Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on buying a 10/22 and converting it to a bolt action sniper rifle. What is the best type of 10/22 (for example tactical, carbine, etc) to choose for that kind of configuration? Thanks for any answers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Your going to convert a 10/22 to a bolt action!!!????....... A 10/22 is a .22cal semi auto rifle.......How? Buy a bolt action rifle if thats what you want......How are you going to do this?

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Bolt action 10/22...hmmmm, well closest you're going to get is the toggle action by PWS.

Otherwise, well, it's semi auto for the 10/22. Now since you're buying for a build, it's simple...start with a basic carbine, a used one. Other than the stock and bbl, the various models are all basically the same. I'd suggest looking into it a bit more though if you're going into this thinking "10/22" and "bolt action" for the same project.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
If you want a bolt action, start with a bolt action.
Next, you're wanting a "sniper" rifle. What distances are you planning to be shooting at?
IMHO 150 yards starts to really push the envelope for accurate shooting with a 22lr.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought the bolt action was widely available, but I guess not. Anyway, I would use the 10/22 for wilderness survival. What would be the ideal 10/22 for that?

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Ruger's bolt action .22LR rifle is the 77/22. It, and the 10/22, are available in all -weather models. Plastic stock and stainless steel.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I agree. I love my bolt actions and sometimes thought of trying to convert a 10/22 to a bolt so I could use it for small game in PA. Like the others said just find a decent bolt that you can work on. I love and favor my CZ 452.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The cost just to convert a 10/22 to bolt action would be the same as if you went out and bought a bolt action to begin with. The 77/22 is a darn good bolt action rifle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I thought the bolt action was widely available, but I guess not. Anyway, I would use the 10/22 for wilderness survival. What would be the ideal 10/22 for that?
If you're talking about shooting small game in the wilderness during extended periods of time outdoors I would go with either the synthetic.stainless model or the new Takedown. Check them out on rugers site.

Ruger® 10/22 Takedown® Autoloading Rifle Models

Ruger® 10/22® Carbine Autoloading Rifle Model 1256

·
Registered
331 Posts
When I read this one I looked like the cat in bearcatter's picture. Why in the world would you want to convert a 10/22 to a bolt action when you could get a CZ 452 or 455 and have exactly what you want with better accuracy. Go figure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts