Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My phone that is. I had to run to the store and I made sure to take my gun but forgot the phone. I have carried it with me everywhere I go since getting the permit recently.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Been there, man I hate that feeling...

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Critical error!

When I carry - which is most of the time - I make sure to have three things with me: CCW permit, gun and cell phone.

If you ever have to use your gun you need to be the first person to call 9-1-1. It's the first caller who sets the scene and identifies the players as either "good guy" or "bad guy". If you leave it up to a bystander ("Call 9-1-1!"), you are putting yourself at their mercy. If they tell the 9-1-1 operator "Hey, some guy just shot another guy and asked me to call the police!", you are starting off in a bad position. On the other hand, if you call 9-1-1 and say "I was attacked and shot my attacker!" (always in that order - "I was attacked" followed by "I shot my attacker"), you are clearly in the "good guy" role from the start.

Even if you just pull out your gun and don't fire it, call 9-1-1 immediately! A fellow in the area had an encounter where he pulled out his gun when someone threatened to rob him; the would-be robber was ticked off and called the police to report that the gun owner had "pointed a gun" at him. The police came and arrested the gun owner for "brandishing" and it took months for him to get it straightened out.

Bottom line - be the first person to call 9-1-1. And never forget your phone!

Jim

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
laidlerj said:
On the other hand, if you call 9-1-1 and say "I was attacked and shot
my attacker!" (always in that order - "I was attacked" followed by "I shot
my attacker"), you are clearly in the "good guy" role from the start.
Good point Jim, but I think I would say "I shot at my attacker". By doing
that, you admit to shooting to defend yourself, but nothing else.

Since that recording WILL be used in evidence, you don't want to commit
to anything your lawyer will get upset with. ;)

EXCELLENT point about the first caller being the "good guy", at least until
the dust begins to settle. IMO, that makes a bad situation, not quite as bad.
:D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Couple of years ago i went riding my dirt bike all by myself, crashed, broke an arm and a leg, forgetting my phone made everything worse.

7 hours later i had made it to the road somehow, worst day of my life to be honest.

Dont forget the phone!

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Get one of those gun phone cases it may help you remember it. probably not a good idea. But +1 on remembering the gun ahead of the phone. Safer for driving also.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I've walked out to the car a few times and forgotten the phone. I make myself go back for it on the assumption that this 1 time will for sure be the time I need it.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Whatever did we do before cell phones? I guess all CCWers went to jail after stopping attacks because they couldn't call 911 as the smoke wafted from the muzzle. :cool:

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
OR, get a new cell phone.

:D
NO, I don't recommend a glock (shudder).

·
Registered
118 Posts
OP, I know the feeling. I've forgotten my phone a time or two.

At the moment we are travelling in the Pacific Northwest. I feel incredibly naked not being able to carry. We are on Orcas Island for the next week and it's a double whammy. Very sporadic cell coverage and Washington (and Oregon) doesn't recognize the Texas CC license. We were in Oregon last week and it felt very uncomfortable.

I will say this about Oregon, gun shops are everywhere!

Scott

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Last time I forgot the cell, the wife had her cell, so I went ahead without it.
Last time I forgot the gun, ( which only happened once) I turned around and came back and got it.
kinda felt like going to town with no pants on. Ain't forgot since either. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a stick on pouch on my phone which eliminates the daily need for carrying my wallet. It holds my DL, CHL, and two debit cards. And, of course, my EDC is never left behind.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good advice.

Critical error!

When I carry - which is most of the time - I make sure to have three things with me: CCW permit, gun and cell phone.

If you ever have to use your gun you need to be the first person to call 9-1-1. It's the first caller who sets the scene and identifies the players as either "good guy" or "bad guy". If you leave it up to a bystander ("Call 9-1-1!"), you are putting yourself at their mercy. If they tell the 9-1-1 operator "Hey, some guy just shot another guy and asked me to call the police!", you are starting off in a bad position. On the other hand, if you call 9-1-1 and say "I was attacked and shot my attacker!" (always in that order - "I was attacked" followed by "I shot my attacker"), you are clearly in the "good guy" role from the start.

Even if you just pull out your gun and don't fire it, call 9-1-1 immediately! A fellow in the area had an encounter where he pulled out his gun when someone threatened to rob him; the would-be robber was ticked off and called the police to report that the gun owner had "pointed a gun" at him. The police came and arrested the gun owner for "brandishing" and it took months for him to get it straightened out.

Jim
In a word: Amen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Critical error!

Jim
I feel the same way and it's the first thing my husband said when I got home.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.