Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get this pistol Ruger® 22/45™ Threaded Barrel Rimfire Pistol Models . The problem now is that my mom is anti-gun and it took me 5 years to convince her to get a rifle (my dad actually bought it) for me. I now have a Marlin xt-22 and a Ruger 10-22. (yes I am 15 but I have more knowledge about guns than my parents, which is odd). After showing my parents, she is now for the AWB, and my dad says he will get it for my Christmas present. She then said a bunch of stuff about how it was made for killing and now she is voting for Obama. First of all how do I change my mom's mind? Ironically she wants to go to a women's shooting class. Also where can I get a good silencer for this caliber? (.22lr) I won't get the silencer until I am older, because of the tax stamp. Sorry if my grammar is bad, it's not my best skill. (Fun fact: unlike the people I see in my school I don't play COD or get my gun experience from videogames or TV shows... and this is my first post)

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I'm not sure that you can change your mom's mind or, at least, say anything that will change her mind. Some folks get the notion that rifles and shotguns are okay, but pistols are evil and so on. Once they get this emotional, rather than logical, position in their head, it's darn hard to get it out. By all means, get your 22/45 and then show her how responsible you are with it. That may do more than anything you could say to convince her that pistols are okay.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I'm not sure that you can change your mom's mind or, at least, say anything that will change her mind.
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
Pretty much as above.
Me, I'd go ahead and get it if you've set your mind to it.
Then show that you are responsible, actions speak.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Silencers, especially for 22s, allow people to practice and hunt without wearing hearing protection (and without upsetting the peace and quiet)-- that's a good thing. It allows some folks to even build mini-ranges in their basements. Also, not a bad thing.

Further, these guns are selling by the thousands -- does anybody think there are that many would-be murderers out there?

On her side, you are but 15. She is concerned about you. Perhaps her arguments are not the best, but give her credit for caring about you (one mistake with a gun can be tragic). When you grow up you will have plenty of time to buy whatever you like.

As for her voting for Obama, if this is her excuse -- then she was looking for any excuse to vote for him anyway. Romney will not lose this election because of that vote (I think Kentucky is safe).

Good luck and my best to your Mom.

·
Banned
359 Posts
That women's shooting class is your friend. Many antis change their attitude once they actually experience the fun and satisfaction of the shooting sports. You might also direct her to the Armed Citizen blog on the NRA's site: The Armed Citizen Blog | by: NRA Staff

This may help her understand the importance of self-defense.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I agree that your mom attending the Women's Shooting Class will be a benefit to you. Once your mom finishes her class then I would ask her if you could take a class (if you haven't already) to show her that you have given handgun ownership a lot of thought and you understand the responsibilities. Also, take your mom shooting if possible and let her see your knowledge, skills, safety awareness, and responsible attitude.

Good luck!

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
First and foremost, welcome to the forums. I hope you'll stick around and participate in some discussions with us! It's a great place to learn about firearms and lots of things related to the shooting sports.

Second, perhaps you could try finding a basic pistol class and offer to take it with your mom. I know, I know... it's dorky to do anything with mom, especially at 15, but she might see it as an endearing proposition and she could see the type of information you're getting first-hand, which could work well in your favor. As for the dorkiness, I'm 28 and I still feel like a dork every time I walk into a grocery store with my mom. :)

As for the Obama thing... You're probably not changing her mind. Not this close to the election. She's made up her mind and, unfortunately, you're not likely to affect her decision with anything you say. At this point, you may do more harm than good arguing with her about politics.

As for the AWB... Go online (Google is your friend on this one) and look at murder/crime statistics before, during and after the AWB of the 90's. I think you'll be surprised to see that it didn't have an affect on the number of murders committed by people with "scary-looking" guns. Don't use the argument that a semi-auto is a semi-auto, though. She'll take all your guns away! :)

As for silencers for the .22, check out the Silencerco Sparrow. Gets great reviews.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Welcome aboard from North Carolina, you sound like a good level headed young man. You will find a lot of good advice here. As for your mom I think she knows you are a good kid and owning a pistol won't change you a bit.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
First thing is don't let your mom vote, the party she wants to vote for puts these crazy anti gun ideas in her head.
Pretty much..... :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree, take a class(whether you need it or not) with your mom if possible. If she is going to a woman only class, that may be enough to push her over the edge to allow you to get pistol. Still, agree to a class if she wants.

I would not push for a silencer. Although the argument about quiet shooting is correct, I'm sure a silencer immediately connects in her mind to crime

Good luck,
Patsy
a mom and grandma

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure that you can change your mom's mind or, at least, say anything that will change her mind. Some folks get the notion that rifles and shotguns are okay, but pistols are evil and so on. Once they get this emotional, rather than logical, position in their head, it's darn hard to get it out. By all means, get your 22/45 and then show her how responsible you are with it. That may do more than anything you could say to convince her that pistols are okay.
well... i want the one that has the "scary" weaver rails. oh no its black too! but i will try to get it if its not too expensive.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I want to get this pistol Ruger® 22/45™ Threaded Barrel Rimfire Pistol Models . The problem now is that my mom is anti-gun and it took me 5 years to convince her to get a rifle (my dad actually bought it) for me. I now have a Marlin xt-22 and a Ruger 10-22. (yes I am 15 but I have more knowledge about guns than my parents, which is odd). After showing my parents, she is now for the AWB, and my dad says he will get it for my Christmas present. She then said a bunch of stuff about how it was made for killing and now she is voting for Obama. First of all how do I change my mom's mind? Ironically she wants to go to a women's shooting class. Also where can I get a good silencer for this caliber? (.22lr) I won't get the silencer until I am older, because of the tax stamp. Sorry if my grammar is bad, it's not my best skill. (Fun fact: unlike the people I see in my school I don't play COD or get my gun experience from videogames or TV shows... and this is my first post)
Great to see another "youngster" on here. I'm 16. My mom isn't pro-gun, but not anti-gun. My father likes guns but is in no way a gun nut like me. The best thing to do would be to exhibit the best gun safety you possibly can not only when she's around, but all the time. Even ask her to shoot with you sometimes. You won't change how she thinks with guns, but you can change how she thinks about you and guns.
Best of luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts