Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mini 30 bagged two boars. One was perfect barbque size. Man that 7.62x39 packs a punch. Dropped both of them where they were standing with shoulder shots. Got clean pass throughs. It really smacks them. Its fun to shoot too. Effective range is 200 yards.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Excellent. Pics??

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Hog hunting, that is on my bucket list. Did you use soft points, FMJ, or hollow points.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Never happend if we don't get to see it.

Its like I danced on the moon last night, but my iPhone battery was dead so sorry, no pics.

·
Super Moderator
22,137 Posts
Sounds like pig roast time. Congrats.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hog hunting, that is on my bucket list. Did you use soft points, FMJ, or hollow points.
I used FMJ to punch through the boney shield. If you shoot through the ribcage hollow points are good but that's if you don't mind breaking the ribs. I prefer to have them intact for barbeque.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I have long thought the 7.62x39 would be perfect for hogs. We have big mule deer in the mountains here, shots are longer on them, so I use a .308 or 7mm Mag. But the whitetail down in the valleys here are much smaller, and ranges are usually 100-150 yards max. The 7.62x39 with a decent bullet puts them down easily.
My Mini-30's are so fun to shoot, I don't even shoot my Mini-14 anymore.
Chica, were you hunting at night or in the day ? Scope or red dot ?
My niece lives about an hour north/northwest of Austin, I will have to get down there one day and do a hog hunt.
Pics of the hogs would be nice !
My Mini-30 with red dot ( Cerakoted Grey):

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've watched a ton of hog hunting videos and it looks like something I'd like to do but here in North NJ, there are none as far as I know. The NJ Hunting & Trapping Digest mentions feral hogs being in Gloucester County area though.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I've watched a ton of hog hunting videos and it looks like something I'd like to do but here in North NJ, there are none as far as I know. The NJ Hunting & Trapping Digest mentions feral hogs being in Gloucester County area though.
we have plenty of hogs but they are the two legged kind, LOL :D

Sandog, which red dot is on your mini? How do you like it?

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Great..... but no pics.....

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
:). I bet ya' had fun. ... Good shootin'

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm a shooter and not a hunter...but do feel like I would really like hog hunting instead of the "sitting in a tree stand waiting for a buck" thing......sounds like a great time!

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
My Mini 30 bagged two boars. One was perfect barbque size. Man that 7.62x39 packs a punch. Dropped both of them where they were standing with shoulder shots. Got clean pass throughs. It really smacks them. Its fun to shoot too. Effective range is 200 yards.
Bueno! Nice.

Hog hunting is a hoot. I was interesting in the effect of the 7.62 x 39 on hog. Seems to be a good round since I have use 5.56 and .17hmr.

Interesting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm a shooter and not a hunter...but do feel like I would really like hog hunting instead of the "sitting in a tree stand waiting for a buck" thing......sounds like a great time!
Hey MrJimRuger - Watch a bunch of hog hunting videos on YouTube and you'll be wanting to get out there and hunt them. I just started hunting this fall and while my son took two squirrels, I got zip! He's going for deer tomorrow (Youth Day here in NJ). As far as hogs, they're only hunting them in South Jersey. I'd go for it if I had the chance!

Reactions: MrJimRuger

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
we have plenty of hogs but they are the two legged kind, LOL :D

Sandog, which red dot is on your mini? How do you like it?
Burris FastFire III, in a Burris "Picatinny Protector" mount. The Fastfire is just about perfect on a Mini. It is tiny, weighs less than an ounce, great battery life, and dot is easy to see, even for my 58 year old eyes. At $230, it is a "mid range" dot, a step above the cheapies, but not as spendy as the Aimpoint micros, Deltapoints, etc.
I plan on getting a couple more soon, one for my 870 Tac, and RIA 1911 in .22 TCM.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Congrats OP! I would love to hog hunt, but too far north.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Chica , good job .
How fun , I've always wanted to shoot a wild hog . I use to hunt them occasionally when I lived in California for awhile . Now that I've lived in Utah the last 23 years ,I really don't think I will be seeing any . Like how they taste too !
Oh well, guess I'll have to just " make do " with our mule deer , elk , and antelope , ha ha! Enjoy, congratulations .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts