Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Okay it's back to the gunshow to see whats left. I actually have to pickup a car near there so it makes sense, not really but it sounds good if you say it fast, to go back for a second day.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Unless you go to a gun show in a larger city, most gun shows in FLA have become an expensive joke. The prices are high and many vendors try and scare the older folks into buying a gun they have no business owning ("Your house may be invaded....you need this $900 1911 to protect yourself!"). Ammo prices are off the charts, and most boxes of ammo look they've been through a hurricane.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,293 Posts
Well, you just blew 1/2 hour of my time with more to come :D. I never thought to look for a Facebook page on Hickok45. The picture with Gunny was priceless - boy would I have liked to have been there! And I had no idea how danged big Hickok45 was, he is one seriously big dude.

But I don't really know what's wrong on the table except mags being in. :eek:
The top-rated comment was by Jeff Snoddy: "Why you you cable up a high point?"
Hickok45: "Yeah, why would you cable up a Hi Point? Actually, they are good guns, just inexpensive and large."
:D

There's a gun show next week and that's the last one I went to last year. The only reason I I like this one is parking's free. There are hundreds of used rifles, a few used handguns, and even fewer new handguns.
With 22lr now available at my favorite LGS, I wonder if I'd still see the guys selling ammo at outrageous prices.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I second that: $200 over new retail for a used gun is not uncommon. I'm all for free markets and ask whatever you want...but I chuckle when I overhear those same vendors grumbling how nobody will buy anything. A guy snapped at me last time because I didn't want to pay retail for a beat-up plastic Ruger box. But I do find deals and that's the fun part for me. Pretty much every firearm I bought at a gun show could be sold for more than what I paid ... So it's very little risk with the benefit of trying something new.

OP, what did you get? :D
Went to one here in Texas this weekend, and one retailer had MSRP prices on all of his. Saw an Alaskan .454 for $1099, I asked the guy why he was asking so much for it, and he got mad at me. He said you won’t find one for less anywhere, then I told him I bought mine new a few months ago for $870, then he got really mad. You used to be able to get deals at gun shows, those days are gone.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I remember a time when you didn't have to worry about security cables, mags being removed, and such. I still remember being perplexed at why anyone would need to ruin how a gun feels when handling it by having a cable running through it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The last gun show I went to was just too crowded. The venue was just too small for the crowd. I saw a few good deals but not in what I was looking for. I felt like cattle being led to the slaughter house. I will just do a smaller show next time.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Prices are to high around here. Went to one a few weeks ago to pick up some powder after calling the vendor to ask if he was going to be there, said yes. Of course he wasn't. Saw plenty of "Gun Show Special" Bushmaster AR15 lowers for $100. It's as if the dealers think we don't have the internet and know that they are currently $50. Saw some Single 7s for $680. Which is a more than Gunbroker prices. It was well over $100 more than what I paid for one at a LGS. Beat up Savage 99s for $1200. I'm still angry the powder vendor wasn't there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
the suncoast gun shows in fla aren't good, half the show is one retailer that you can go to their brick and mortar and get a better deal. theres only 1 ammo seller at them offering a descent price (ballistic performance out of Miami, 1000rnds 223 $300) others where up to twice as much.

otherwise have to go early first day to find ok prices (wouldn't really call it a deal, just the convience of handling gun over an online auction) from private sellers. only advantage is the quicke ccw class and getting to see a lot of guns in one place.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Sounds like my area ain't the only one with crazy Gun Show prices!! Seems it used to be a rare valuable firearm was going for big bucks. Now a cheap Marlin or Mossberg model not produced anymore are going for crazy money. I only go now for to check for cleaning kits or stuff like range bags. Bet many of these vendors pack up they're unsold wares on Sunday nite and take em home unsold.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
If I go to a gun show its just to look not to buy to expensive for my likes! A gun show is good if you are looking for something that normally is hard to find etc or possibly look for a rare gun etc. But like I said just to look, I lucked out about 10 years back at a gun show on a nice Mernickle IWB holster for a Officer's sized 1911 & met Mr. Mernickle he seemed like a really nice guy he makes some very nice holsters. But thats about it on my purchase's most of the time I try to get most of my shooting needs ammo etc at a LGS.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,293 Posts
If I go to a gun show its just to look not to buy to expensive for my likes! A gun show is good if you are looking for something that normally is hard to find etc or possibly look for a rare gun etc. But like I said just to look, I lucked out about 10 years back at a gun show on a nice Mernickle IWB holster for a Officer's sized 1911 & met Mr. Mernickle he seemed like a really nice guy he makes some very nice holsters. But thats about it on my purchase's most of the time I try to get most of my shooting needs ammo etc at a LGS.
I plan to go with a friend and his father-in-law just to spend time together with likeminded people.
With CA's 10-day wait, I don't see any benefits of buying a firearm from someone who won't be in the same place 10 days later.

·
Banned
551 Posts
Went to a gun show today, too. While negotiating a deal on a nice used SP101, some [email protected]$$ walks up and buys it literally right out of my hands.
"Sorry kid" he says (I'm 32) "I guess I'll be takin that from ya" and he proceeds to remove it from my grap.
I looked to the dealer and he just shrugged "First come, first serve"
WTF???? I was there first. What he meant was "Money talks"
Best part is, he sold it to that guy for EXACTLY the amount I had in my pocket.

Frustrating....
You can't teach manners after a certain age (which I am not qualified to judge to be how many years).

·
Banned
551 Posts
Unless you go to a gun show in a larger city, most gun shows in FLA have become an expensive joke. The prices are high and many vendors try and scare the older folks into buying a gun they have no business owning ("Your house may be invaded....you need this $900 1911 to protect yourself!"). Ammo prices are off the charts, and most boxes of ammo look they've been through a hurricane.
I have to agree. Mostly I just look these days. That is sometimes worth the price of admission. Whatever happened to the free gun shows?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I don't go to gun shows much anymore. To much junk and to many high prices. I think the last time I found a bargain at a gunshow Reagan was president.:D

·
Registered
571 Posts
its been years since we went to a gun show .... the folks there selling products are there to make a profit .... as they should be .... setting up a display at most shows isn't cheap and they have to price their merchandise to cover the cost .... here again, as it should be .... to stay in business they have to know the value of their products, the demand for their products, and what their market will pay .... anyone going to a gun show expecting a great deal will usually leave disappointed .... we've actually been to shows and the week after the show getting a better price at the regular location for the business .... to me they are a nice place to see and get a hand's on look at what's new and what's available

·
Registered
7 Posts
Went to a gun show today, too. While negotiating a deal on a nice used SP101, some [email protected]$$ walks up and buys it literally right out of my hands.
"Sorry kid" he says (I'm 32) "I guess I'll be takin that from ya" and he proceeds to remove it from my grap.
I looked to the dealer and he just shrugged "First come, first serve"
WTF???? I was there first. What he meant was "Money talks"
Best part is, he sold it to that guy for EXACTLY the amount I had in my pocket.

Frustrating....
Yeah, the would make me mad, too. But the dealer was an *** for sure

21 - 40 of 47 Posts