Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was driving to work today and had my CZ 223 cased on the seat of my truck, i got to thinking if a cop pulls me over, is this a concealed weapon?

i have my CCW permit and carry a SR9c most of the time, today i took the CZ to shoot a little at work. Then i got to thinking if this is a concealed weapon then What if i carry the SR9 in a covered holster outside on my hip! Is that considered concealed or open carry?

·
Registered
342 Posts
i was driving to work today and had my CZ 223 cased on the seat of my truck, i got to thinking if a cop pulls me over, is this a concealed weapon?

i have my CCW permit and carry a SR9c most of the time, today i took the CZ to shoot a little at work. Then i got to thinking if this is a concealed weapon then What if i carry the SR9 in a covered holster outside on my hip! Is that considered concealed or open carry?
Depends on your state law.

In NC, carrying it where you can reach it, but covered is concealed. Even if that is just a jacket that fell over the gun. Certainly if it is cased. NC makes no distinction between loaded and unloaded guns for purposes of concealed carry. However, having a CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit as per NC definitions) you could carry it concealed in that case. This is one of the reasons I got a CHP, so if I was carrying openly and something fell over the gun, I wouldn't be accused of carrying concealed.

On the other hand, NC is an open carry state. If you took the gun out of the case, and simply laid it on the seat, you are good to go as long as you can legally possess said firearm. Even without a CCW permit.

I suspect as to the covered holster probably depends on your state law's definitions, as well as the interpretation of the cop. Remember, whether it is legal or not, the cop will still do what he's gonna do, and let you "tell it to the judge."
If the holster screams "Holster," it would probably be open carry. But many covered holsters are designed to not be obvious holsters (i.e. looks like a cell phone case), in which case it would probably be concealed.

Again, in your state, YMMV.​

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
ib4hoyt, First welcome to the forum. As to your 2 questions, I'm not sure what it is that concerns you. You wrote that you have a CCW permit. So, the pistol in the box should be no problem. :confused:

And, your hypothetical of carrying your SR9 in a "COVERED" holster is also, no problem. :confused:

What you should check on though is, is it required in your state to inform the officer who has stopped you that you are a CCW holder and that you are carrying or otherwise concealing a gun in you car or on your person.

Here, in Florida we are under no such obligation. But, it's my understanding that in some states, it is required. You should be clear on that requirement.

Oh, and BTW, if your state does NOT have that requirement I would never, personally, volunteer it. ( I know a lot of folks will disagree with me on that, but that's my practice and my opinion.) :D

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
CC means the average Joe public does not know you have a weapon and if they can tell you do then you are open carrying.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Nope cased in open view is not concealed carry.
So you get to shoot at work? How does that work! I can't even bring a firearm on the premises...company policy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, im the boss so we shoot :D anything from small pistols to i think a 280 Remington was the biggest so far....if someone brings a rocket launcher im sure we can find somewhere to set that puppy off to.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
well, im the boss so we shoot :D anything from small pistols to i think a 280 Remington was the biggest so far....if someone brings a rocket launcher im sure we can find somewhere to set that puppy off to.
That's great, I wish you were my boss.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts