Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, for the last time while only using my friend's pistol.

Finally, after taking way too long to raise the funds (even though I work two jobs, supporting a family in the motherland is not easy), I should have what I need to buy my first handgun.

Back when I started this quest, I was going to get a GP-100. Then the California Politburo and director Arnold decided that all semi-automatics would need to be micro-stamped by 2010. I decided that my first handgun needs to be one of those, before this De facto ban takes effect.

I wanted to get a P90, but have decided for economic reasons to buy a P95.

When I went shooting on Monday (my day off), I was not able to get to my friend's home range until the end of the day. As before, I enjoyed his Beretta 92, but I can't wait until next time.

I hope to order my gun at the end of the month, and will let you know how it goes.

Thank you all for the valuable info I have gotten here. It has helped make the wait bearable.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Congratulations are in order I think. Or at least they will be when you get your 95. I don't know what kind of prices you are looking at but be sure to check out Bud's Gun Shop right here in Dear Old Kentucky. And also, at least for the time being, the price you are quoted will include delivery to someone with an FFL where you have arranged to pick up the gun. You will just need to pay his (or her) Transfer Fee and any applicable taxes.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well, for the last time while only using my friend's pistol.

Finally, after taking way too long to raise the funds (even though I work two jobs, supporting a family in the motherland is not easy), I should have what I need to buy my first handgun.

Back when I started this quest, I was going to get a GP-100. Then the California Politburo and director Arnold decided that all semi-automatics would need to be micro-stamped by 2010. I decided that my first handgun needs to be one of those, before this De facto ban takes effect.

I wanted to get a P90, but have decided for economic reasons to buy a P95.

When I went shooting on Monday (my day off), I was not able to get to my friend's home range until the end of the day. As before, I enjoyed his Beretta 92, but I can't wait until next time.

I hope to order my gun at the end of the month, and will let you know how it goes.

Thank you all for the valuable info I have gotten here. It has helped make the wait bearable.
California resident here.One of the most striking things I've noticed in the last year or so, is the lack of handgun variety when I go to gunshops. It's the regulations that are the cause. Suppose a manufacturer makes 2 identical pistols.......except that.......one is blued.........the other is stainless. That manufactuer will have to to submit BOTH GUNS to California Department of Justice ( DOJ) so that the agency can determine that EACH meets DOJ requirements. Obviously, a different finish alone, is just that, the difference has nothing to do with function, safety, etc. And the manufacturer will have to pay DOJ A FEE FOR EACH GUN as it submits the guns to their testing protocol. I wanted the SR 9 but didn't want to risk waiting only to find that importation of the SR 9 was prohibited. So I got a KP 89......while they are still available..........FROM RUGER! The restrictions imposed by the California legislature and implemented by DOJ, are definitely starting to impact supply of hanguns.........which is exactly the objective of the legislature.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The restrictions imposed by the California legislature and implemented by DOJ, are definitely starting to impact supply of hanguns.........which is exactly the objective of the legislature.
That is exactly what they are working on. It is why I am so frustrated with Arnold's signing of the stupid micro stamping trash.

I don't know what kind of prices you are looking at but be sure to check out Bud's Gun Shop
One of the local guys has it through Davidson's Gallery of Guns for $335 (free shipping, and he only charges a $10 fee on top of that). I might look into Bud's and into CDNN also, but I want to support him either way. I can't imagine anyone doing that much better.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
That P95 will serve you well and should last a lifetime. I've been extremely pleased with the one I have and the prices are very reasonable, especially when contrasted against some pistols from rival companies.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
You're doing good to support your local dealer...the big companies don't care so much about us....ie. WallyWorld...the lawyers might convince them to close the gun counter...a few bucks to keep him going is worth it.....this country was built on customer loyalty....a good value system.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I believe you made a wise choice in the P95. Probably one of the more reliable and accurate guns Ruger makes. Thank goodness the SR9 isn't available in "Feinstein and Boxer Country" - you might never buy another auto-loader if ya' started with one of the early releases!

I left California 10 1/2 years ago and I am SO GLAD I did; when I return there now, I gag. The state in general and the gun laws specifically have gone to hell. I still see the gangs roaming the streets - and odds are they are armed in spite of the laws.

In any event - WELCOME and enjoy that P95 - the redesign is the best thiing Ruger has done in a LONG time!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Regardless of what model or type of gun you--- hurry up and BUY it! We are all proud of
you here. These are serious times now aound us. That firearm will go a long way towards
protecting you and your family. Keep up the positive thinking!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got to fondle my new P95 today. It is either the most beautify semi-automatic handgun in the world, or I am biased due to my excitement level; I am not sure which it is.

I had a great experience with Ron Reed at Suron Enterprises. He was very informative and took his time in both answering my questions, and in administering the safety test that all California residents must do before getting an new pistol.

I truly don't know why people say Ruger pistols are ugly. I will post pictures and range report eventually, though I still have to wait my 10 days before I can even take it home.

Thanks again to everybody here who has been so helpful as I have been working towards this first pistol purchase.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Safety test?? WTH is that?
In order to buy a handgun here, you have to have a "handgun safety certificate." You have to take a written test, then do a safety demonstration in order to get it. It costs $25 (plus another $25 for background check), and it expires after a year. In other words, I can buy handguns for one year before I have to re-take the test.

The written test contains mostly common sense stuff. About 80% of it is valuable info to have, but some of it is quite "lawyerish". For example: True or False: "When not using a gun, it is imperative to use a firearm safety device and store it in an unlock container" (can you guess which is the "right" answer)

There was one about always having the gun unloaded. Several regarding kids, like: True or False "An important lesson children should learn is that guns are not toys" (I felt like my daughters were so much safer after having answered that question).

I have no objection to most of the content of the test, though it is typical "big brother" mentality that makes the rather silly test a requirement.

The hands on portion of the test was actually informative and fun. Ron let me fondle 3 different guns. It goes through actual (as opposed to lawyerish) safe handling (loading, unloading, clearing jams, muzzle awareness, etc).

Again, living in this state is certainly a pain, but Ron made the process pleasant enough. While I do not like the law, spending that time with a knowledgeable gun lover made it a fun experience.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ah did you Komifornians miss the fact that all the old Semis bought before 2010 have to be retro Micro fitted or distroyed!!
So buying a non Micro stamped gun now does nothing for you! Get a revolver then you don't have to worry about it! But then again you'll not have ammo as they banned lead for bullets!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah did you Komifornians miss the fact that all the old Semis bought before 2010 have to be retro Micro fitted or distroyed!!
Hey, we not all Commies!

But that slight aside, where did you get this info. I had not heard that one at all. Are you just making it up, driven by an anti-California froth, or did you actually read that in the text of the new law?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gunnut45/454,

I don't know where you got your info, but I double checked the stupid law itself. It simply means that no new guns will be approved after 2010. After that date, unstamped new guns will be allowed, if they were already on the approved list. The law does not require anything of people who already own a semi, or who buy a pre-stamped semi that is on the list.

I am not defending the law it all, it is quite inane. I also know that its main purpose is to slowly get rid of all guns owned by citizens. Having said that, I like to know that truth, and the truth is, the law does not state that my gun will be destroyed if I do not get it altered.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Also there is some interesting language in the microstamping bill that requires that the technology be "unencumbered by patents". Presently there is only one manufacturer of the technology and that patent doesn't expire till 2023 so the microstamping may not even take effect. For you CA gunowners check out Calguns.net for some very useful info on CA gunlaws.;)

And NO there is no retrofit requirement for already owned pistols.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Good choice cruelshoes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i also think my p-95 is beautiful; I think it is a work of art.[im also still excited about my p95 that i purchased 2 weeks ago]. Maybe im biased because of the flawless operation of this fine U.S.A. made weapon. after appr 200 rds of 6 different ammo types and no malfunctions of any kind. IT looked great to me before i fired it and now it looks even better. It has a good "personality"!!! plus 1 to what jaredshs said.If ever we needed to be armed now is certainly the time. peacepr9515

·
Banned
49 Posts
"Fight for your right to Paaaaarrrrrtyyyyyyy"-Beastie boys, try to fix Kommifornia. I have pity for them but there is nothing I can do on the west coast.
Kevin

·
Registered
92 Posts
sometimes i do not think that people who live in such oppressive regimes fully realize what it is like to live in a free state (free being relative, of course). i am fortunate to live in a state where gun ownership is sacrosanct, so much so that we have a state consitutional amendment granting the right to keep and bear arms for self defense and lawful hunting purposes (no BS 2nd A prefatory clause here!)

so much for one nation...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts