Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only bought my SP101 a few weeks ago and now I am looking for something to go with it. I really would like a S&W. I have decided to go with a Semi-Auto, Looking at 2 S&W Self Defense Pistols, a .40 cal with (2) 14 round mags or a 9mm with (2) 16 round mags.....The pistol will be strictly for self defense, not wanting to dump a lot of money and these look good and have awesome reviews, they say trigger is more like a double action with a long pull but hell thats all I ever owned in a handgun....Opinions.....40 or 9mm...opinions on this S&W model.....SD9 VE? & SD40 VE? - Smith & Wesson

·
Registered
592 Posts
I prefer 9mm (or 45acp) over the 40. Don't have any experience with the SDVE series; did have an M&P40 for a while but just never liked the hinged trigger. Any reason you aren't considering the SR series?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I prefer 9mm (or 45acp) over the 40. Don't have any experience with the SDVE series; did have an M&P40 for a while but just never liked the hinged trigger. Any reason you aren't considering the SR series?
I would like to have a S&W and the price on those are within what I want to pay plus the reviews, Both look similar, S&W I can pocket a bit of change.....wont be getting one untill after the 1st of the year so things could change....do like the SR45...will just depend on what they all sell for after the first.....

·
Emperor
885 Posts
Have you shot .40 cal S&W before? If not, I would suggest you do before you decide.

Like Gun Fun, I much prefer shooting 9mm Pb or ,45 cal ACP to .40 S&W. It is not that I can't shoot .40 cal or hate it but I don't shoot it as well.

The .40 cal round generates very high case pressures and the recoil is described by many as "snappy". The .45 cal ACP recoil is more like a big backwards push that for me is easier on the hands. Forty cal S&W tends to be hard on the gun in the long term as well.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
As a newer shooter the 9 iis good due to lower recoil and lesser ammo cost encouraging more practice. There is no cure for gunitis only treatment.

·
Administrator
22,270 Posts
Self defense you've got an Sp101 what more do you need? ;):p

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
First off Tumbleweed what caliber is your SP101?? If its .357/.38 Special I have to agree with TerryP what more do you really need unless its a want!!! Personally I would go with the 9mm or the .45 app over the .40 S&W. Plus is it a large ammo capacity that you want with a double stack semi-auto pistol?? I much prefer a single stack semi auto just in case sometime you want to carry it concealed. There is also a expense in getting the right holster for your pistols as well. Get to know your Ruger SP101 first you might not feel the same down the road but if not no problem. I like the S&W M&P line of semi-auto's but the Ruger line of medium sized semi-autos look very good as well!! Good Luck in your quest!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First off Tumbleweed what caliber is your SP101?? If its .357/.38 Special I have to agree with TerryP what more do you really need unless its a want!!! Personally I would go with the 9mm or the .45 app over the .40 S&W. Plus is it a large ammo capacity that you want with a double stack semi-auto pistol?? I much prefer a single stack semi auto just in case sometime you want to carry it concealed. There is also a expense in getting the right holster for your pistols as well. Get to know your Ruger SP101 first you might not feel the same down the road but if not no problem. I like the S&W M&P line of semi-auto's but the Ruger line of medium sized semi-autos look very good as well!! Good Luck in your quest!!!
Its nothing more than a want...I have an old 1985 Rosi Mod. 68 that works like new and the sp101 is a 357 so I have all I need..but now I just want a semi auto......

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I was going to save up for the .50 magnum but I came to my senses (be nice to have but honestly not ideal to carry :eek:) and having something that holds 14 or 17 rounds would be nice...I have decided on the 9mm, got away from shooting and guns altogether for 10 years and my stepson came up a couple months ago and talked both me and the wife to get our carry permits so now I am back into them and damn so many to choose from today..back in 1985 it was simple...38 or 357 revolver....not that simple today :confused:

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Man Tumbleweed, you got that right here I am 68 years old and about the time I figure I've got enough guns, lo and behold, I come across another one I just have to have. Gunitus is a terrible decease to say the least.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Lots of good info here Smith & Wesson Forum . They have an entire section devoted to the SD 9/40 VE series. I have two M&P pistols myself, and like them very well. I've been tempted to try one of the SDs myself. Good luck!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Only bought my SP101 a few weeks ago and now I am looking for something to go with it. I really would like a S&W. I have decided to go with a Semi-Auto, Looking at 2 S&W Self Defense Pistols, a .40 cal with (2) 14 round mags or a 9mm with (2) 16 round mags.....The pistol will be strictly for self defense, not wanting to dump a lot of money and these look good and have awesome reviews, they say trigger is more like a double action with a long pull but hell thats all I ever owned in a handgun....Opinions.....40 or 9mm...opinions on this S&W model.....SD9 VE? & SD40 VE? - Smith & Wesson

Apologies for weighing in late. The negative reviews of the SD series guns piqued my curiosity. I wondered how bad could it be? I always wanted to get some trigger time on the latest evolution of the series, the SD9VE. Thanks to a sale, a coupon, and rewards points I own one.

(modified)

My observations after shooting about 250 rounds through it in it's stock configuration.

1. The trigger pull feels about 8 or 9 pounds to me. The striker is not pre-cocked. The trigger has to fully cock and release the striker. The trigger pull stacks all the way to the predictable break point. Trigger reset is full out. IMO, it is not a horrible trigger pull.

2. The trigger shoe is hinged on the SDVE series just like on a M&P series. The hinged trigger adds mush and additional pre-travel before the actual pull starts. IMO, this is the single worst feature of the stock gun.

I swapped the hinged trigger to an Apex trigger shoe. It took a little bit of fitting. While I had it all apart, I installed an Apex spring kit and polished it. Now I have a trigger that doesn't have the mush induced by the hinged trigger with zero over travel. Trigger pull weight feels about 5.5 to 6 pounds.

Just to reiterate, the stock trigger pull weight didn't bother me. I've spent the time and ammo to learn how to shoot a DAO revolver well. I have no problems with a DAO trigger. I'm not so concerned about the 8 or 9 pound trigger pull. What bothered me the most was that hinged trigger. The APEX trigger shoe brings out the best in the gun.

F.Y.I. It has a three dot sight setup. The front sight is metal. The rear sight is plastic. From my research, sights that fit the M&P will fit the SDVE series. Mine is a range only gun. I haven't felt the overriding need to swap out the stock sights. The stock sights are dead on from the factory.

As to whether or not to go 9mm v.s. .40 S&W, that's up to you. I have no dog in that fight. I enjoy and am proficient at shooting 9mm and .40 S&W. Given your intent to use it for self defense and if it were me, I will always choose the pistol with the greater capacity. The caveat being that I'm using premium factory defensive JHP ammunition. Why? Imagine someone actually tells you there are an unknown number bad guys in your home. You know you're going into a fight. You get to have one pistol. The center fire pistol has one in the chamber and a single full mag. They're all generally the same size. On the counter you have:

• A pistol chambered in .45 ACP with 11 rounds onboard.
  • A pistol chambered in .40 S&W with 15 rounds onboard.
  • A pistol chambered in 9mm with 17 rounds onboard.

I'll choose capacity every single time.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,405 Posts
I can resist anything but temptation. I have been buying and selling guns since 1962. I need just one more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts