Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really didn't mean to influence anyone not to buy or consider buying Ruger products. They are generally great guns. That being said here is why I sometimes underrate things.

My collection includes 450 to 500 guns at any time. Everything from before the Civil War to present day. I am a longtime machinist retired from the Navy and Gunsmith for almost 20 years. I also own several gun shops. I am very picky and expect a lot more than the average gun enthusiast from the firearms I keep. I sometimes catch myself comparing a $400 dollar gun to a $2,000 dollar gun. Granted sometimes the $400.00 gun is just as good but most of the time you get what you pay for.

My advice is go to the shops. Handle the guns, read all the reviews you can and go back and handle and compare. Find the gun that fits you best. That's the one I would buy. Everybody sees, feels and shoots guns differently.

A shop that won't let you handle the guns is missing the boat. Go elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
My advice is go to the shops. Handle the guns, read all the reviews you can and go back and handle and compare. Find the gun that fits you best. That's the one I would buy. Everybody sees, feels and shoots guns differently.
With you all the way on this. By the way, in case I missed saying so, welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I didn't find anything offensive in what you posted. We all have opinions, some times they coincide, some times they differ.

I, for one, hope you keep contributing your views whether I agree with them or not.

Welcome aboard from one sailor to another!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Thanks for your words of wisdom, good advise for future gun buyers.

Welcome to the Forum from Georgia!

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Welcome from North Dakota. And what happened to your original post ? Either my eyes are gone, or it's been deleted ??

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I love the feel of my Ruger M77, but one problem couldn't be seen by handling mine. It likes to rust, and has a habit of taking the finish off even with minor surface rust. Hard to see the spots where its missing without a flashlight. That's my one knock on them, that and the alloy receiver has a weird tint to it. Great guns, but a little lackluster in rust prevention for such an expensive gun. My dads two Husqvarna (yes, the chainsaw company Husqvarna) .30-06's never rust, EVER. That swedish steel is something to be envied I must admit.....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Super Moderator
16,249 Posts
I really didn't mean to influence anyone not to buy or consider buying Ruger products. They are generally great guns. ....
Sam ... fortunately you don't have that power, as on balance the vast majority of members here have been very pleased with their Rugers as you saw in the responses to your thread. With that said, virtually all of us who have been shooting for any significant length of time have had at least one bad experience with a firearm manufacturer along the way, and conversely every firearm manufacturer turns out a lemon from time to time. Case in point, although I will never buy another 1911 from a very prominent 1911 manufacturer due to significant reliability issues that I had with two of their 1911s back in 2003-4, I don't go that forum and badmouth their product or suggest to others that they are junk just because they didn't happen to work out for me.

While we have plenty of conversation here about the positives as well as issues regarding Ruger (as well as other manufacturers), we try to keep the conversation informative and helpful (as opposed to characterizing something as junk) so that people can use the information as they make future purchasing decisions. :)

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
No offence taken, to each their own.
Good of you to post up what you have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts