Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That kid on Alaska Bush Family poured hot chicken grease into the bolt of a bolt action rifle. I don't know what kind of rifle it was but when it gets cold. I would have thought that would have gummed up. Or is this another stupid TV trick.

·
Bang Bang
383 Posts
"bush" gun maintenance

I thought the same about sticking the action too.

I knew a boy who spread bacon grease on his long gun. The salt in the grease rusted the gun promptly.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would sooner use oil from the dipstick of my snowmobile.

Yes. "I saw it on TV." qualifies it as nonsense.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
The Alaskan bush people are idiots!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Traditionally, bear grease was used in a similar fashion. It works. Other stuff works better. But you use what you have.

Jeff

·
Registered
880 Posts
Just Hollywood BS. I don't watch the show but I wouldn't recommend treating a bolt action that way. The bolt would be 10 times more effective if it were just cleaned with no lubricant than to put any of that junk on it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
That kid on Alaska Bush Family poured hot chicken grease into the bolt of a bolt action rifle. I don't know what kind of rifle it was but when it gets cold. I would have thought that would have gummed up. Or is this another stupid TV trick.
The last episode I saw the oldest son was using axle grease for shaving cream. Guess he used it all up so they had to use chicken grease for gun lube. When the show first hit the air it was interesting. Now it seems contrived and staged. Read somewhere that the cast doesn't live on the island but spend their time in hotels and are ferried out to their homestead on days they need to film

1 - 8 of 8 Posts