Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 2 gp100s 1 4 inch and 1 6 inch.
i bought them both used, with almost no wear and very little usage under a very close inspection when i purchased them. i followed the tips from iowegans ibok that he kindly sent me and the triggers smoothed up nicely. the one difference with my 4 inch was that it had a slight drag when shooting in double action.. i noticed this from day one, and yet my 6 inch gp100 had a trigger pull as smooth as butter. so i took them both apart and tried switching the hammers. loe and behold, the 4 inch was as smooth as butter. i looked with a magnifying glass, and the hammers looked exactly alike. i then decided to take off the hammer dogs for a comparison. and i found that the one that was originally in my 4 inch gp100 was apprx. 1/16 of an inch shorter. so i went to the hardware store this a.m. and bought a little piece of steel 1/8 thick. i then cut out a piece, got to work on my bench grinder and fabricated a duplicate hammer dog from my 6 inch gp100.. drilled a small hole, put it in my hammer, and wow!!! now both my gp100s have light "smooth as butter trigger pulls!! i actually amazed myself LOL.. i am by no means a gunsmith, but i cant believe i actually fixed my gun.. and then i took a flashlight looked down the bore and checked each cylinder alighment, and seems perfect.. the weird thing was, with my original hammer dog in my 4 inch gp100, as i would pull the trigger in double action, the trigger would drag sort of heavily, then the cylinder would actually stop so hard it made a clunk sound. now, its drag free smooth and stops nice and tight with no clunk.. cant wait to go and try shooting it tomorrow. after 2 or 3 trips to the pistol range and no problems i will probably feel very comfortable with it..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good job!
There is nothing more satisfying to me than fixing or improving my own guns.
Sometimes it can get expensive with tools and parts but the experience - priceless!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Mr.Tcinpa07 good to hear you are having good fortune in fixing your GP's. You are way braver than me. I got a couple of old Security-Six's that I am playing with myself. I got to put a new sight on one and they both need to be refinished. Good luck with your Gp's they are one of the best out there.

Best: Baldy.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
hey glad it worked out for you

·
Registered
155 Posts
tcinpa07, I don't want to "burst" your bubble, but the GP100 "hammer dog" is a "factory fit only" part and the "liability" factor could weigh in somewhere down the road for you or another owner. Even though the part "fits" for you that is not the only issue here. My suggestion would have been to send the gun back to Ruger for the repair! There is "good" reason for factory fit only parts....................Dick

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bowhunter, i appreciate your concern, but it does fit, it will be used for target shooting and hiome defense only.. in my opinion, as much as i like ruger revolvers, when ruger says its a factory fit part, they are naturally being safe to cover themselves, and to get a little more aftermarket business perhaps? this is a reasonable and normal policy for gunmakers.. but its not lilke i made a barrel out of a piece of steel pipe or anything.. if it coninues to work and not wear out after another 400 or 500 rounds, ill be comfortable with it..

·
Registered
589 Posts
Thats interesting because I have a SP101 that I also had to make a new trigger dog for because of a similar problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi reb, thats cool, how has it been working? its basicallly a small piece of steel simiar to a wood ruff key huh?

·
Registered
589 Posts
quote:Originally posted by tcinpa07

hi reb, thats cool, how has it been working? its basicallly a small piece of steel simiar to a wood ruff key huh?
I haven't had a single problems since. It was driving me crazy at first because I couldn't figure out what the problem was. It seemed fine when the gun was clean but after shooting several cylinders it would start to bind up. All double action rugers I have had have some slop in the action and when the gun would get dirty it would cause the parts to shift slightly and cause the problem. After I figured it out I could reproduce the problem by holding back on the hammer while pulling the trigger. It is a rather simple little part but It can cause a lot of grief.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bowhunter, just a little F.Y.I. im the guy that made my own hammer dog.. i just went on a major gun parts website and ordered a hammer dog for a ruger redhawk for my ruger gp100.. interestingly, i went to rugers main website in their parts section, and the hammer dog part number for the redhawk is the exact same part number for the gp100 hammer dog. as soon as it comes in, ill put it under a magnifying glass to see if its the exact same size, (based on the photo, it looks exactly the same) if it is, ill try it and check the timing. then, ill keep the one i made as a spare, (not that ill nedd it) but just in case. im not trying to pull a fast one on ruger, but i just dont see the reasoning of spending apprx. 50.00 and waiting perhaps a month to 3 months for a little 5.00 piece of steel that looks like a woodruff key.. if it were of course a barrel or the trigger or mechanisim of course i would send it in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts