Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently traveled to Germany for a business meeting with my European counterparts and as a "team-building" exercise, They had arrainged a suprise skeet shooting event. Europeans have the idea that ALL Americans have guns. They also were aware that I was a gun owner (because I somehow made it through 3 airports with a dozen 9mm & .22LR rounds in my backpack by mistake).

There were several German guys that were avid pheasant hunters and I hadn't shot a shotgun in 20-25 years (I used to be a decent shot as a kid) so I figured I was not going to be the best shot there. The best of them had an uncle that was a decorated german national shooting champ with shotguns and pistols.

The German hunters went first as I watch and they were very good. My turn came and I was nervous (it clearly was set up to be E.U. vs. USA) and my fellow Americans had never shot a gun before, missing every clay pigeon. Everyone cheered me as I took my station and choose my shotgun.

I shot well. I missed one of six pigeons, but after I hit them, I shot the largest piece with my second shot out of instinct/reflex. My coworkers cheered and LOVED it.

The top 3 shooters were matched up head to head after 4 rounds of 6 Pigeons. The German, a very good Hungarian, and me "The Cowboy".

The german broke all but one of his on his 2nd shot and was running his mouth and bragging. The hungarian pretty much choked. I chose to go last.

Feeling pretty confident, I told the german to Get his camera ready because I was going to teach him something. He pulled out his phone and began to film. The first 3 pigeons were downed with my first shot, 2 of which left pieces large enough to shoot again with my second shot. my 4th pigeon was shredded with my first shell. I told them to send the last 2 up at the same time. I yelled, "hop" (Their version of "pull") and both pigeons went up. I quickly shot the first, lowered my gun, looked over at the german, and quickly took aim at the second and shot it about 4 feet before it hit the ground. I then sat the gun down and took a seat without saying a word. I felt like a king.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Gee Danger, you reinforced the American gun-owning stereotype.

Way to go! :D

Good story and congratulations. Maybe you'll get more respect around the watercooler now!

Wave

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I can get a copy of the video, I will post it for everyone. It was like a scene out of a Clint Eastwood movie. LOL

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
Good stuff! In my experience, Germans are really cool, or really.....um.....jerks.

Looking forward to the video.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
One other thought Danger - You must work for a pretty cool company to set up that type activity for a team building exercise. I spent 18 years in corporate life and did a lot of those meetings and our team building activities were all sooooo lame. I'm betting your company has European headquarters, no?

Wave

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah that about sums up my observations. All these guys were pretty nice guys, but they seem to be really competitive. I would not consider myself competitive unless I am provoked.

He is checking to see if he has the video. He said he knows he has some of my shots on film, but has "amnesia" about his moment of defeat.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HQ is in Athens, My boss is in the Netherlands and his boss in in Germany. And yes, it is a very good company to work for.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I love shooting clays.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Way to represent the USA "Cowboy"...er I mean Danger!! Would love to see the video if you can get a link.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Awesome!
Good job and thank you. The USA has been having some bad press recently and you have helped to erase some of it.

·
Bat Man
1,672 Posts
Since this is a braging thread... I know how you felt. Something similar happened to me on a range. Years ago I would go to a local range about once a month and shoot 50 rounds or so with my Beretta 40cal. I could do OK but I was no sharp shooter.

Well, one day I arrive and there are about 2 dozen police officers packed in along with some obvious black suit type guys. The owner told me I wouldn't be able to shoot, they were training and qualifying etc... but the instructor of the class was standing there. He asked how long I was going to be, I explained I just came to keep the feel of my gun, generally not more than 30 minutes. He told me to go right in, they'd be atleast that long before they could use the range. So, I got my stuff and went in.

Ever get the feeling you're being watched? As I had my stuff on the bench in front of me, I sent my target out to about 10 yards, loaded the mag etc... I turned around and EVERY one of them was crowded at the windows looking in. The instructor was pointing, talking etc... and they were ALL staring at me. Trained professionals... uhh... OK. I started to just leave and I thought... "nahh, that'd look stupid". So I took a big breath, sighed and figured I'd just get this over with. I picked up my gun and unloaded 10 rounds as fast as I could then put the gun down, literally maybe 5 seconds. I brought the target up and every round hit within a 6" circle. KNOWING there was no way I could repeat that I casually got my stuff together and left while they all still thought I was a king. :cool:

I got several comments, great shooting, wow, not bad... I smiled, said thanks and kept walking.

Yep, felt pretty good. Just don't ask to see it again. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have recieved a video from him. It isn't my moment of glory, but I'll try to post it when I figure out how and have some free time.

Harryball - It is a really good feeling to gain the respect of others that are seasoned and skilled. Glad to hear you were the king of the moment also.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Great story and good shooting. Germans and other Europeans enjoy hunting and shooting, but restrictions are tough there so the the general population don't get to shoot or hunt. In any case about ten years ago a company was hosting several Germans at the rifle range in which I am a member. They were shooting a couple of rifles taking turns. After sighting my Ruger M77 I walked over to see if one of the men standing and waiting would like to shoot the Ruger. His English was good and after he shot, he smiled and commented that the Ruger looked, felt and shot like his WWII Mauser. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts