Ruger Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
1,672 Posts
I hadn't noticed negative comments on Winchester. It's Remington Golden Bullets that take the prize for most negatively reviewed from what I've read.

My experience with Winchester is limited to 500 rounds of Winchester Wild Cat, which work just fine. I've used Federal since I found it worked fine and was the lowest priced. Never had any desire to look further after finding that.

· Registered
102 Posts
I've had problems with Federal bulk and American Eagle in my semi-autos. Besides CCI Mini mag, I had good results with Remington Golden Bullets, Winchester bulk 333 and 555, CCI AR, Winchester M*22. No issues in the revolver with any of them.

· Registered
414 Posts
For bulk packs of 22 rimfire I use Federal Bulk. I quit using the Winchester Bulk due to the fact that many of the rounds in the boxes I bought would not chamber due to being crooked (not loaded straight) and not chambering in my Ruger Single Six. I had a rate of about 1 in 8 to 10 rounds having this issue. It could have been just a bad batch of ammo since I havent herd of anyone else having this issue or this could be the "standard" from Winchester. At either rate as soon as I have consumed the rest of it I wont be buying anymore. I havent had a problem like this with the Federal bulk ammo.

If it works for you, then by all means use it. I just wont be buying anymore, thats all.

· Registered
3,613 Posts
Its funny how individual guns like different ammo. My SR22P will hardly function with Federal bulk, but runs perfectly with Blazer Bulk. Lots of people complain about Blazer in the SR22P. Winchester ammo is the most accurate in my Single Ten, Single Six and SP101-22. and functions better than the Federal bulk in my SR22P. Find what works best in your pistol and stick with it.

· Registered
12,850 Posts
I just use CCI, never had a problem.

Funny, CCI doesn't work so good in my LCR22 lol, way too tight to extract and the extractor skips over the rims creating a mess to empty the cylinder. Remingtons and Winchesters have been good.

· Registered
767 Posts
I've always had good success with Federal bulk for my 10/22. I haven't really had any issues with any ammo. I have yet to try Remington golden bullets "new and improved" bulk though. I'm going to give it a try. They are cheap, so hopefully they work out. Sometimes the firearm determines what ammo it likes and so you'll have to find the ones that work best with your rifle. Generally speaking though, my 10/22 eats just about any ammo I've tried, with almost zero failures.
Good luck Sham I think the Rem. stuff is crap I got a box and probably 1 in every 15 ftf. Maybe I just got a bad batch.

· Registered
3,131 Posts
Funny, CCI doesn't work so good in my LCR22 lol, way too tight to extract and the extractor skips over the rims creating a mess to empty the cylinder. Remingtons and Winchesters have been good.
I've had the same experience. The LCR 22 hates the ammo the SR 22 loves. Thought it was just me.

· Registered
373 Posts
I used to say I've never had a problem with Winchester bulk. But not after this weekend. We quit shooting them after a while. I didn't notice it at first but a bunch of the bullets were loose in the case. During feeding they would bend and not want to chamber. And it was a lot of them.
This is exactly the problem I had with Remington bulk, including the new/improved, never with Winchester, and have the best results with Federal.
Kind of a moot point right now, all local shelves bare of ANY brand bulk last 6 weeks

· Registered
12,850 Posts
I couldn't edit my earlier post so quoting it here to update. James pictured some of the standard velocity CCI, I didn't try that variety till now and it works great. I was having problem with the mini mags.

· Registered
587 Posts
I keep seeing bad reviews of winchester bulk hollowpoints in the sr 22. Mine seems to handle them very well no ftf or fte nice groups no dirtier than anything else I've tried. Am I missing something.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Just like you never bad-mouth your car while you're driving it, don't talk about ammo that your gun loves when it's not supposed to. The gun doesn't know, so don't jinx it. Love it, shoot it. I actually shoot a LOT of that stuff in my SR-22's.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.