Ruger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the purpose of the barrel band on the 10/22 [or any rifle so equipped]? Is it actually necessary? Does it have any effect on accuracy if it's too tight or too loose? Just wondering.

· Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Nifty product. I believe I'd buy one for a TD Model. I happen to like my 10/22 Carbine the way it is -- hideous plastic butt plate aside -- & haven't noticed any difference in accuracy w/ or w/out the barrel band attached.
So, if such is the case [and I don't doubt you at all], and accuracy or overall performance isn't affected one way or another, with or without the band....Why is it there?:confused:

· Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The way the receiver sits in the stock a looser fit can be made cheaper so the front band is there to keep it more rigid. The Sporter rifles without the front band generaly have a better fitting stock. Taking the front band off might make it more accurate if the stock on a particular rifle is right. But then you need to concider the relative humidity and how it might swell the woodstock and make it too tight. That is why some polymer stocks are better. They don't swell and put differant pressure on the barrel.

I'm surprised no one has talked about free-floating a barrel here.
Sounds perfectly plausible to me. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.