Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
paint it all the lightest color, then i used the blue tape for painting a house that protects the trim, then i painted it the green color, let it dry put on more blue tape then paint it drak brown the when that dries remove all the tape at the end.... oh and i put a clear coat on it for to protect it a little bit

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I paint all my hunting rifles.....I love seeing a guy in the latest high dollar camo pattern with the sun glinting off a high polished barrel and walnut stock.....

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
When I first read the title of your post I thought, "Ohh my god what has this fruitcake done to that gun"? I owe you an apology, so I'm sorry for that. The gun looks great! Good job, I like it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I first read the title of your post I thought, "Ohh my god what has this fruitcake done to that gun"? I owe you an apology, so I'm sorry for that. The gun looks great! Good job, I like it.
Chalk me up as another one skeptical, but that paint job sure makes that stock... I'm not much of a fan of painting firearms or the AR stocks on long guns, but your unique combo really looks great for that mini 14! You have nudged me to think about a 10/22 overhaul some day

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Good job on the stock, trackstang.
I've painted all my Mini's, starting with a 195 series Mini-14.

Then I discovered Mini-30s, and have painted 4 of them.
The one on the left is a stainless Mini, the one on the right is blued, but both have a Cerakote finish. I don't like balck guns, as there are millions of them, I'd rather have a gun that blends in and doesn't reflect light.

6 years later, and a few thousand rounds shot through each, and the finish still looks like new, and will likely look good when my grandkids are using them long after I'm gone.
Parts are baked to remove hidden oils down in the metal pores, then all parts are sandblasted, scrubbed in Acetone, finish applied with a small touch up gun, then baked at 300 degrees for an hour.

The one on the left with the shorter barrel I gave to my daughter. Only the stock, flash hider, mount for the red dot and Ultimak hand guard was Cerakoted in FDE.
I left the stainless barrel, trigger group and receiver natural stainless but sandblasted them for a matte, non reflective outcome.

The Mini-30 on the right has since been redone in a two tone look of Desert Sand and FDE.

I also Cerakoted all the parts of my full-size M&P .40 in the same two tone, and the slide of my Shield .40 as well.

I do like the digital pattern you did on the stock, I haven't got brave enough to do camo patterns yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts