Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't sure about where this goes, but here goes. I have purchased a few guns off Gun Broker. I must say, I have not had a problem. Sometimes I just wonder through looking at what folks have for sale. Sometimes I see a specific gun model for sale by many people, and the price usually varies $100-$300 depending upon condition, options, etc... Then theres the one person who has the exact same gun for sale for $1,000-$1,500 over the normal listing price. Nothing special (except maybe in their minds), about it. This doesn't happen often, but enough that I just roll my eyes and wonder. Of course the gun they have listed never gets a bid.

·
Exchequer
4,584 Posts
Someone had an Armscor M200 listed on Gunbroker for (I think) around $700. The MSRP on one is $275.

I guess anything is worth what someone else is willing to pay.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I've seen it plenty of times on GB and other auction/sales sites (gunsinternational.com is great for it!). Usually not $1000-$1500 over average prices but quite often 2-4X over book value. Those are the listings we make fun of on one of the FB pages I belong to.

It's even more fun when the seller tries to justify their crazy opening price with the word "Rare!" while I'm sitting there going "It's the most common model, in the most common caliber, with the most common barrel length, and the most common finish.... they ONLY made MILLIONS of these!"

What really blows my mind are the times when the actual bidding hits crazy numbers on an something that might be a little "special" but not THAT "special".

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
It's been awhile, but I saw this on GB, an individual had 2 or 3 #1's up at the same time...........all over priced. He listed one as LNIB and went on to say it had a few scratches on the wood. LNIB, wrong, I consider LNIB as less than 5 rounds through it and perfect blue/wood. Really he just had some slightly USED Ruger #1's that never got bid on.

Here Kitty Kitty

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Husband to wife something like this." Honey I did list the gun on gunbroker,I don't know why nobody bid on it" Guess I will just have to keep it. SMILE
You may be on to something. I like the way you think Pond Scum..

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's been awhile, but I saw this on GB, an individual had 2 or 3 #1's up at the same time...........all over priced. He listed one as LNIB and went on to say it had a few scratches on the wood. LNIB, wrong, I consider LNIB as less than 5 rounds through it and perfect blue/wood. Really he just had some slightly USED Ruger #1's that never got bid on.

Here Kitty Kitty
You are sooooooo correct!!!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Not about a gun...but two instances of bidding craziness I am aware of was on eBay...Two guys got in a bidding war for instructions how to make a Ghillie suit. Two badly duplicated pages. $25.00! I got mine for $2.25. Another time, an airplane model kit from the '60s was on sale. Well, I was interested, because I had built one in college...cost for the kit $6.95. I stopped bidding at $25. Then two guys got into it...ending price, $275!:eek:. I later got in touch with the "winning bidder", and asked how come he had spend that much for the kit. He said the only reason he could come up with was it somehow reminded him of his dad. I couldn't fault the reason, but I have always wondered...

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
There's a sucker born every minute !

Usually one will come along and take the bait .... it like fishing , you have to be patient and dangle the bait a while and wait ....before the big fish comes along !

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
780 Posts
I watch the SE PA Armslist listings. For the longest time, this guy sold these two, cheesy swords, listing them every day. The listing was "TWO SWORDS, ONE PRICE!"...and they were cheap replicas and he had some ungodly price on them.

He listed these things every day, for months.

Finally, someone must have gotten fed up, because they made up a listing "HEY TWO-SWORDS GUY...NO ONE WANTS THEM!"

I thought it was funny as heck.

Aqualung

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,320 Posts
Similar to rewriting history and winning a Pulitzer for it, who would question you now that your work’s garbage when it’s been legitimized?

There was this scammer selling a home theater speaker system (just the speakers) to unsuspecting buyers in parking lots. He would show them an amazon or eBay listing showing the exact same product for a thousand dollars more than his price of $200.
Finding it on the internet gives the impression that the buyer’s legitimately getting a bargain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts