Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
... whether the gun serves a purpose or not .. they make lots of different guns so we have choices.
Oh, I agree with you that it's his life and his choices. And you have written a lot of great tips about helping him shoot better.

All I'm saying is, maybe his expectations for a bobbed hammer snubby are more than they should be. I don't know what "shotgun patterns" mean to him. I'd like to see pictures of a target, both shot by him, and shot by someone else using the same gun.

Also I think he should keep in mind that gun "fit" is a real thing. With revolvers it may not be as nuanced as a sporting shotgun where people spend hundreds or thousands of dollars getting the right gun to fit their face and torso perfectly. But it could just be that his hand and that gun/grip combo are not and never will be a good combination.

I've had handguns that didn't "work" for me. Some I have learned how to make work after much practice as you describe. But my go-to gun is a single stack 9mm Walther PPS. My hand fits it perfectly. I could grab it quickly and I would naturally get a high grip every time. My trigger finger reach is perfect for great finger placement that allows me to fire without pulling the sights off target. I can pick it up and put nine shots on a small target very quickly every time.

Owning a handgun that doesn't fit him may be like being married to an abusive alcoholic. You can spend a lot of time "trying to make it work" but you may never be successful. And you may be wasting time and missing out on something that is naturally a perfect fit.

Registered
I have a 3" 357 SP and love it single or double action and nothing done to it. I'm more accurate (7 and 15 yards) with it than all my hand guns except my Super Blackhawk.

Registered
Also I think he should keep in mind that gun "fit" is a real thing......

And you may be wasting time and missing out on something that is naturally a perfect fit.
Absolutely .. I am very very finicky about marriage of gun and hand and will sell off a gun that I dont bond with. I just recently sold off a 10mm XDM that was a GREAT gun. It was just to damn big around for my short fingers and I didnt shot it to my potential.

Having said that .. I made sure it was the gun and not me first. or .. gun and me ... and not my inability to shot it well. I worked at shooting it well and I am a fair and experienced shooter. It didnt happen

All I am suggesting is .. if the OP likes the gun .. maybe its worth the effort to get some good information and really try and acclimate to it before giving up.

I may be a bit biased since I have a love of revolvers but except for having to get used to the longer heavier trigger if you are accustomed to semi auto .. the grip and trigger reach are pretty neutral and do lend themselves to being shot well.

Oh and as an aside .. I never got the SP101 either. Some guys love them and more power to them. I dont find them significantly lighter and opted for a 3"gp100 with the extra round. To each their own. I do have a bitty revolver that I carry regularly but its a S&W 642 and it doesn't weigh much more than my Sebenza. If I am going wee bitty then I want to go wee bitty or I will just chose a full size gun but .. again .. Different strokes for different folks and I am cool with that.

Registered
have 2 sp101s. love them both.... but I adapt to the weapon....

Registered
3 inch barrel to 3 inch barrel the SP101 is two thirds of a pound lighter than a GP, that's substantial. It's more compact size allow for easier pocket/conceal carry. And yes its heavier than other snubbies but that affords quicker shots and absorbs recoil of the 357 round better. And you dont have to be shy about running full house 357s.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
Lots of great advice, thankful

Well, I'm going to try to take a lot of this input and put it to the test.

I'm not giving up! and I will see how I can improve. I DO think I have very high expectations! I think I've left everyone with the impression that I can't hit the broadside of a barn with my SP101! Actually, usually the range master comes over and says something like "wow, you really shoot that snubby well!".

Some of my frustration is just that I shoot the cheaper, lighter LCR better! And it frustrates me that I have loved on my SP101 so much and it just isn't right that I shoot the LCR better, darn it!

Which also makes me say that it is valid to think what place does the SP101 have for me. For CCW I shoot the LCR great! and it's lighter with the same capacity, same ammo. So as long as I shoot the LCR better and it's easier to carry I'd be dumb to carry the SP101 instead. Unless of course my backup it to throw it at someone after I run out of ammo, then the SP is superior.

But a couple of guys here have led me to believe that the GP100 isn't the same, bigger gun, better grip...

A lot has been suggested about the grips. How do I say this, I have big hands and it does seem like I have to pull the trigger WAY back, close to my palm. If I could get the back of my hand further from the trigger then that might be the biggest difference.

So, I'm going to work on my grip. Look into different grips on the gun. I'm going to continue to practice. I'm going to dream of getting two guns. The 327 LCR as I think that maybe my perfect CCW. And dream of getting a GP100 357 seven shot as my potentially favorite home defense/range toy.

I plan on reading and re-reading the very good responses to this post. I love revolvers (BTW, don't want to open a can of worms but I have a Shield and M&P Compact that I shoot amazingly well. BUT I REALLY don't want to like Semi-Autos! HaHA)

Gosh darn it, I'm going to get great at my revolvers and I'm going to enjoy the journey!

Registered
Well, I'm going to try to take a lot of this input and put it to the test.

I'm not giving up! and I will see how I can improve. I DO think I have very high expectations! I think I've left everyone with the impression that I can't hit the broadside of a barn with my SP101! Actually, usually the range master comes over and says something like "wow, you really shoot that snubby well!".

Some of my frustration is just that I shoot the cheaper, lighter LCR better! And it frustrates me that I have loved on my SP101 so much and it just isn't right that I shoot the LCR better, darn it!

Which also makes me say that it is valid to think what place does the SP101 have for me. For CCW I shoot the LCR great! and it's lighter with the same capacity, same ammo. So as long as I shoot the LCR better and it's easier to carry I'd be dumb to carry the SP101 instead. Unless of course my backup it to throw it at someone after I run out of ammo, then the SP is superior.

But a couple of guys here have led me to believe that the GP100 isn't the same, bigger gun, better grip...

A lot has been suggested about the grips. How do I say this, I have big hands and it does seem like I have to pull the trigger WAY back, close to my palm. If I could get the back of my hand further from the trigger then that might be the biggest difference.

So, I'm going to work on my grip. Look into different grips on the gun. I'm going to continue to practice. I'm going to dream of getting two guns. The 327 LCR as I think that maybe my perfect CCW. And dream of getting a GP100 357 seven shot as my potentially favorite home defense/range toy.

I plan on reading and re-reading the very good responses to this post. I love revolvers (BTW, don't want to open a can of worms but I have a Shield and M&P Compact that I shoot amazingly well. BUT I REALLY don't want to like Semi-Autos! HaHA)

Gosh darn it, I'm going to get great at my revolvers and I'm going to enjoy the journey!
Good on you brother! And .. If in the end it doesn't satisfy a need.. they do seem to hold their value very well. Look forward to your upcoming range reports!

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
I was just going to suggest trying different grips. Lots of nice ones out there on eBay by the way. Different grips will completely transform a revolver.

If you love it, keep it and experiment around.

There are good aspects to a chunky little double-action SP. Someday when you're an old man, too arthritic to rack the slide on a pistol, that SP with some mild .38s will be a great "bedside table" gun.

Premium Member
Here's an interesting story on grips. I didn't care for the original grips that came with my SP101 so I purchased a set of Hogue Monogrips .. I liked the Monogrips but found they were a little skinny and way to big (long) to conceal. So I bought a set of Pachmayr Diamond Pro's and found the perfect fit (for me anyway). I could shoot more accurately with them than any of the other grips I tried on it. With that in mind I decided I'd get a set of Diamond Pro's for my LCR. Put them on the LCR and could't hit with the same accuracy as the Hogue Tamers that came on it. Different frames give different results with the same model grips.

The moral for me is that each different model gun has a specific grip that'll help marry it to your hand. You just have to keep trying them on until you find it.

Registered
I've owned 2 SP-101s and ended up trading them off on other pistols that I've enjoyed much more.

My 1st was a Talo edition with all of the fancy machine engraving. The trigger on it was as rough as a cob. I too polished all of the internals to a mirror finish. Then a very expensive custom wood grip set up.
It was beautiful. The trigger was as good as it was ever going to be. I ended up trading it for a S&W model 65 with a 3" barrel. The only regret was that I didn't buy a Smith revolver to begin with.

My second 101 was a first generation 3" barrel in .327 Federal Magnum. This revolver locked up when shooting 100gr. Magnum rounds. The spent shells also had to be pried from the cylinder. Research told me that many of the 1st generation .327s had to have the cylinder replaced. I sent it back to Ruger and after about a week or so later they sent it back with notation that they had replaced "all internals and cylinder".

The new internals were very rough. I pulled this one down and polished everything. I also buffed the entire pistol to a mirror shine. During this buffing process I learned just how rough and crude these pistols are finished. You can hide a lot of flaws with a brushed or frosted stainless finish. It took hours of work with sanding blocks and 300 grit sandpaper to get the sides of the frame flat and free of machine and tool marks and swirls.

The trigger return spring channel was full of milling chips. So rough that it took 3hrs of work just to get the 1/4 " drill bit in there to chase out the trash.

All of this is a labor of love that I enjoyed doing.

Another set of beautiful wood grips on this one too.

When I got finished, I thought that it would be a beautiful revolver that I would really enjoy shooting and carrying.

Nope.

My problem is that I have been spoiled by years of owning and enjoying S&W revolvers.

After all of the time, money, and elbow grease, neither of my SP101s could come close to the fit and finish of an out of the box S&W.

