Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... in a frustrating twist of fate, I couldn't bring it home.

Why? My driver's license expired last summer on my birthday. I don't own a car and have moved since last renewal, so I didn't get the renewal form in the mail and just wasn't paying attention.

So I had to leave it at the shop. I went ahead and paid my dealer for it -- no need making him wait. But couldn't bring it home.

And now I have to wait a week -- until next Wednesday -- when the satellite branch of the state DMV opens again in my town. (Twice a month, two days only -- such is life in rural Maine.)

Color me super bummed!

But at least I got a chance to look it over, fondle it a bit. First thing that stood out for me: those fiber optic sights. Even in the shop, they really glowed.

I wonder how I'll do with that short LOP, but in winter, with extra clothing on, it'll be fine. And the stock is modular, so I may add some length later, or even better, a Hogue overmolded full size stock.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I love my 10/22 Compact. The Fiber Optic Sights are outstanding and I prefer the shorter LOP. Best wishes with taking it home!

·
Super Moderator
4,014 Posts
Ok, I'll be the one to ask the obvious question. Is it the law in Maine that you have to have a DL to purchase a gun? Will another form of ID suffice? Birth certificate?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Bonk, I asked today what other ID would do. He said nothing. After a bit of reading tonight on the all-powerful internet, I'm learning that the key is that the DL has an address, most notably, the state. I think that's what's required. A friend via email earlier suggested using my passport, but it has no address, not even a state, just US citizenship.

I plan to call ... somebody tomorrow to inquire more. But I think I'm stuck.

Sixgun, I'm curious, why do you prefer the shorter LOP? Do you normally shoot "regular" LOP? I do, but I went for the Compact because I really like that 16+" barrel and short length. That really matters here because I spend most time in the woods and we have really dense woods here, especially down in the wetlands. Smaller rifle = easier time getting around. And I think the shorter LOP will work well when I'm wearing several layers in cooler/colder weather. But I'm less sure about other times, so would value your thoughts about it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Really just a personal preference. I just prefer compact model long arms. They are more comfortable for me to shoot. I’m not a smaller stature person, I just like them. Think the Compact will work out great for you. Best wishes!

·
Retired
153 Posts
WAIT,,, you mean they wouldn't just let you walk out with it, laughing and waving it around with a 50 round drum like alot of people think?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
In Louisiana if you don't drive and thus have no need of a drivers license you can get a Identification Card with photo and all the other info required to vote , buy a firearm or whenever a DL ID is required...It's a proper ID card and cheaper than a DL .
You still have get them at DMV ...but there is a much shorter line for those who only want a ID Card.
Louisiana can't be ahead Maine in the how to solve the ID Card problem...can we ?
Gary

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll clarify my relationship to driving. I do drive, but as I said in my OP, I don't own a car -- currently nor since 2010 when I arrived in Maine**.

And yes, we do have a state ID option here: $5 vs $20 (senior fee) for a DL. But I'm going for a DL since I do drive on occasion (though rare), like a rental car or truck or the rare car loan from a friend.

(**That wasn't my plan or my choice, just the way the wheels of fate turned ... along with help from a number of (no longer trusted) people who tried to throw me under a bus and mostly succeeded. Living in central Maine, especially in winter, with nothing but feet and bicycle in my 60's has been a character-building experience and honestly contributed to my good health, despite being a PITA.)

·
Registered
941 Posts
In CA (moved away last year) my son bought a revolver with ID card and rental agreement (and firearm safety card)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I asked my dealer if there were other options, his answer translated simply to no in my case, so I didn't mention them in my OP. (Hey, it was late, I was bummed, etc.)

But he did mention the state ID -- which I don't have -- and something about a pistol permit. CCL? I haven't had one. (CC is legal here w/o permitting, even though there's an advantage to having a formal permit.) Do they have addresses on them and a photo?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wednesday evening, t - 18 hrs and counting ...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got it today! First the DL took about 2+ hours. I got to the DMV about half hour before they closed for lunch with a hope of getting a "number ticket" for the afternoon. The door was locked with a sign "we can't take more customers now, please come back in the afternoon." I had taken a sandwich and book, so I sat at the picnic table for 1.5 hours waiting. During lunch, the parking lot filled with cars. 20 minutes to 1, a line started forming -- I was second in it (even though I was the first one there). By the time they opened the door, there were 30 in line. Such is small town Maine.

Once in, took about half an hour with a good conversation with a guy about guns while we waited. He had some interesting stories.

Then to the gun shop to get the rifle. Have done nothing since returning back home but unpack, attach sling (Quake Claw), read the manual (well done), practice what I'm reading in the manual (learned several things I didn't expect), shoulder/sight out the back window. (I'm having to retrain my head to fold over that far onto the comb to get a sight picture with these fiber optic sights and this compact stock -- I think I may have to upgrade to a full LOP stock, but this will do for now.

And yes, yes, just holding it, looking, dare I say ... fondle? :eek:

I also called my local hardware and found a set of "precision" small screw drivers (several slot heads down to 1/32") for sight elevation. May not need it but ...

I also tried the scabbard I bought for it. It's a shotgun scabbard, but folds down shorter with a strap. It's not going to work for me. It's good quality, and even though a shotgun scabbard, I thought it would work for an unscoped 10/22. But something down in the bottom inside catches and won't let the rifle slide out. It was almost locked in place for a few minutes. ("Let go my rifle you b*^@#!" :mad: )

After getting it out and peering inside with a bright LED, I think the front of the sling swivel tightener (I have no clue what the proper part name is) that sticks out 90 deg from the fore end -- it seemed to be snagging the fabric inside preventing easy extraction. So, it's going back. (Amazon, returns are easy.)

I haven't attempted a disassembly yet or a first cleaning -- will do that tomorrow in good light. Tonight is just "getting to know you".

OK, now that I got the rifle, new thread coming soon about this project.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
*Shoot*, not yet. Believe it or not, I've never shot a 10/22, including this one. I've owned other .22 rifles, but I suspect I saved the best for last.

Today and part of tomorrow it's raining cats and dogs, but maybe on Friday, but for sure by Saturday when good weather returns. Today, I plan to learn to take it down and clean it.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Glad to see that you picked it up yesterday. Looking forward to your thoughts after the first range trip.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been away from this thread since October.

Not intentional, just busy.

Loving this 10/22.

It's hanging right over there
on the pull up bar in the door
where I did 10 earlier. More tmw.

Intend to buy an EC9s to join it. I'll get back to you re that.

But for now, I'm going into the kitchen to eat fried chicken.

·
Registered
190 Posts
... And yes, yes, just holding it, looking, dare I say ... fondle? :eek: ...
"Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object."

Jeff Cooper

1 - 20 of 36 Posts