Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing bad reviews of winchester bulk hollowpoints in the sr 22. Mine seems to handle them very well no ftf or fte nice groups no dirtier than anything else I've tried. Am I missing something.

· Registered
2,593 Posts
Never had an issue with the Winchester.... Thousands of rounds so far and no problem...

· Registered
2,019 Posts
I've always had good success with Federal bulk for my 10/22. I haven't really had any issues with any ammo. I have yet to try Remington golden bullets "new and improved" bulk though. I'm going to give it a try. They are cheap, so hopefully they work out. Sometimes the firearm determines what ammo it likes and so you'll have to find the ones that work best with your rifle. Generally speaking though, my 10/22 eats just about any ammo I've tried, with almost zero failures.

· Banned
696 Posts
Some ammunition is dirtier then others. Unfortunately there is no perfect ammo unless you reload and that takes a lot of trial and error to get that great ammo. But the factors involved are numerous. Humidity, altitude, temperature range are just a few environmental ones but the biggest is your gun. So best to buy ammo when is on sale on see what works best in your gun. Also a factor is price, say your gun shoots brand "X" and brand "Y" The same. But brand X you notice is dirtier when cleaning your gun and takes longer to get clean. But its $1 Cheaper a 50 box and its steel vs brass. Is it worth it?

Personal preference.

· Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
I just use CCI, never had a problem.

· Registered
356 Posts
I have eight empty Winchester and Federal boxes on my shelf (well actually, they're full of used brass). I know I threw away a few more. I usually only buy bulk ammo for the SR22P -- after all, its purpose was to make shooting affordable again.

I have never had one misfire.

In fact, I've only ever had just a few FTL/FTF/FTEs ever with the SR22P. When I do have any issues, its because the gun is dirty after firing several hundred rounds.

My SR22P has been the most reliable handgun I've ever owned.

· Registered
3,127 Posts
I used to say I've never had a problem with Winchester bulk. But not after this weekend. We quit shooting them after a while. I didn't notice it at first but a bunch of the bullets were loose in the case. During feeding they would bend and not want to chamber. And it was a lot of them.

· Registered
9,176 Posts
It seems like every gun, even another one of the same model can "like" different ammo sometimes. Always a mystery to me. One might like Federal ammo, another might like Winchester, another might digest anything you put into it. It's a trial and error to find out which works in your individual firearm. That's part of the fun in shooting.
Any ammo you have left that doesn't work well in your gun, just trade/sell it to someone else who can use it. If you belong to a gun club, there is bound to be someone who can help you out.
Then sometimes there is the batch problem that comes up once in a while. And again, that might shoot well in someone else's gun.

· Registered
812 Posts
My daughter was shooting Winchester bulk in her Competion Target Model. When she brought it home, the outside of the barrel was black over an inch back from the muzzle. I've never seen any .22 ammo that dirty and I've been shooting for a very long time. She didn't indicate any failures.

· Registered
1,043 Posts
I bought a 555 pack of Winchester .22LR HP's for Black Friday. Didn't get a chance to use them yet.

I just love it when somebody tells me the new stuff I bought may have problems! :mad:

· Banned
359 Posts
I've had a lot of failures to fire and damaged bullets on failures to feed with Winchester bulk ammo. Too many, so I don't buy it any more. The bullets are just too loose in the case and if they aren't perfectly aligned, they catch on the feed ramp and deform.

Remington was the worst ammo for duds I have ever tried. Aguila was the worst for dirty burning and poor accuracy.

CCI Mini-mags and SV run the best in my 10/22s, as far as moderately-priced ammo goes. I haven't tried the luxury match stuff.

· Registered
16 Posts
I have been shooting federal bulk in my Marlin 60 but it is some nasty ammo. I striped the gun cleaned it shot about a 100 rounds in it and it looks like crap. everything in it is black nasty. I am going today to pick up some CCI bulk and see how it works out. Also got a new Ruger 10/22 last night so I am going to see how it likes the CCI's as well.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.