My Smiths are like Porsches and my SP101s were like Russian dump trucks.

I'm slow on the uptake and what I do manage to learn, it's usually the hard way.
First one was shame on them. The second one was shame on me.

Registered
I agree with Feralcatkiller and Argee on grips. My SP and my hand did not agree with the stock and Hogue wood grips but get along really well with Pachmayer Renegade grips. On my GP100 other grips fit my hand better. In the past having sunk the money in some Hogue grips on another gun I reshaped the wood to better fit my hand. Also, Hogue and Herrett's will make grips to fit your hand. You send them a hand tracing to do this.

Registered
The Speed Six/Service Six/Police Six.
Bill Ruger said he lost money on every one he sold.
They are the best double action revolver that Ruger has built to date.

Registered
The Speed Six/Service Six/Police Six.
Bill Ruger said he lost money on every one he sold.
They are the best double action revolver that Ruger has built to date.
Glad to hear it. I picked up a mint DAO Speedy 3" 38 spl last week. Old Bill would have made a bunch of money on them if he got what they go for now. As much as I love that new Speed Six, my SP101 DAO 2.25" will remain my carry gun because of the comfort and ease of CC AIWB. I really have more appreciation for the SP after buying that awesome Speed Six as odd as that may be.:)

Registered
All great questions. Both the LCR and SP101 have what I would call a "gutter rear fixed sights". I'm sure there is a better term. I think the other answer is shotgun pattern. The SP just has a lot more variation where the LCR is close to point of aim a tiny bit high and left but close to target.

I'm right handed and I'm not saying that the ammo wouldn't help? I just don't know. But if I take both guns to a range session and use the same ammo out of both, I experience the same as I have described.

My other thoughts are... Is there such a thing as a big variable from one gun to the next (within SP101s)? Maybe I just love the LCR trigger way better than even a great, smooth SP101?
I've got the same problem with accuracy(lack of) with my SP 2.25 DAO despite owning it for over a year and many range trips. My trigger is smooth, light and reliable after some work. I do best with the Hogue monogrip and don't find it hard to conceal AIWB. I like the way it feels and carries but don't shoot it well. I took my "new" 3" Speed Six to the range for the first time yesterday and shot good groups right from the start. Then I tried the SP and it's the same old thing. It's not the fixed sights as I often shoot my M10s and M64 Smiths with fixed sights accurately. I believe it's my trigger pull because there's no consistency to my shots. It's frustrating and I always take another revolver when I shoot the SP so I don't leave with my tail between my legs. I'm not giving up yet.

Grand Inquisitor
Easy solution: Carry the one you shoot best. No matter how many rounds in it.

Save the other for the range. LCR has a fine trigger in .357, but I've not tried the .327 model.

If looks mattered, no one would buy a Glock :) They are popular for other and better reasons. My Kimber is no beauty queen--I think they look odd--but my accuracy with it, even point-shooting, makes it my go-to. I don't rotate CCW guns, either.

Registered
Here's an interesting story on grips. I didn't care for the original grips that came with my SP101 so I purchased a set of Hogue Monogrips .. I liked the Monogrips but found they were a little skinny and way to big (long) to conceal. So I bought a set of Pachmayr Diamond Pro's and found the perfect fit (for me anyway). I could shoot more accurately with them than any of the other grips I tried on it. With that in mind I decided I'd get a set of Diamond Pro's for my LCR. Put them on the LCR and could't hit with the same accuracy as the Hogue Tamers that came on it. Different frames give different results with the same model grips.

The moral for me is that each different model gun has a specific grip that'll help marry it to your hand. You just have to keep trying them on until you find it.
I read through this thread to see if anyone mentioned the PDPs. After extensive searching, knowing what works well for me on most revolvers, they are the only commercially available grips I have any expectation of actually working well for me on the SP101.

Also, just to note, Herrett's says there is enough variation in Ruger frames that they require you to ship them your gun so they can fit the grips to it. Adds ~$160 freight to the cost, which is why I haven't placed an order yet for my GP.

Premium Member
I read through this thread to see if anyone mentioned the PDPs. After extensive searching, knowing what works well for me on most revolvers, they are the only commercially available grips I have any expectation of actually working well for me on the SP101.

Also, just to note, Herrett's says there is enough variation in Ruger frames that they require you to ship them your gun so they can fit the grips to it. Adds ~$160 freight to the cost, which is why I haven't placed an order yet for my GP.
Wow!! You could buy a whole lot of grips for that price and do your own experimentation.

Registered
I agree with John R. I stopped taking multiple guns to the range because the differences between trigger pull, weights, feel would throw me off when switching back and forth. Take one and stick with it for a couple of months and then switch.

Registered
Very well said!!!

21 - 40 of 53 Posts