Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Single stage, two stage, drop in, adjustable pull weight, mil spec, competition, anti-roll pins....arrgh!... Too many options.

I need a better trigger for my SPR type rifle. I'm not about to drop $300+ for a fancy competition trigger, at least not yet. I'm not that good of a shooter to warrant a fine trigger. I just need something a little better than the standard ALG fire control group that came with my PSA lower.

I did a mild trigger job on the ALG milspec FCG and it helped a little bit. There's no more grit and it breaks clean enough but the pull weight is like 8Lbs and there's still a lot of slop.

I've been looking at the ALG ACT trigger ($65) as the low end of improved triggers. Spike's has one that's close to my price range (budget) of no more than $150. Though it sells for $170 I can wait for it to go on sale. It has an interesting looking skeletonized disconnect and the hammer and trigger are cold hammer forged.

What can you say about these FCGs or any others priced under (way under) $150?

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
I have the ALG ACT. It's nicer, but probably not what you want. Geiselle makes some winning triggers. Maybe the new Ruger drop-in? The FCG gets real expensive real fast. I usually just use milspec and ALG.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
842 Posts
Scorpio,

I dropped in the JP Industries yellow springs in my AR556 and also picked up a grip screw with a counter-bored set screw on fleabay (do search for "AR15 Trigger adjustment screw" or similar) and installed that.

I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but it they sure made a difference.

Thanks to 74Rallye for turning me onto the idea and THIS LINK, though I didn't go with Nic Taylor's screw...

Of course, you want to make sure the reduced power hammer spring gives you 100% ignition.

Parts cost me less than $25.00.

It can be a lot cheaper if you go with Johnsxj's suggestion. I saw where there was a guy on fleabay that had a set screw/shorter grip screw set for less than $3 with free shipping.

Aqualung

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a while back I tweaked the legs on the hammer spring and I started getting light primer strikes. Also tried a lighter spring, same result. I only shoot surplus M855 and the primers are quite hard compared to regular small rifle primers.

I'm definitely going to do the grip screw thing. It sounds easy enough. I still want a lighter trigger. between 4 and 6 lbs should do. 8 lbs is just a tiny bit too much, not awful but not helpful.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Rock River Arms is having an inventory reduction sale on their website. Two stage 4.5 lb trigger on sale for $62 plus shipping.

·
Banned
84 Posts
RRA

Rock River Arms is having an inventory reduction sale on their website. Two stage 4.5 lb trigger on sale for $62 plus shipping.
The RRA 2-stage triggers are nice and that is a very good price.

I have used the JP Enterprises trigger spring kits (red hammer/yellow trigger) with good results. Took a factory mil-spec trigger from a 7.5#-8# pull to 5.0#-5.5# with no other mods or lubrication. Did the swap on the counter of a local gun store to convince them to start stocking the springs. Runs about $15.

JP Rifles

Need to mention that I've also used the yellow hammer/yellow trigger spring kit as well. I've not experienced a single light strike with either spring set and I regularly shoot Wolf steel cased.

BK

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a great price for a two stage. I've never used one. Are they that much better than single stage?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Scorpio,

If the price point will allow you to pull the trigger.

Geissele Triggers
Super Semi-Automatic (SSA) Trigger

Awesome addition to any AR. I added to my SR-556 and it made a major difference, love the addition and made a great range trip.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scorpio,

If the price point will allow you to pull the trigger.

Geissele Triggers
Super Semi-Automatic (SSA) Trigger

Awesome addition to any AR. I added to my SR-556 and it made a major difference, love the addition and made a great range trip.
That's a nice trigger but I have to keep the price within my budget. Between $75 and $125 would be ideal. I don't need a spectacular trigger because, to be frank, I'm not that good of a shooter (yet) and it would not make much difference. Maybe after I improve a little I'll go for a premium FCG.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,971 Posts
That's a great price for a two stage. I've never used one. Are they that much better than single stage?
I vote for the rra 2 stage varmint, i have many ar's with them.( you have seen my rifles im sure) The 3.5lb 2 stage varmint, and 4 to 4.5lb national match, some of the best money you can spend for $120.

Rock River Arms: Match Two Stage Trigger

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
There is no better single stage trigger than CMC. Timney is very good, but not quite as good as the CMC.

Runs about $160. Recommend the 4.5# trigger set.

Two stage, Gisselle.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
I vote for the rra 2 stage varmint, i have many ar's with them.( you have seen my rifles im sure) The 3.5lb 2 stage varmint, and 4 to 4.5lb national match, some of the best money you can spend for $120.

Rock River Arms: Match Two Stage Trigger
These, I run the Rock River 2 stage in my ARs, they can't be beat for what your wanting to do, best bang for your buck.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I ended up with 3 of the Ruger Elite 452 two stage triggers. After installing them I'm hooked on the two stage trigger. All mine average 3.5lbs from my gauge, huge improvement over the 7.5-9lb ratings my stock mil spec trigger were ranging. I like that the Ruger is repeatable at 3.5 with an occasional 3.25 lbs thrown in. My Milspec triggers would =/- up to 1 lb,

I have two other AR's I wanted to upgrade the trigger too and checked in to the RRA National Match, yes they are 62.00 on RRA website, but I've heard shipping runs between 8 and 15 bucks, no rhyme or reason and shipping isn't the quickest out the door. The National Match is rated at 4.5-5lbs, my Ruger 452 is rated at 4.5lbs but as mentioned all have been 3.5lbs after installed. I decided to go with the RRA Varmint trigger, I found a website, fortbradley.com I believe, that is selling the National Match and the Varmint at 76.99 each. I ordered two Varmints and the shipping for the pair was 9.63. Just did order them, so haven't received them yet. The Varmints are rated 3.5-4lbs. So I'm hoping they are extremely close to my Ruger 452 triggers. I like the slight take-up on the two stage so I know exactly when it's going to break. Also the 3.5 lb pull seems to allow me to focus more on the target than wondering how much more pressure am I going to have to give for the trigger to release...

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm very tempted to jump on the RRA NM but I think I'm going to stick with a single stage for now. I dunno. I may get the RRA and shelve it for later.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,971 Posts
These, I run the Rock River 2 stage in my ARs, they can't be beat for what your wanting to do, best bang for your buck.
;) so true..

I'm very tempted to jump on the RRA NM but I think I'm going to stick with a single stage for now. I dunno. I may get the RRA and shelve it for later.
You can't go wrong with it, why I own several different triggers, the milspec, the rra 2 stage national match, the national match varmint, gieselle, timmney, ar gold, even a hyper touch 24e, and I own more of the rra's than any other. They are that good, and $120 each a steal. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts