Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
When ever I think I have enough P-Series guns, I only have to look at your inventory. Then I know I'm only getting started. Mine are all common models. Nice guns you have there! What does the REM stand for?

(KP345PR, KP97D, KP90D, KP944D, KP94, KP95DPR, KP93D, P93D)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the kind words everone.

I don't know what REM stands for. The person who would know for sure told me that the name was provided by the company (not Ruger)that designed the process.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
My research indicates it is a type of polishing process... usally used on racing gears to extend life of teeth, reducing friction and heat...
quote:
REM(tm) ISOTROPIC FINISHING (also called Vibratory Tumble Burnishing)

The objective is to significantly increase reliability of power transfer systems by increasing gear contact fatigue life, increasing gear tooth bending fatigue life, decreasing the coefficient of friction, and extending the performance and service life of the gear sets. Super finishing by the Government has demonstrated a 3X mean life improvement due to an increase in resistance to contact fatigue

The process involves two steps.

The first, referred to as the refinement process involves a chemical interaction on the surface of the part. A soft, thin (one micron) film is formed on the surface of the part. The part interacts with a ceramic media in a special vibratory tub, this film is physically removed from the "peaks" of the processed part and the "valleys" are unaffected. The chemically induced film re-forms only at the peaks that are interacting with the vibratory media, and the process repeats itself. Over time, the peaks are removed, leaving only the valleys, producing the improved micro finish.

THE BENEFITS ARE:

Reduced Friction, Vibration and Noise
Improved shifting
Longer life
More power to the wheels
Reduction in Lubricant Temperature

The second step is referred to as the burnish process. After the required micro finish is achieved, a mild alkaline mixture is introduced. After a relatively short period a polished, chrome-like finish is produced. In addition to the polishing effects, this step effectively removes all traces of the film formation from the refinement process.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Really like your grips Bill.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Dang it! Youse guys are makin my check book want to fly out the front door! LOL.Mighty perty
firearms.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Great pics of some fine Ruger P series specimens. REM process is very interesting too, there are great nuggets of information on this forum if one digs into some of the earlier posts.
What distinguishes a P89M or P89X from the standard P89's?
Dug a little deeper and found the answers. kewl
peace

·
Registered
576 Posts
Nice P series pisols guys. They look great. And the best thing is that they all work...very well.

peace...I once had a KP89X that was a 9mm with an additonal barrel for 30 Luger. I thought the X was for an eXtra barrel, but I may be all wet. I usually am. See ya.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I think the "X" stands for "convertible"... The Blackhawk I used to own was a BN-36X and was a .357/9mm Convertible with the eXtra cylinder...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts