Satchel Paige said "Don't look back they may be gaining on you". I would say if you pinned me down my first handgun was a Ruger Security Six with a 6" BBL. I could shoot it well and was more accurate than I am. It did nightstand duty for 25 years and then I just had to have something else and traded it off. :mad:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Now in my later years I have concentrated on reacquiring guns I had stupidly sold in the distant past when I had a family to raise. Then, I thought I was being prudent in selling a gun in order to buy another I wanted more. A year ago, before the current shortage of guns and ammo, I bought a Single Six and a Blackhawk .357 for good prices. I also bought a new Marlin '94 in .45 Colt to replace the shot out 1930 Winchester '92 I bought for $40 in 1960 and had re rifled in .357 for $60. The buyer declined to sell it back to me last year. I have a few more guns to go.

Kimber Lover, there may be some Browning 9mms around if you want to replace it. The Nazi pistol will be very expensive, as you know, but some nice shooters may be found reasonably.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
A very long time ago I was caught up in Whoops debacle in Washington. We held on as long as we could but had to sell out and move. My guns all went. My Ruger 1A in 30-06 and my Ruger 20 gauge Red Label O/U went but at a very good price. Sold as a matched pair. The wood was spectacular looked like the were cut from the same board and would be graded today as Extra Fancy. I have never tried to replace them as I don't think I could. That sale was out of necessity.
The stupid one was my Marlin 336T in 35 Remington. I was in Alaska and sold it to help finance a 308 Norma Magnum. Should have kept the 336 and bought a cheaper 30-06.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I had a Century Arms R1-A1, Imbel's FAL. It was a genuine surplus FAL, and I had to sell it because I was PCS'ing to The Democratic People's Republic of Kaliforniastan. It was the most painful thing I'd had to do, and I regret losing that rifle--especially at the embarrassingly low price for which I sold it, back before various crises made rifles like it all dry up.

I eventually got an SA-58 to replace it, but it just isn't exactly the same.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
There have been some rifles that you could not sell to me regardless of the price.
I was about 14 and my best buddy always presented himself as a crack shot.
He had found an old Mosberg rifle and it was worn out.
Honestly, looking into the barrel it looked square, but that did not reduce it's accuracy.
Anyone that wanted to try his abilities could offer to flip a coin into the air and and and..
He would nail it every time.
He never missed.
For me I would not have given 50 cents for that rifle, but then there were times that I rarely had 50 cents to blow.
Some time later,
Turkey shooting was the in thing.
I guess I saw just about every version of how a single barrel shotgun could be altered.
I saw barrels that were bent, choked and modified.
Of course the shots were always on a target.
I have seen some shotguns that actually obliterated a target from 100 feet.
It got so bad that only factory guns were allowed at the shoots.
My buddy won his share of the shoots, which included money on the side.
I just watched.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A very long time ago I was caught up in Whoops debacle in Washington. We held on as long as we could but had to sell out and move. My guns all went. My Ruger 1A in 30-06 and my Ruger 20 gauge Red Label O/U went but at a very good price. Sold as a matched pair. The wood was spectacular looked like the were cut from the same board and would be graded today as Extra Fancy. I have never tried to replace them as I don't think I could. That sale was out of necessity.
The stupid one was my Marlin 336T in 35 Remington. I was in Alaska and sold it to help finance a 308 Norma Magnum. Should have kept the 336 and bought a cheaper 30-06.

·
Registered
68 Posts
In all the years I have owned firearms, I have only sold one.
Sold a Llama .380 semi-auto.
Do I regret it?
No, I took it as collateral and it had a questionable history.

There is one I regret letting get away.
It was a 1942 Inland M1 Carbine.
Left it at the ex wife's grandparent's farm.

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
718 Posts
I guess I'm lucky, I can't think of one gun I ever let go that I regret no longer having.
I regret NOT picking up some guns that I had a chance to get over the years.

@JTJ My Father-in-Law did exactly the same and it made me realize the benefits of passing along at least some guns to the kids and grandkids before I'm gone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts