Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GREETINGS ALL: Am considering a new P89. Have read that the grip panels are a little more curved inward than on older P 89s. How do grip dimensions: width, rear strap to front strap,and "circumference" vary between P90 and LATEST P89. Since I have my P 90 for reference, I can make a realistic comparison using your P89 dimensions. Thanks.....Happy New Year all members. M g.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I believe both frames are the same. I opted for the P89 since I could switch the grips. A set of Hogue grips are great.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote:Originally posted by Jim D

I believe both frames are the same. I opted for the P89 since I could switch the grips. A set of Hogue grips are great.
I put Hogues on my P 90 but switched back to OEMs. Looking at more pics since I posted my query I see that the P89 grip panels are just like on a P 90. On the P94 the grips are cross grooved for a grid type arrangement......it's the P94 grips that have the subtle inward curvature. I wonder if anyone makes super thin grip panels.......I don't want wood......I want a synthetic material. I have visualized a modified OEM grip.......they're cheap enough to play around with.....plastic is easy to "machine". Here or on the "other site" I saw a P89 with what looked like black plastic/rubber grip panels. They looked to be diamond checkered. But here's the mystery.......I could see NO FASTENER!!!![?][?][?] They might have been an Uncle Mikes product. I'm going to hunt around and see what I can find. Happy New Year Jim D.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Pops1 sent me some Uncle Mike's rubber grips with steel inserts...they are checkered finely and held on by the grip screw down by the magazine well...awesome look and feel-thicker than originals, I'll shoot them tomorrow...he sent me two pair so I'm destined to get my second KP90DC soon!!!!! The package says P85, P89, P90, and P91.....

If you, MACHINISTgunner, need a spare set of factory panels to fart around with...PM me your address...I have a spare set...I'll mail them to you n/c...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

Pops1 sent me some Uncle Mike's rubber grips with steel inserts...they are checkered finely and held on by the grip screw down by the magazine well...awesome look and feel-thicker than originals, I'll shoot them tomorrow...he sent me two pair so I'm destined to get my second KP90DC soon!!!!! The package says P85, P89, P90, and P91.....

If you, MACHINISTgunner, need a spare set of factory panels to fart around with...PM me your address...I have a spare set...I'll mail them to you n/c...
If that's what I decide to do, in the future, I'll keep you in mind sheepdog. Many thanks for your kind offer.....and Happy New Year.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:Originally posted by MACHINISTgunner

quote:Originally posted by Jim D

I put Hogues on my P 90 but switched back to OEMs. Looking at more pics since I posted my query I see that the P89 grip panels are just like on a P 90. On the P94 the grips are cross grooved for a grid type arrangement......it's the P94 grips that have the subtle inward curvature. I wonder if anyone makes super thin grip panels.......I don't want wood......I want a synthetic material. I have visualized a modified OEM grip.......they're cheap enough to play around with.....plastic is easy to "machine". Here or on the "other site" I saw a P89 with what looked like black plastic/rubber grip panels. They looked to be diamond checkered. But here's the mystery.......I could see NO FASTENER!!!![?][?][?] They might have been an Uncle Mikes product. I'm going to hunt around and see what I can find. Happy New Year Jim D.
I found that pic and I WAS WRONG......the OEM fastener is right where it should be.......completely visible. MYSTERY SOLVED.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts