Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(Picked up my CHL yesterday, and guess what greeted me at the first store I went to? Yeah I know, you don't need to guess. The local K-Mart had a prominent 'No Handguns' sign on the front door. Guess I'm going to have to get out my letter writing gear and send a nice note to the Manager. I'm guessing that every major store in Topeka probably has them. I'll be out and about tonight checking.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quote:Originally posted by white dog

If they don't see your gun you can't see their sign. If they have a no handguns sign it means they are out of stock.
I like the way you think white dog!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
In Tx, if they don't have the state-prescribed sign-right colors and size letters-we're not legally bound to honor it-read the fine print and if Ks didn't do it that way-you guys can have them write it in the law...I ignore lots of Mickey Mouse signs-even in banks where an officer is on duty-if it ever hits the fan-I'm legally covered...I know two major businesses who'll tell you their nationwide policy is no guns-but the local stores are unposted----oh, well......we've learned the law takes some-gives some....concealed means concealed-1 in a million chances you'll need to use it-even less that it'll be in a posted place-I don't fudge on gov't property but stores...have a nice day;)

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kansas does specify a particular sign. It is a picture of a black handgun in a 7" red circle with a red line drawn through it. I wish Kansas was like Missouri. One of the guys said if you get caught with one in a store in Mo all they can do is ask you to leave. Here you can be arrested and your CHL revoked.

A guy at work gave me a little business card that's pretty neat. I've seen it before and you guys probably have too. On the front is the handgun in a red circle with a red line through it, the "equals" sign and a dollar sign in a red circle with a red line through it. It says, "I have noticed your sign and will respect your wishes by taking my business elsewhere. I shop where I can carry."
On the back it says:
As a Kansan with a concealed handgun license, I:
Have no felony convictions.
Have never been convicted of domestic violence.
Have no history of mental illness.
Have passed a background check and have my fingerprints on file with the Kansas Bureau of Investigation.
Have passed mandatory training in both the use of a firearm and the applicable law.
Can you say that about your other customers?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Thats great, if they would read that and think a little it should make good sense. In the wake of some of these senseless shootings it seams they would desire an armed licensed customer.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Thats what we need out here in Washington state Rick, thanks for showing. I don't know if we do have something like that but my neighbor is a rep. in our shooting club and for the local NRA and he'll know. I'll shopw him this sometime over the week end.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've never seen one of those in MI (no guns sign). I think they are more prevalent right after a state goes shall-issue, and the brady types are barraging businesses with mis-information.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Rick, you and your blasted red X-now what did I miss?!!! I don't spend where they're legally posted either, if I can find what I need ANYWHERE else---in Tx we saw a flurry of proper signs-but within a year most went away-combination of bottom line and worry they'd be sued for keeping us from protecting ourselves if the shtf....here, if it's NOT posted, the Mgr. or employee can orally tell you not to carry there and you're bound to honor it-but why would they know if you're carrying properly...I like those cards and have said I'd print them up to give out-haven't yet---sadly, the decision-maker would never see them-lawyers and bean-counters don't often make it to the stores.....

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
In Tacoma, Wa. yesterday they had a school shooting where a young man was shot to death. This is a liberal controlled state mostly from the Seattle area and west side ( Gore and Kerry voters ). Two lady democrat senators and a lady democrat govenor also. They are already talking how to stem the flow of guns but so far nothing has come of it. In the eastern half of this state if a law maker starts talkinggun control he usually doesn't last long.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Now I read this thread and got Rick's picture fine-I don't understand this monster---but I'm glad to see the pic-those would be effective and 8 1/2 X11 would be cheaper than bus. card...

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am finding a lot of places that don't have signs. So far KMart is the only one I ran into, however I've heard that the Mall is posted no guns. I've been to the Civic Theater, in several resturants, grocery stores and Sam's Discount Club and with no problems. I haven't been out and about enough since I got my CHL to know the extent of the restrictions yet. Hopefully, it's isolated.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,310 Posts
Nebraska's CCW law just went into effect on the 1st. We have the same "sign law" as Kansas. Just in the last few days, I have seen signs go up at a lot of businesses. Applebees had a sign on New Years Eve. The Nebraska law states a felony weapons charge if you carry in a place of business when a "no carry" sign is posted.

Put yourself in the bad guys shoes for a moment. If you decided to "knock off" a business, wouldn't you think the signs really mean ROB THIS PLACE - NO THREAT FROM GUN OWNERS???

I wonder if Luby's restaurants are going to post signs?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
The Texas carry law was passed due in part to the efforts of a lady who lost her Mom and Dad in the Lubys' Killeen shooting massacre-noone had a gun-but the lady had one in her vehicle and, had she been carrying, could have easily saved her own parents' lives...as well as many others-"legal" suddenly doesn't seem as important as "prepared"....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts