Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, someone gave me a very small (1/4" x 1/4") magnet.

This tiny magnet, has some awesome pull. It can hold about 10 pieces of 8x11 paper against the refrigerator. Curiosity lead me to do some research on this type of magnet. I learned that this magnet is made of a rare material called Neodymium. Magnets made from this material come in various grades, starting from N38, with N50 being the highest grade posssible. N50 magnets are the worlds strongest natural magnets, only electrical magnets can beat the pull of the mighty N50! Armed with this new knowledge, I purchased 6 1"x1/4" cylinder Neodymium N50 Grade magnets off eBay...

Today they arrived, and within 15 minutes, they got me. You can not understand what I mean by "They Got Me" until you have messed with N50 magnets before. The pull on these are so strong that if your finger is in the way of the two magnets coming together they will do this to you:

What happen was, when they arrived, they were in this position:

and after messing with them, they snapped into this positon:

and of course, my finger was in the way. Ouch.

Now the magnets are in the middle of my office floor, and I am contemplating on what to do with them. Before they arrived, I was going to use them for the refrigerator, to hold the kids "artwork". But they require over 27lbs of force to move them on the refrigerator. My wife and kid can not move them. So for now, they stay in the middle of the office, away from all metal...

·
Registered
333 Posts
They are some strong magnets! I had one that was a 1" cube, I was picking up power tools with it. A guy has to be carefull with them thats forsure!

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
That reminds me of when I was in the Air Force... The radar system used a magnatron... A type of tube used to make microwave energy...
It has two 5 pound magnets... talk about ouch! It only takes once...[:0]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like something you could use to go fishing in the river with.WOW a 36 horse Johnson outboard motor.
PLVMBTOOLMAN

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Awesome!!God knows more about electricity than we do! From an atom to a lightning storm-it fascinates me. My Granddad bought me a set of 3" ceramic magnets appx 1/2" thick with nickel-sized holes-"Stackpole" was on them-strong and had years of fun till I dropped and shattered them-I gotta have some like you have...used to be a co. called Edmund Scientific in Barrington, N.J-they had a mail order catalog and every kind of magnet I could imagine...I always take apart speakers and headphones for the magnets-never studied physics but I'll bet gravity is electrical, too-when I was a boy they had Li'l Abner Comics-Dick Tracy was somehow a part of that-and a scientist named Diet Smith invented a magnetic-controlled plane and little ones like garbage cans with crutches that would hover down on criminals-bet it could be done....you have opened Pandora's box, Keith-bet more than a couple pinched fingers are ahead!!!Soak that in red wine daily and it will take the soreness out-inside and out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts