Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sheepdog predicted this when I first joined the list. I thought he was crazy. Well, I was right about that part, but wrong when I thought I wouldn't keep buying guns!

I've wanted a shotgun for a long time. Shot a lot of skeet with my Dad as a boy with a Remington 870 20 gauge. Tried skeet again last summer with a rented semi-auto and I was awful, but it was a lot of fun!

So today I bought the Remington 870 Express, that's the inexpensive one with the matte finish wood and metal. No frills, but I was pleasantly surprised when it came in today and I went to pick it up. This is not an unattractive gun by any means. I kind of like the matte metal finish. I got it in 20 ga. again, in case my wife wants to try it. And if I get back into skeet and want something with some more oomph, I'll get a 12 ga. and this 20 will make a nice home defense weapon!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
That'l work!
Laminated stock?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Now there's a good truck gun-good to have with you or leave at home for repelling boarders...if you get a chance to pick up another barrel, maybe a short barrel would handle better at home...what's next on your short list???:D

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

Now there's a good truck gun-good to have with you or leave at home for repelling boarders...if you get a chance to pick up another barrel, maybe a short barrel would handle better at home...what's next on your short list???:D
I agree, an 18" or 20" will be nice to have around. I assume they are widely available?

Next on my short list: Ammo. I'm woefully undersupplied. But the REAL answer to your question is, I'm going to try and swing a Blackhawk for Christmas!!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. It's really affordable, too. I thought so, anyway. $335 out the door. And it is exactly the same technology and action that goes into the dressier Wingmaster, which costs twice as much. So I was prepared to not really like how it looks, but I think it looks fine.

Been a long time, but one of the ranges I go to has a little area off to the side with a couple of clay target throwers. I'm going to break this guy in this weekend and see if I remember how to shoot it!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Nice looking shoot-gun. Nothing wrong with that model 870. Bought one for my son and he used it for years duck hunting. I like the looks of that stock too. Probably laminated which makes it pretty strong. On the barrels, they carried them at wallyworld around here or most larger gun shops will have a barrel full of used barrels, 20ga may be a little harder to find. But they are out there. I had one in the 18" variety with the smooth bore and bead front sight.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
You can't have too many guns. I suffer from the same sickness myself -- if you can call it a sickness. Everytime I visit one of the gunshops around me, a gun cries out for me to bring it home. Who am I to ignore it's pleas? :)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Good shotgun Mr.Eddie and it looks just fine. I got an old Savage 20ga I wouldn't take $500 for. I have had it about 30yrs. If you get one you like hang on to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts