Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and lost a sale.
Ruger is probably my overall favorite brand of firearm, but the 10/22 I was planning to buy in the near future is on indefinite hold now.

Last year I bought a Mini 14 and had to send it back to the factory because of a point of impact problem. Now the sear on my P97 has developed a burr (a problem with the early P97s, I've learned) and it'll probably have to be sent back, as well. A Single Six I bought in 2001 took me three YEARS to get shooting worth a damn (as opposed to one that I bought in 1989, which has always been perfect, and is my all time favorite handgun).

This is irritating. Ruger is a good enough company that they should be able to get it right the first damn time.

I still want another 10/22 at some point, but now I'm wondering, if I bought one, would I have to send IT back, too?

I think I'll take the two bills I had earmarked for a 10/22 and get a Marlin bolt action .22 AND a NEF Youth .410 (a gun that I've wanted, not needed, for a long time).

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Well I can see where that would leave a sour taste in your mouth. I wonder if calling Ruger rep and letting them know how you feel about the over all situation might help.
I understand you being upset and not happy at all, but the company can't fix it if they don't know the problem exist's. I am not try to smooth it over or anything like that. I am really more onnyour side, if I pick it and it don'tr shoot start or do what I want it too. I don't care who made it its crap to me and so in their company. But I do try and give them a chance to make it right. Then if they don't its all about trash them and their company.
I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
No point in giving up all together on rugers. The used gun market is available and lots of folks consider older made guns by any maker(ruger, remington, browning) are of better quality than current manufacture.
+1 Snuffy, I consider Ruger to be top hand in customer service. Yes, quality control may slip on occasion ( a common complaint it seems about all gun makers). Give Ruger a call, voice your concerns and be sure to voice your previous problem with the mini---they just might send a pre-paid pick-up label for shipment back----maybe. Never know till you try.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not giving up on Rugers, just punishing them a bit for ticking me off. [}:)]

And I have already called the factory; they're supposed to call me back.

It just ticks me off to have to go to the hassle of sending a firearm back, especially since the nearest UPS place that'll do it is 50 miles away.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I have owned so many Rugers over my life that I can not count them all (I would honestly estimate 150 or more), and I have had problems with maybe one or two. Nothing major even the two I have had problems with. You mention the Mini 14 having a POI problem. Heck, they all do! The Mini 14 is not known for it's amazing accuracy, I can tell you that. Minute of pie plate accuracy is about the best a out of box Mini will do.

·
Registered
120 Posts
it is amazing how luck of the draw goes- i have had many ove the years and never had to send one back- except a single six to get a mag cylinder matched to the gun-

·
Registered
145 Posts
I know what you mean, Ruger has really p!$$#@ in my cornflakes too over the "S" in the emblem. I ordered a holster for my Blackhawk off their website and threw in a coffee cup, which incidentally had the "S" on the logo in the catalog. and they sent me one with just the "R" on it. I threw it away.......[xx(]:(

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
quote:Originally posted by gunman42782

I have owned so many Rugers over my life that I can not count them all (I would honestly estimate 150 or more), and I have had problems with maybe one or two. Nothing major even the two I have had problems with. You mention the Mini 14 having a POI problem. Heck, they all do! The Mini 14 is not known for it's amazing accuracy, I can tell you that. Minute of pie plate accuracy is about the best a out of box Mini will do.
It wasn't an accuracy problem (the gun is plenty accurate), it was a point of impact problem. Even with the aperture pushed over all the way, it still shot way left.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now I find that, all things considered, it's going to cost me upwards of two bills to have my P97 fixed. :(:(:(:(:(

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I just don't believe it...how could it cost that much? That'd make anyone mad...for a defect in the gun-and a known one at that? Did you talk to the right person? Sumpin's not right with this picture, could you share the details with us, please????

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The two hundred dollars breaks down this way:

$100 for parts (which is what the guy on the phone quoted me)
$30 shipping
$30 return shipping
$20 Ruger service fee
$20 gas (to the nearest UPS place that'll ship weapons).

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I intend to write Michael Fifer, CEO of Sturm, Ruger and Company, a polite but very heartfelt letter.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
If you din't tinker wit da innards, I'd raise hell before I'd pay for the parts...let us know what happens...

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I am with sheepdog, that is not right.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is the text of my letter to Ruger CEO Michael O. Fifer:

Dear Mr. Fifer,

I have been a great fan of your company's products for years now. Indeed, Ruger has been my overall favorite firearms' manufacturer since I was 21 years old. I purchased my first Ruger in 1989, a 6 1/2" Single Six that has been one of my favorite handguns since the day I bought it. It has been accurate, reliable, and has given me a great deal of pleasure with never a moment of trouble of any kind. During the next few years I also purchased a Blackhawk .357, a Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum, and a 10/22 carbine, all of which were superb weapons.

Recently, however, it has dawned on me that, over the last decade or so, my experience with your company’s products has not been nearly so good. Indeed, it has at best been literally “hit or miss”.

