Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

My older "step" son is looking for a full sized .45 auto, but not (necessarily) a 1911.

Here's his "wish list":
- Full size. He has large bear-paw type hands.
- Range / Home Defense use only. We live in NJ, so there will be none of that CCW "nonsense" :rolleyes:
- SA/DA if possible, but SAO is OK.
- Heavy. HEAVY. HEAVY. He wants something that shoots as softly as possible. Due to a disability, he basically shoots 1 handed. The more steel, the better. (Did I mention "heavy"?)

I've done some preliminary research, and found the CZ 97B and the Sig 220 so far.

Just so you know, his other gun is a Beretta PX4 Storm in 9mm, he has access to an Armalite AR 24, and an SR1911 for points of reference. We also rented a Beretta Cougar and a Kimber 1911 (not sure of the model) last time we were at the range.

·
Registered
191 Posts
for the wieght look at eaa's witness with a steel frame should cover everything. they are a cz copy and are being used in a lot of idpa and steel plate comp's. They are not to shabby on price either.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You can't go wrong with either the SIG 250 full size (30 oz) or the SIG 220 Elite Stainless (40 oz). Quite a bit of price difference, but they're outstanding handguns.

·
Registered
530 Posts
You basically described a 1911 what is it about the 1911 he doesn't like that might help with some suggestions?

My first recommendation would like the Beretta PX4 Storm in .45acp. He could also get the CX4 carbine to go along with it.

I also have larger hands and the Ruger SR series doesn't fit my hand very well. But the they do have the Ruger p345.

I hate to recommend them because I think they are as ugly as sin but the Glock G21 might fit him well, its full size and in .45acp the other reason I hate glock is they don't have a real safety you hit the trigger and it goes off.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Have you looked into FNH? If not, you should:

FNH FNX-45

It's a SA/DA .45 ACP double-stack. Nice & beefy in the hand, & 33.2 oz. empty. Loading up the magazine w/ 15 rounds of .45 ACP will add even more weight. Built like a tank, & has an attached rail. Somewhat difficult to find, but it seems almost perfect for your stepson.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Get the Sig!

·
Registered
250 Posts
A Glock 21 sound's like it will suit his need's. Of course one of the older all metal Ruge 45 ACP pistol's would work too.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Have you looked into FNH? If not, you should:

FNH FNX-45

It's a SA/DA .45 ACP double-stack. Nice & beefy in the hand, & 33.2 oz. empty. Loading up the magazine w/ 15 rounds of .45 ACP will add even more weight. Built like a tank, & has an attached rail. Somewhat difficult to find, but it seems almost perfect for your stepson.
Another vote for the FN.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
M&P 45
EAA Witness

The M&P's recoil amazed me when I rented one. Lowest recoil of anything I've ever shot.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
EAA Witness, Rock Island 1911, CZ97...............

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
- Full size. He has large bear-paw type hands.
- Range / Home Defense use only. We live in NJ, so there will be none of that CCW "nonsense"
- SA/DA if possible, but SAO is OK.
- Heavy. HEAVY. HEAVY. He wants something that shoots as softly as possible. Due to a disability, he basically shoots 1 handed. The more steel, the better. (Did I mention "heavy"?)
If price isn't a consideration:
H&K USP 45 or H&K USP Expert

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Get the Sig 220.

You can always pick up a lesser gun later on. :D

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
full size carry

to meet your criteria, I agree with the recomendations for the Sig 220:)

·
Banned
67 Posts
The Model 21 is a great choice. Light weight, low recoil and EXTREMELY accurate. I carried one as a duty weapon for 10 years before retirement. My only complaints are that I never really trusted the trigger safety in some situations (Just a personal preference) and the fact that they are ugly and made of plastic. But they ARE tough. I let mine slip away back when I needed the money. The current owner still carries it daily as a primary duty weapon.

I don't like the Sigs at all. The have a weird twisting recoil. Personally I can't shoot them accurately. I own 3 Colt 1911s, a firestorm, a Rock Island Arms and a Springfield. Several Colt and Smith and Wesson Revolvers.

Looking forward to trying a new Ruger .45 soon.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts