Ruger Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
6,944 Posts
I have an old courting chair thats believed to be english. It has a seat on 2 sides facing each other seperated by a wood bar. Will post pictures soon, very nicely made.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have an old courting chair thats believed to be english. It has a seat on 2 sides facing each other seperated by a wood bar. Will post pictures soon, very nicely made.

Jason, is that the chair you use when the wife says “We need to talk”? It sounds like it would offer you a little protection...........:p

·
"The Real Deal"
6,944 Posts

Jason, is that the chair you use when the wife says “We need to talk”? It sounds like it would offer you a little protection...........:p
No but i will keep that in mind.. My sister bought it. She is a world traveler mostly for work and house is full of stuff from far away. She had it for a long time, then it made its way to my mom and pops house, thats a normal ritual when sis is changing things up. I would say its 1800's tine period, made by hand, and very detaiiled. I have no room at our place since im out numbered by females. I just retreat to the shop with my dogs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I love the craftsmanship in older furniture. Book matched veneers, especially 4 ways, are a true thing of beauty. I get a kick of hearing someone say, "That can't be very old, it's made of plywood". Plywood and veneering was developed by the ancient Egyptians.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like old tables and fine wood also. At this point, if I brought another table home, my wife might have to start displaying tables on top of tables !!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,311 Posts
I like "old" too. The desk I'm sitting at came from a little library in a very small Nebraska town where my wife grew up. Many years ago the library was closed and all the furniture and book shelves were taken to the dump. My father-in-law salvaged a desk that was hand made from walnut. The library was about 100 years old when it was closed and that has been over 50 years ago so what we inherited was a really old desk that is in pretty good shape. I wanted to refinish it but my wife threw a fit so it's still the same as it was a century ago.

·
Pony Soldier
8,519 Posts
Nice looking tables.
Wife and I found a Lane cedar chest for $15 at a local thrift store yesterday. Made 03/19/43. 77 yrs old.
Needs to be refinished on the outside and some veneer work but the inside is mint. View attachment 145611 View attachment 145612 View attachment 145613
How did you date your Lane Chest? I have a very similar waterfall front Lane we picked up at a church rummage sale.
Love the old stuff, don't care if brown furniture is out of fashion!

Greg

·
Registered
184 Posts
How did you date your Lane Chest? I have a very similar waterfall front Lane we picked up at a church rummage sale.
Love the old stuff, don't care if brown furniture is out of fashion!

Greg
There should be a 6 digit serial number on the bottom. It is the date backwards. Example: Mine is Ser.# 349130 = 03/19/43
A 7 digit number is read the same way with the last number being plant number. Example 2349130 = 03/19/43 Plant 2

thumbnail (6).jpeg

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,311 Posts
OK .... stupid question. If Lane made more than one chest per day, does that mean all chests made that day will have the same serial number?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Many years ago I worked at a large furniture retailer. We sold Lane Cedar Chests. I didn't know until now that it was a reversed date. Never saw two with the same serial. Maybe they never shipped two made on the same day to the same retailer.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My wife and I both love old things, furniture , dishes, guns, motorcycles, you name it. However....the younger generations do not care about that stuff at all. Ask estate sale people, antique dealers, second hand store owners. It is hard to give some of that stuff away. So enjoy it now for yourselves, it is pretty much the end of the road for lots of that stuff. Sterling flatware is melted down, furniture languishes in barns, kids inherit old cars and motorcycles from their folks and can't get them listed on eBay and Craigslist fast enough.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My wife and I both love old things, furniture , dishes, guns, motorcycles, you name it. However....the younger generations do not care about that stuff at all. Ask estate sale people, antique dealers, second hand store owners. It is hard to give some of that stuff away. So enjoy it now for yourselves, it is pretty much the end of the road for lots of that stuff. Sterling flatware is melted down, furniture languishes in barns, kids inherit old cars and motorcycles from their folks and can't get them listed on eBay and Craigslist fast enough.
My two foster “nephews “ boys can’t wait for me to kick the bucket. I have a 72 c10 that I drive and a 67 ElCamino that I’m about to get started on.

They love riding around in old blue with a 350 and four speed standard with 320+hp where when you drive it at night the cab is dark and all you hear is the dual exhaust and the air in your ears.
The elky will be over 400hp both carbureted.

Unlike today there are so many things lit up inside its like daylight in comparison inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 34 of 34 Posts