In 1997, I purchased, used but in like-new condition (at least appearance-wise), a Ruger KP90 .45 auto pistol. Unfortunately, when I got it home and test fired it, it proved unsatisfactory, as the magazine would fall out about every third or fourth round, without the magazine release having been touched. I returned it to the shop where I had purchased it (Mustang Gun and Pawn) the very next day, and they were good enough to give me a full refund.

The next year, I purchased a Ruger P95DC 9mm auto pistol from another shop, and it, too, proved unsatisfactory. I experienced consistent misfires with three different brands of ammunition. Within a week I returned it to the shop, and they agreed to swap it for another P95DC. This one was perfect, and it has been 100% reliable since the day I brought it home.

Then, in 2001, having had such great luck with my original Single Six, I decided to spend my $300 tax “rebate” check on another one, identical to the first. My experience with this revolver, though, was less than positive. Though it was mechanically perfect, it would not hold “zero” -- I could never keep it sighted in. I called the factory and was urged to send it back for repair, but, loath to go to the hassle (the nearest UPS facility that handles firearms shipments is 50 miles away, in Shawnee) and shipping expense (they did not offer to send me a prepaid shipping label), I decided to just live with the gun “as is”, and perhaps try to fix it on my own. I eventually did this by having an aftermarket rear sight installed, and today the gun is perfect, but unfortunately it did not come “out of the box” that way.

Buoyed by two positive experiences with Rugers in 2004 and 2005 (the purchases of a used Mk II .22 pistol and a 3 1/16” SP101 .357, both of which were excellent), I decided in 2006 to treat myself to a stainless Mini 14 Ranch Rifle. This time, though, I was let down again. With the aperture adjusted all the way to the right, the rifle still shot 4 inches left with all loads at 25 yards. I called the factory and was provided with a prepaid shipping label. I returned the gun for repair, but when I got it back I was chagrined to find that the problem had not been corrected -- the gun still shot 4 inches or so to the left with the sights adjusted all the way to the right. Rather than go to the hassle of sending it back again -- with no guarantee that they’d actually fix it this time, either -- I have reluctantly decided to eschew the use of the factory iron sights and simply scope the gun.

Finally, also in 2006 (while the Ranch Rifle was back at the factory ostensibly being repaired), I located a used, excellent condition (again, appearance wise) KP97DC .45. I purchased it, and had been well satisfied with it until just recently. After having fired around 400 rounds through it in just under a year, I noticed a problem with it during my last shooting session. When squeezing the trigger in single action mode, a faint but audible click can be heard and the hammer will fall forward slightly, approximately 1/32 of an inch. A bit more pressure on the trigger will cause the gun to fire.

I called the Prescott factory and was informed that the problem was most likely with the sear, and that, counting shipping, return shipping, service charges and parts, the repair will probably end up costing me about $180. I feel that this is excessive. Since the gun was purchased used, I have no problem with paying for shipping, and perhaps even a service fee (though I really cannot understand why Ruger should not have at least as good a guarantee policy as a company like Hi Point, whose firearms are not nearly so high a quality as Ruger), but, given that the gun is only seven years old and has not been abused, I feel that the necessary parts should be provided at no additional cost. As it stands, I will likely just keep the gun and continue to use it until it ceases to function.

As I say, Ruger has been my favorite firearms brand for almost two decades now, and I had planned to purchase more of your products within the next year or so, including a GP100, Mk. III Hunter .22 pistol and a stainless 10/22 rifle. However, the realization that five out of the last eight Rugers that I have purchased (five out of seven, if you do not count the replacement P95) have been in one way or another substandard gives me pause (and indeed, just this past weekend I purchased a Savage .22 rifle instead of the 10/22 I really wanted because I just didn’t trust the Ruger to be “up to snuff“). Can I buy a new Ruger firearm today with full confidence that it will work properly out of the box, or even that, should it have a problem, that the factory will actually make it right if I take the trouble to send it back?

I believe that Ruger is too fine a company, with too proud a tradition, to have such issues with quality control, and I urge you, Mr. Fifer, to do whatever is necessary to resolve and correct them, and to do everything possible to again make Ruger the number one name in fine American firearms. I want to be able to buy a new Ruger with confidence, and I am confident that you can help me do so.

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I would have mentioned that it was a known and common problem with the P97 early models-otherwise, this is a shining opportunity for Ruger to do the right thing...let's see....

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The point of my letter was not so much to spur them to fix my P97, it was to try and get them to upgrade their QC overall.

I hope Mr. Fifer actually READS it.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Thanks for your efforts on all our behalf-sad to see what the current generation of gunmakers is doing to the hard-earned reputations of past decades---ie. S&W, Colt, Rem, Ruger, and Marlin-all having many QC issues the past few years...our fathers and grandfathers would never have stood for the quality we have to settle for today....

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
sheepdog,
your right a new gun out of the box it had better work right the first time. If they had to send it back m well wouldn't have been a good thing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts