Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I am working on my 44 Rhino again.

I was at the Tulsa Gun Show last weekend and came up with 50 rounds of new W-W 30-40 Krag brass to convert to 44 Rhino.

Digging through 75 or 80 sets of dies, I necked it up in the following increments, 32, 35, 37, 40, and finally 44.
I used a 444 Marlin expanding die for the last one. I had to trim and deburr the case. Then I screwed down the die and ran the case back into the 444 expanding die again. I had to trim and deburr the case again to get close to the final length. I then ran the case into a 44 Magnum carbide sizing die.

I now have a case mouth that is wider than the middle of the case.
I am thinking about fire forming it with a hard cast 240gr bullet with 11 or 12 grains of Unique behind it.
My reasoning is I am shooting 35 to 36 grains of H110 behind a 240 grain Sierra JHP in the 44 Rhino and the Hornady book shows a maximum of 24.8 grains of H110 behind their 240 grain XTP in a 44 Magnum. Lyman's cast bullet book shows a maximum of 11.7 grains of Unique behind a 240 grains Linotype bullet at 37,500 CUPs in a 44 Magnum.

The 44 Rhino is almost a 1/2 inch longer case than the 44 Magnum.

My question is do I need that much Unique to fireform the case and still have the bullet clear the barrel?

The picture that I am trying to insert shows at the 5" line on the ruler the inverted shoulder. I need to straighten out from there to the base. I apologize for the weird shadows.

Help please!

Thank you,
Keith
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi 475linebaugh,

I have wildcatted before but never with an inverted shoulder on the case.

I will try your advice of 6 to 8 grains of Unique.
I am assuming the cotton that you are talking about is something like a small amount of a cotton ball?
I seem to remember another material also being used, dacron or kapok?
Do you know anything about those two?

Thank you,
Keith
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi 475linebaugh,

After my wife had both knees operated on and tending to her needs for the last three months, I finally got a chance to fireform the cases Saturday. I used 8 grains of Unique like you suggested. I topped them with a quarter sheet of toilet paper to hold the powder in place. It worked perfectly, although it was funny to see the toilet paper fly out of the barrel. I thought for sure that it would burn up. The only thing that I thought was strange was that the case extraction was very hard. I had to use a screw driver to push them out.

I went back to load testing with my other batch of cases and extraction didn't get sticky until I reached 35.8 grains of H-110. I am not sure I have reached the top end because the gun was getting dirty. I didn't have a cleaning kit with me, so I will clean it and take it with me the next time I get out. I will reload some cases starting at 35.5 grains and working up to retest.

At any rate, I wanted to thank you again for the advice.
Keith
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top