Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set out today to go buy the new Ruger American pistol. My local shop had one for trials and rental . Now I gve most brands the benefit of the doubt and so I was all set to buy it . My friend that works there gave me the new Ruger and some ammo and told me to go shoot it. I took it to the range there . Now guys I am an old country boy so I may not use the correct terms here .

The trigger and reset were just almost not there. I could barely feel where the trigger resets and it is hardly audible at all. The trigger had to go almost all the way forward to reset itself. I beleive if you rapidly fired this pistol you would easily "short-stroke" the trigger and it wouldn't fire. The trigger pull feels like one of those stress balls that you squeeze where the rubber is very soft . It almost seems like the striker barely has enough power to pierce the primer.

I love the feel of the gun . The rear of the grip where it meets your thumbs when firing did not bother me at all . I know a lot of people have said this bites their thumb knuckle , but it did not bother me at all. Accuracy was good . Recoil was good.

I have shot Glocks for 20 years and carried one on my job for 18 yrs so I am very used to how they work. I also shoot a S&W M&P9 . Both have a good positive trigger and reset . And as some of you guys know , I am a huge fan of Ruger's old P-Series pistols . I still have a few that I shoot regulary. The big ole fat and ugly ones but even they have better triggers than this new Ruger . I also noticed that when I took this new Ruger's slide off that it has no conventional trigger bar like Glock and the M&P has . It was very new to me and I did not undertsand it's "guts" as comapared to what I am used to.

So I decided to keep my money and just wait it out. I was sssoooooo set on getting this pistol. I still hope it does well and I may eventually get one , but I am gonna wait it out for a while and see if Ruger does anything with this trigger. The shop said that they are going to keep running this pistol on the rental range and not clean it to see how well it does. I am anxious to see how it does too.

Guys I didn't mean to jabber on and on but I thought I'd share my experience that I had today. Like I said , I will hold out for Ruger to see if they "upgrade" this trigger and/or fix or change anything else.

Until then if I see an old P90 in .45ACP in great shape I may just buy it instead .
I gotta sum it up this way , This is a picture of my P95 . In my opinon , it is way better , easier to maintain and easier to shoot than the new Ruger American . I really wanted this new Ruger but if Ruger doesnt do something with that hideous trigger system , I wont buy one .

Have a great day guys /gals

Attachments

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Thanks for the honest review. I was eager to get one in 45 as well, but I think I'll do what you did and wait it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice review. Waiting to see one myself. Our LGS didn't have one last time I was in. Your review will provide me some guidance when I do get my hands on one!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont believe in rapid firing and I dont do double-taps a bunch , but if you try to do it in this pistol , it is very easy to "short-stroke" the trigger and then it wont fire.
I REALLY wanted this pistol and thank God I was my friend that works at the gun shop allowed me to shoot it. I like the feel , the looks , and the way it fits togather but the trigger is just wierd or spongy with a LONG reset that is barely audible or barely felt. But like I said , I have shot Glocks for over 20 yrs . But remember I regularly shoot my Ruger P-series and to me they shoot way better than this new gun .

·
Registered
225 Posts
*Completely different take:
Got to put about 50 rds apiece through the new Ruger and the Sig in a side by side yesterday at CrossRoads Shooting Sports in Des Moines, IA and I love them both!*
The trigger on the Sig Sauer P320 is renowned to be an excellent trigger and in my novice opinion it is a very nice trigger but I have to say that Ruger really hit the trigger on the AMERICAN as well.*
No grit, no staggering, just one sweet smooth motion to the bbreak point....I was hitting as well with one as the other....I tend to drop at least one in a five shot group as I get a bit impatient*
The only issue I had was the grip came loose...or perhaps I forgot to tighten the torx screw on the back strap, which is more likely the case. It allowed a bit of the webbing between my thumb and forefinger to get pinched between the grip and the frame.*
It was jammed pretty good and I didn't feel it was a good time to start gunsmithing the gun on the firing line. I got home and was able to work the grip back into position and set the torx screw to the lock position.*
If the screw stays tight and the grip stays put I'll have to say that Ruger has got quite the product on their hands!

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
New stuff...I'll wait and see how people respond...thanks for the review!

I, currently, have an older P-93 DAO 9mm inbound...can't wait to get it and head to the range to see how it shoots!

·
Banned
513 Posts
I stopped buying ruger semi auto pistols when they got rid of the hammer.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I don't think this one is for the Glock guys. As for me I love it including the trigger. I own the 45.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I own a Sig P320 in 45 A C P and i will tell you straight up it has a great trigger.
The trigger has some take up that you can feel, and that's a good safety thing.
The take up disengages the drop safety like the extra piece does on a Glock.
It's smooth to the wall, and than a short easy break, As for the trigger reset ?
I don't get to crazy on the audible thing, Come on, what can you here when your shooting ? BUT you do feel the mechanics of the trigger resetting and I will tell you it is short.
After 30 or 40 rounds you should have it well under control.

I do shoot fast, I do doubles and triples, I shoot from the holster and my training and shooting is all about self defense. I absolutely love this pistol.
I have the compact, is it a pocket gun ? NO, if you want small get the P320 Sub compact.

We all have a different interpretation of target shooting, is the P320 a target gun ? NO
can you target shoot with is or use it for competition ? of course.

What it is ---- is, a dam good kick but self defense gun, Can you Mod the heck out of it ?
Not really, and why the heck would you want to.

I like, my wife likes--Ruger guns, we have a load of Em. But when I have a Sig P320 that shoots as good as my 1911, is as accurate
( and I shoot 5 to 6000 rounds a year with it ) Then I look no further.

Hello Sir, good day, here is your $499.00 may I have my new pistol ?
thank you, have a nice day.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I own a Sig P320 in 45 A C P and i will tell you straight up it has a great trigger.
The trigger has some take up that you can feel, and that's a good safety thing.
The take up disengages the drop safety like the extra piece does on a Glock.
It's smooth to the wall, and than a short easy break, As for the trigger reset ?
I don't get to crazy on the audible thing, Come on, what can you here when your shooting ? BUT you do feel the mechanics of the trigger resetting and I will tell you it is short.
After 30 or 40 rounds you should have it well under control.

I do shoot fast, I do doubles and triples, I shoot from the holster and my training and shooting is all about self defense. I absolutely love this pistol.
I have the compact, is it a pocket gun ? NO, if you want small get the P320 Sub compact.

We all have a different interpretation of target shooting, is the P320 a target gun ? NO
can you target shoot with is or use it for competition ? of course.

What it is ---- is, a dam good kick but self defense gun, Can you Mod the heck out of it ?
Not really, and why the heck would you want to.

I like, my wife likes--Ruger guns, we have a load of Em. But when I have a Sig P320 that shoots as good as my 1911, is as accurate
( and I shoot 5 to 6000 rounds a year with it ) Then I look no further.

Hello Sir, good day, here is your $499.00 may I have my new pistol ?
thank you, have a nice day.
they are adding things almost daily you can use on the RAP...saw a new sight option I like and would love to have at the Ruger Store but not going to spend almost $300 for it.....I plan to carry the 45 for self defense and was the only reason I got it, just waiting for the holster I want to become available....the e-mail I got from Ruger a day before the official announcement said they are working closely with many after market people so we will have many options available to modify the RAP.........

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've had as many as five Ruger autos at one time. I'm down to three. The SR9C, LC9S and a newer LCP. I love them all. That being said my best shooting pistol in 9mm is my CZ SP-01 Shadow. It has an incredible trigger and perfect reset. It's without a doubt the best pistol let alone 9mm I have ever owned. Like I said I love my Ruger's but I probably won't be getting the Ruger American anytime soon if ever.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One good thing about the new Ruger is that it doesnt have the little striker indicator sticking out of the rear like the XD series has . I can see dirt and water getting into that channel .
I also like that it doesnt have the loaded chamber indicator and the magazine disconnect safety. But all I am waiting for is the trigger to get better .
This review I did was totally honest . I have as many Rugers as I do Glocks so I am not more towards one brand than another.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I stopped buying ruger semi auto pistols when they got rid of the hammer.
This is kind of the way I feel. I realize striker fired pistols are all the rage, but it surprises me that Ruger has gone entirely that way with their entire line other than the 1911. Not EVERY person out there wants striker fired

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
This is kind of the way I feel. I realize striker fired pistols are all the rage, but it surprises me that Ruger has gone entirely that way with their entire line other than the 1911. Not EVERY person out there wants striker fired
And conversely, not everyone out there wants a metal, hammer fired pistol, either.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
And conversely, not everyone out there wants a metal, hammer fired pistol, either.
I realize that, but Ruger gives you no choice in the matter. Currently it's striker fired, or take your business elsewhere..........so that's what I do. Just be nice to have some choices in the product line

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Well I got a 5 round test fire today, as there are 4 gun shop/ranges in my area that have them.

I went to the closest 1 to my house & have been there 2X, but would not buy from them as there prices are near MSRP.

They only had the 9mm for testing & none in stock to sell.
I looked it over prior to walking to the range, bit did not dry fire it.
My 1st. shot I pulled low left, due to being unsure of the trigger, but the others were at POA.
This test pistol had the small grip & I don't have big hands, but it felt small to me & I would try the medium.
Sights were fine & the trigger fine & no problem with the grip at all & it felt good in my hand, with little felt recoil.
It felt very similar to the Sig 320 & the S&W MP, grip wise.

The problems I have heard on here with the grip, slide releasing when installing the magazines & others I did not see at all, but everyone is different.

I want a range 9mm & I will try a few more before deciding, but I did not learn anything to remove the Ruger from my short list. If I added a wish list to it, I would prefer a barrel closer to 5" than 4, but that would be all for now.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I realize that, but Ruger gives you no choice in the matter. Currently it's striker fired, or take your business elsewhere..........so that's what I do. Just be nice to have some choices in the product line
When I first bought my SR9c striker version from Ruger, they were still shipping their hammer fired models (and they were selling for less, too). They were the "P" series models that people still rave about.

Local gunshops stopped ordering more of them once they sold out cuz they just weren't moving out the door fast. You probably know that if you've been buying guns for a long time. People's tastes in everything chances.

Ruger isn't the only company moving away from hammer fired handguns (unless you want to include the LCP, LC380 CA, SR22P and SR1911, etc.)

Many of the other companies that made hammer fired models are reducing the number of models that they make.

I haven't checked lately, but I don't think S&W or SA sell too many hammer models anymore, either.

Glock gives you absolutely no other choice.

It's purely a business decision, they sell what people want.

Ruger sells more different models of handguns and rifles than any other American manufacturer.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts