Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm looking to get a stacked double for trap and skeet. Mostly skeet but I would like it to work well on the trap side also. In addition I plan on using it for upland birds and grouse. I realize I am asking a lot out of one gun but I feel like a good shot gun will do lots of different things well. The two I've really been interested in are the CZ Redhead premier and the Weatherby Orion 1. I'm hoping some one out there can give some insight on both. I own a Stoeger M3500 and love it but I am not confident their doubles will hold up to the round count I plan on shooting. Any insight or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I was able to talk my lovely wife in to a little bigger budget for a trap/skeet gun. I am looking at a Browning Citori or a Winchester 101 but I'm open for anything in the $2500 range. Suggestions and personal experience is what I'm hoping for here.

·
One Star
9,687 Posts
Wishing you luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've shot the same Browning Special Sporting Clays since 1990 so I can't really comment on the new models,but the 725 and the CX/Crossover are getting good reviews.

I've shot all the clays games with this gun with the only issue being breaking the lite pipes on the hi-viz bead.

At < $2500, you should be able to easily swing a Browning, Beretta, or Winchester. From there fit is your biggest criteria.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was shooting a 28” Ruger Red Label in 12 gauge but have since purchased a Browning Citori 725 with 32” barrels and 3/4” raised rib that is now my favorite. IMG_0291.jpg IMG_0328.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
387 Posts
How serious of a competitor are you? I ask because trap and skeet guns need different handling characteristics.
And it's been years since I shot any clay birds so trends have probably changed.

But trap guns (used to) have 30"-32" barrels, high combs, longer LOP.
Skeet guns were often deluxe field models with 26" barrels. Normal comb, normal LOP.

If I had $2500, I'd get a nice $1500+ skeet O/U and a Rem 1100 Trap gun (or its' modern equivalent).
JMO

Wow, a 3 year old thread! But it got me thinking about getting a 20ga skeet O/U.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've shot the same Browning Special Sporting Clays since 1990 so I can't really comment on the new models,but the 725 and the CX/Crossover are getting good reviews.

I've shot all the clays games with this gun with the only issue being breaking the lite pipes on the hi-viz bead.

At < $2500, you should be able to easily swing a Browning, Beretta, or Winchester. From there fit is your biggest criteria.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
I have a CX and its a very good and multipurpose shotgun

·
Registered
492 Posts
I own Berretta, Ruger and Browning over and under guns. I like the Berrettas best as all around guns. Hard to go wrong with a silver pigeon in 12 gauge as an all around. The one thing I like about the Berrettas is I am average build and the Berretas just fit. Keep an eye out for used Rugers, I picked up a 20 gauge for $800 with fixed chokes and I am happy with it. IC and Mod works fine for what I do.

·
One Star
9,687 Posts
I don't have a clue,but good luck whatever you choose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts