Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying hard not to go to the gunshow but off I go. I don't think I could think about it all weekend, because I'm weak, and not go. I did that before and ending up going late Sunday afternoon and was left with scraps. I'll stock up on powder and brass. Gonna try and meet up with out friend Planeguy to say hi.

I've been thinking about a 1911 and maybe an LCR.

·
Bat Man
1,666 Posts
I was trying hard not to go to the gunshow but off I go. I don't think I could think about it all weekend, because I'm weak, and not go. I did that before and ending up going late Sunday afternoon and was left with scraps. I'll stock up on powder and brass. Gonna try and meet up with out friend Planeguy to say hi.

I've been thinking about a 1911 and maybe an LCR.
Been thinking about going to the RK show at the Atlanta Expo Center (aka old Richway) myself but can't go until Sunday. On the plus side, may be leftovers but sometimes you can get a deal.

Let us know if it's with the trip.

·
Premium Member
13,777 Posts
You can always look at scopes and lasers too......................

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Fred and I did meet up for a few minutes. It was cool to be able to meet on of the names on here and have a face to put with it now. I had my phone exchange on but didn't realize I wouldn't be able to hear it at all because of all the noise. I had to have it in my hand to hear it.

The place was major league jammed! I'd say about twice as many people as the last time I went.

Thanks to fixitfred for sure for steering me to the right guys for reloading supplies. I did (finally!!) score some powder. I got some Titegroup and some H110 and primers. And they were at least $5 each lower than anybody else. Nice people too - very patient with this reloading newbie. If you're in the Southeast I think it's worth looking for them at gun shows.
About

·
Registered
318 Posts
The last few I have been to in my area have been so overpriced that it was ridiculous. Dealers were griping about how no one was buying, but you could go to Bass Pro, Academy, or Gander Mt. and get better prices. I had purchased some powder the weekend before the last one at a LGS about an hour from my house. The gun show prices were anywhere from $5 to $8 a pound over what I paid. I would say that around here, the shows have really sucked on prices for the last 5 or 6 years. I would like to go to the Market Hall show in Dallas some time though. I hear it is impressive.

·
Banned
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Been thinking about going to the RK show at the Atlanta Expo Center (aka old Richway) myself but can't go until Sunday. On the plus side, may be leftovers but sometimes you can get a deal.

Let us know if it's with the trip.
I used to set up dealers tables at gunshows and have been to many of them. Sunday afternoon was the best time to make deals it was take home some cash or take the stuff back home. Times have changed and lately the folks with the better pricing know it and don't budge. I may be going back tomorrow too.

It's a good thing my favorite dealer was out of several guns but they're local and restocking so all bets are off.

·
Banned
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Temptation

I was thinking of getting an SR1911 and maybe...

The new LCP, the custom, looks pretty good and I might pick one up. The sights are a lot easier to pickup then the nubs on the original LCP.

I wanted to pick up an LCR in 357 but I stumbled on an SP101 2" double action only for a lot less than I paid for the 4". I wasn't sure about the DA only and later found out they had a reguiar 2" SP101 stashed somewhere. When I was trying to decide the last 357 LCR disappeared. (that's the hole next to the SP101)

When I found out they didn't have any SR1911 I almost panic bought a SR45 because $369 seemed like a decent price but others must have thought to to as they disappeared.

·
Bat Man
1,666 Posts
Cool. I've bought quite a few guns from Cherokee. Last time the guy recognized me... Don't know if that's good or bad.

Did you see any single actions around? Sometimes I see some around, other times nothing.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Went to a gun show today, too. While negotiating a deal on a nice used SP101, some [email protected]$$ walks up and buys it literally right out of my hands.
"Sorry kid" he says (I'm 32) "I guess I'll be takin that from ya" and he proceeds to remove it from my grap.
I looked to the dealer and he just shrugged "First come, first serve"
WTF???? I was there first. What he meant was "Money talks"
Best part is, he sold it to that guy for EXACTLY the amount I had in my pocket.

Frustrating....

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,253 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
For one, the cable is through the trigger guard, all the guns shown still had there chambers closed and magazines in. No way to tell are empty and the rope on the trigger could possibly cause discharge if dropped and loaded. Murphy loves these situations.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Fred and Planeguy.

Cool! Those Ruger tables have more new handguns than the last gun show that I went to.

Speaking of gun shows, Hickok45 shared this 3 hrs ago· I snapped this at the Louisville Gun Show today. When I saw this table of guns, my first thought was, "What is wrong with this picture?" Can anybody ELSE guess what I meant by that?
http://www.facebook.com/264641617269/photos/a.10152231806272270.1073741833.264641617269/10153089843437270/?type=1&theater
Well, you just blew 1/2 hour of my time with more to come :D. I never thought to look for a Facebook page on Hickok45. The picture with Gunny was priceless - boy would I have liked to have been there! And I had no idea how danged big Hickok45 was, he is one seriously big dude.

But I don't really know what's wrong on the table except mags being in. :eek:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Most of the guns shows in my area have been over priced by a lot. Seems like they are more hobbyists who like to show their stuff and talk about rather than business people trying to make a sale. There were only a few dealers out of 200 that were selling anything. Doesn't make sense to me to waste a weekend and pay for a table not to move merchandise.

·
Banned
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I saw a High Point 45 for $150 and thought about trying it. Maybe I could use it for a truck gun or throwaway.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Most of the guns shows in my area have been over priced by a lot. Seems like they are more hobbyists who like to show their stuff and talk about rather than business people trying to make a sale. There were only a few dealers out of 200 that were selling anything. Doesn't make sense to me to waste a weekend and pay for a table not to move merchandise.
I second that: $200 over new retail for a used gun is not uncommon. I'm all for free markets and ask whatever you want...but I chuckle when I overhear those same vendors grumbling how nobody will buy anything. A guy snapped at me last time because I didn't want to pay retail for a beat-up plastic Ruger box. But I do find deals and that's the fun part for me. Pretty much every firearm I bought at a gun show could be sold for more than what I paid ... So it's very little risk with the benefit of trying something new.

OP, what did you get? :D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts