Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the purpose of the barrel band on the 10/22 [or any rifle so equipped]? Is it actually necessary? Does it have any effect on accuracy if it's too tight or too loose? Just wondering.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Pretty much just a looks thing as far as I can tell. Ive seen some guys take them off saying it makes them a tad more accurate. Not sure If I buy that though.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
A friend of mine has deluxe model no band it shoots as good as mine that has band. I've tried mine with & without bands they shoot best with bands on tight. Why? I think you'd just have to experiment.

·
Registered
350 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Nifty product. I believe I'd buy one for a TD Model. I happen to like my 10/22 Carbine the way it is -- hideous plastic butt plate aside -- & haven't noticed any difference in accuracy w/ or w/out the barrel band attached.
like my wooden stock the way it is, too, but yeah, what is with the plastic butt plate?! as far as the OP the one small benefit that i see is that it's easy peasy to put sling swivels on it.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
It won't fit on the bull barrel models.

If you research a bit, I've seen aftermarket steel barrel bands, and some that are made with a swivel already on them.

I have the Deluxe Sporter and it's fine without a band. Had a Carbine years ago, and I know I wouldn't like the current plastic band as well as metal.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Nifty product. I believe I'd buy one for a TD Model. I happen to like my 10/22 Carbine the way it is -- hideous plastic butt plate aside -- & haven't noticed any difference in accuracy w/ or w/out the barrel band attached.
So, if such is the case [and I don't doubt you at all], and accuracy or overall performance isn't affected one way or another, with or without the band....Why is it there?:confused:

·
Registered
350 Posts
So, if such is the case, and accuracy or overall performance isn't affected one way or another, with or without the band ... Why is it there? :confused:
Possibly aesthetics? It would be interesting to find a history of the rifle & see if it contained any explanation.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.