Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought several S&W guns over the years, but I just can't seem to get a good one. Here's my chronicle:

Smith & Wesson M&P Compact. Front sight fell off and magazines would drop from the gun without pressing the magazine catch. Sent it back to the factory and they replaced the front sight and installed a new magazine catch.

Smith & Wesson M&P full size. Front sight fell off and it wouldn't feed JHP ammo. Sent it back to the factory and they replaced the front sight, replaced the barrel, and polished the feed ramp of the new barrel. When I got the gun back, I noticed that some of the metal parts on the frame were rusted and pitted. I sent the gun back and S&W replaced the frame. After all was said and done, the only part what was original to my gun was the slide and rear sight.

Smith & Wesson 642. The finish on the frame would flake off and corrode. I sent the gun back and they refinished the frame.

Smith & Wesson 442. The frame had an extremely sharp edge near the crane that would draw blood. I sent the gun back and they replaced the gun with a new one.

While their customer service is great, 4 out of 4 guns is not a good record. I'm sticking to Rugers.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For the record, I had a 686 that was customized by RevolverArmorer.com. Matt did a good job of refinishing, bead blasting, and trigger job. This was a great revolver, but seeing how a gunsmith had fixed it up before I bought it, I don't know if there were any QA problems.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I only have one S&W, a 442 snubby that I bought a few months ago.
It shoots well and the fit and finish is okay. So far I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I bought my wife a 38spl Body Guard w/laser. Very inconsistent primer strikes and two FTF because of them in one day. I called S&W and they didn't even want to see the primers.

S&W mailed it back to the wrong address (so, not FedEx fault). I had to drive 50 miles to find it.

Opened the box: no info on what they did, found, tested, nothing. So I called. They "replaced the trigger spring".

But they never test fired it to see the problem or even know if they had fixed anything.

So much for the mighty S&W.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My S&W M&P40 FS has been nothing but perfect so far. I also have a pre model 10 revolver that is about 105 years old and shoots pretty well. I heard about the compact magazine issue though... Bummer..

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
S&W generally has good customer service. So I'm not bashing the company by only focusing on the negatives. I'm nevertheless disappointed with their quality assurance. Good thing I have Ruger to buy guns from :D

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
I have a sample of the first S&W .45 auto, the 645. The DA pull isn't so hot, especially when compared to the Third Gen series, but it's reliability is beyond question.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
S&W

I've owned and shot high quality DA revolvers (Colt, Dan Wesson, Smith and Wesson, and Ruger) for 45 years. All four of these brands are "world class" for the common man ( very few of us want to invest thousands in a Korth or Manhurian), and non are perfect. I've had a few issues with all of them, and I would have to say that the brand I probably needed to have repaired the most often were my Colts ( Pythons, Diamonbacks, and Detective Specials):)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wow, 4 out of 4 is pretty bad. All 3 of mine have been great so far, even the "horrible" Sigma 9. So happy with those 3, just added an original SD9. Hope I didn't jinx myself. :D

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Although I haven't owned any yet, I plan on adding a few S&W revolvers to my collection someday. Hard to beat their beautiful styling and quality.

I have absolutely zero interest in any of their semi-autos or rifles.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've bought three revolvers from S&W during the last couple of years. All shoot fantastic. I'd buy a S&W without any more hesitation than I'd have with Ruger. And I trust both companies to make something good if I did get a bad one - but both companies have sold me great guns.

Guess it comes with going to church once a week...:D

·
Registered
97 Posts
i have a full size M&P 9 and 40 never had any issues with them i do know the first compacts had a bunch of issues but they have been worked out from what iv been told iv never had any feed or ejection issues with either of my M&P's my bodyguard is the only S&W iv had issue with i put maybe 20 rounds through it when i bought it and the recoil somehow messed the laser up 2 weeks at smith and got it back with a brand new laser. i live about 25 mins from S&W so that helps a little

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Between Ruger Revolvers and Glock pistols...I have no need to stray that far!

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I've owned two S&W handguns, a 586 .357 Mag. and a model 29 .44 Mag. both were great guns and had great triggers. Excellent to hunt with. No complaints.

·
Banned
81 Posts
The new Smith and Wesson M&P's are notorious for problems. More quality control issues I think. Buy a Model 10,15,66,686. They are all great. It's their new stuff that's been problematic.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,322 Posts
I have eight S&W handguns and all of them have been flawless. Some are over thirty years old and one was purchased last week.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have a S&W M&P15 that I love. I can't speak to the handguns at the moment but, I've only ever heard good things. That said, if I had 4 duds in a row, heck 2 duds in a row, it would certainly leave a sour taste in my mouth.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I have several of the older S&W's revolvers. They are all of the older American craftsmanship we don't see today. Same with my Colts. I've only bought a couple of the new Smiths over the last 6 years or so. I got the wife a M637 in 05 and I bought a 442 for my carry gun almost 2 years ago. They are no way near the same quality my older Smiths are. I've never bought into the S&W semi autos just like I haven't with the Ruger semi autos.I remember back in the 70's when I worked for a GS all the problems we saw with the Smith 39's and 59's. So that soured me with the Smith semi auto's. I'm sure they are more reliable then they were back almost 40 years ago.I feel there's better choices for semi autos. I do have a M41 I bought around 1973 and I wouldn't trade that gun for the world.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a few S&W's Model 10, 19, 66, 36, 686, and now an M&P on the way. I have not had a minutes trouble from any of the Smith's other than the Model 10 4" wants to go shooting way too much! I also have no doubt that if the M&P40 is not up to par, S&W will make it right.

Mechanical things break, they have QC problems, sometimes you get a lemon, etc... It is how the company makes those things right that defines the company in my opinion.

3screw41mag

1 - 20 of 32 Posts