Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll warn you right up front: my original or opening post to this thread will be long. In my defense, it explains why I’m in a quandary over where I get my next holster.

My best friend David is a guy I met in junior high school back in 1968. We’ve been friends ever since. BTW, he is also a Ruger fan. Anyway, when I met him, his hobby was carving leather. So he’s done that for better than five decades, and over the years I’ve had him make me belts, wallets, checkbook covers, guitar straps, even rebind several of my Bibles. But getting back to the point of this thread, David has also made holsters for me.

In the latter part of October, I bought a Bond Arms derringer, the Grizzly Bear model, which comes with a holster. The stock holster is good quality, but my problem with it is that I’m left-handed. I bought it locally and didn’t have the option of a left-handed holster. I talked to Bond Arms about it, and they were willing to swap it out, but they didn’t have a lefty. They said their go-to guy for holsters just retired. Their recommendation of an online seller (Bucksnort Outfitters) didn't have a lefty in stock.

So my thoughts turned to my friend David for a solution. But here’s the problem: David’s got a lot going on in his life right now. His father passed away in May, his mother-in-law passed just a few weeks ago. Another family member is gravely ill.

And as if all that wasn’t enough, David just got a diagnosis of Parkinson’s. His symptoms have included freezing up when walking/taking a step, cramped handwriting and soft speech. The last I asked him about it, he wasn’t experiencing hand tremors.

Anyway, if this problem with a holster for my Bond Arms Grizzly had happened even nine months ago, I wouldn’t have hesitated to ask David to make me a lefty holster for my Grizzly. But not knowing his current state and given the other more important issues in his life, I hesitate to bring it up.

So, if I have to go with someone besides my old standby for a holster, what recommendations do y’all have? I’m thinking IWB here.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you're close to David, give him a chance at making the holster for you. Tell him you're aware of what's going on with him, and that you'll understand if he can't help you right now and ask him if he'd like to make your holster or go elsewhere this time. That way he's had the opportunity without feeling obligated. Show him this if you're concerned about asking.

I don't have any background in derringer designs and don't know if there are special design needs for their holsters. I would ask their manufacturer for a lead first to someone that does have that background. I'm left handed too, and used to waiting for them to fabricate one, so waiting for one that the people they recommend to you to make is probably the best advice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, y'all. I believe I will ask David if he's up to it. We've always been honest and straightforward with each other. I just need to be patient. I'm really enjoying my Bond Arms Grizzly for the past month, and want to get this holster thing settled, but with all David's gone through and is going through, I need to think of his perspective.

BTW, this is my Bond Arms Grizzly...
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Material property

...and the holster it came with...
Brown Wood Bag Font Pattern

It's got the extended grips, which I really like, and a 3" barrel, chambered in .410 bore and .45 Colt. I bought primarily thinking of it as my snake gun. But I'm liking it more and more as my EDC. Toward that end, I also just bought a second barrel for it, chambered in 9mm.

I've tried making the right-handed holster work on my left hip and in my front left pocket, with varying degrees of comfort/effectiveness. I just need to get a holster specifically designed for carrying on my left side.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Largo, Great looking gun. I hope David is doing well. It is a terrible sickness, our hope and prayers are with him.
I have been happy with Versa Carry holsters and Belt. If you need something in the future they may work for you.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm with those who say, ask him first. Wife has had Parkinsons for over 11 years. There's lots of varieties of it (she has the 'good' kind that's gradual) and treatments like medications, exercises for strengthening muscles and balance to help ward off falls that are really bad, plus Deep Brain Stimulation. She gets along ok, but slower and more careful.

Pass this info on to him. There's hope, you just have to start the process of evaluation and treatment selections.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Largo, Great looking gun. I hope David is doing well. It is a terrible sickness, our hope and prayers are with him.
I have been happy with Versa Carry holsters and Belt. If you need something in the future they may work for you.
Thanks. On your recommendation, I went to Versa Carry's website, just for future reference, but in the "Sizing Guide" tool they provide, "Bond Arms" wasn't listed, so I'm not sure how I'd proceed with them.

Thanks to all for your replies and insights and well wishes for my friend. I will touch base with David soon, and ask him first before going with a holster made by anyone else.

BTW, the way he broke the news to my wife and me was kinda funny, and typical David. He and his wife invited us out to their place (about 40 miles west of us, outside a small Texas town). While we were there, we did some shooting together. Then we came back inside, and David disappeared into their bedroom. I figured either he was going to the bathroom or else going to bring out a new holster to show me or maybe a new gun. Instead, he sat down in the living room and held this book up for my wife and I to see...

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Gesture Font Musical instrument Finger Poster

·
Registered
106 Posts
My wife had the DBS procedure done about three years ago. She has essential tremors, sorta like PD but NOT as bad or debilitating...recommend this for those who have these problems.....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_brain_stimulation
Wife has a battery implant and in our house when the head starts to nod or bog I ask if "she turned herself on"...works great for her...gets a laugh from those who don't know what we are talking about

Reactions: largo
1 - 13 of 13 Posts