Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have and old 300wm SS model 77 bolt action with the 3 position safety and a Boyds stock. I have tried numerous times to mount a scope on it, but I cannot get the scope far enough back in the rings. I bought extensions(didn't work), scout scope(too far forward), I have tried numerous powers leuopold 6X and 3-9. I thought about a Weigand rail(but kinda pricey). I need a scope(under$200) does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Apparently your head is still too far from the scope eyepiece to get a full field of view. Is the stock too long for you? A shorter length of pull should help.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you cannot get close enough, then you cannot get close enough (maybe cut the stock).

However, did you try adjusting the eye-piece?
My scopes have adjustable eye-pieces.

Cheers & best of luck.
Jody

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
You probably have done this already but the extended rings you mentioned & you wanted to move your scope reward did you install the front extension backwards in order to move your scope back??? I am guessing that you’re having problems with your eye relief. On 3 rifles now what I have used are 2 sets of Weaver Extension rings and 1 set of Leupold Extension rings. My extended rings have one scope ring in each set that’s extended. Like earlier mentioned I needed to move the scope back. So the front extended ring I reversed so the Extension is facing back. Usually this will work, lot of us when we age our physical makeup and strengths change thus your eye relief also changes. 2 of my rifles have collector value and I still shoot them but I don’t want to install a recoil pad the stock would need cutting. So I have added a leather lace on recoil pad so the length of pull is 1/2 inch longer that’s part of the way I get proper eye relief from what I have described.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Gary’s been down this road before....right buddy??

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Gary’s been down this road before....right buddy??
Yes Mark and the extended rings have worked great by the method I have explained it helped the eye relief on 3 of my rifles. BTW I was able to take the Savage Model 99E .243 with the Weaver Extended scope rings and get t sighted in using Hornady 100 grain BTSP bullets I was able to shoot 1 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yds!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
One inch at 100yds Gary, nice........we’ll make a long range shooter out of you yet buddy !!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts