[Psst. It's an upgrade from what I was considering.]

Right now, it's after midnight, after dinners and desert,
and after watching The Tribes of Europa,
which makes me want this revolver even more. :oops:

Reactions: TNMark

·
Registered
110 Posts
Good looking gun. I've considered it too. I don't see the 22 LCR very often. They sell quick when shops get them in.

·
Registered
509 Posts
My sister in law has a new one, it handles nice, I'm hoping to shoot it in the near future.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Wife has one, and I'll bring it along sometimes to the range. Like it a lot. Even bought an OWB holster for it. Bet you'll like too.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I’d go for one, but I’m put off by reports of a hellaciously heavy trigger.
I've read those posts as well and am so glad to have ignored them completely. If all I did was read internet and forum posts about the heavy trigger pull on the .22lr SP101 and the .22lr GP100 I'd have never purchased either of them. They are very close to my two favorite revolvers and I have had zero issue with either of the trigger pulls. I do not have particularly strong hand strength either. They're just not abnormally heavy trigger pulls IMHO. As added benefits, the more you shoot them the better they get and the better shooter you'll be.

Even if you find the trigger spring too much to bear, there are multiple replacement spring options that take less than 30 minutes for the complete novice to try. More than likely, what you'll find is a few days of dry firing with snap caps followed by a thorough clean and lube will have any 'hellacious' trigger working well.

Most people and posts are more about 'problems', perceived or real than about anything else. Like watching the weather channel, they tend to amplify any and all perceived or real bad weather rather than say, 'go outside and enjoy the beautiful weather'. They'll certainly focus on the 10% chance of scattered showers though.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I've read those posts as well and am so glad to have ignored them completely. If all I did was read internet and forum posts about the heavy trigger pull on the .22lr SP101 and the .22lr GP100 I'd have never purchased either of them. They are very close to my two favorite revolvers and I have had zero issue with either of the trigger pulls. I do not have particularly strong hand strength either. They're just not abnormally heavy trigger pulls IMHO. As added benefits, the more you shoot them the better they get and the better shooter you'll be.

Even if you find the trigger spring too much to bear, there are multiple replacement spring options that take less than 30 minutes for the complete novice to try. More than likely, what you'll find is a few days of dry firing with snap caps followed by a thorough clean and lube will have any 'hellacious' trigger working well.

Most people and posts are more about 'problems', perceived or real than about anything else. Like watching the weather channel, they tend to amplify any and all perceived or real bad weather rather than say, 'go outside and enjoy the beautiful weather'. They'll certainly focus on the 10% chance of scattered showers though.
That's good to know. I rented a snubbie LCR .22 once and the trigger was pretty heavy. I've tried S&W and Charter Arms .22LR revolvers and those triggers seem lighter and more pleasant.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for comments so far. Encouraging.

I'll flesh out this thread later with some more details about why I'm considering this gun. It's a fairly long story. Short for now, I'm pining for a .22 LR handgun. I currently own an EC9s and a 10/22 -- my only two guns (I purposefully keep a small kit for a bunch of reasons). I've been thinking hard about adding a Mark IV Standard with a 6" barrel -- assuming they ever become available again during my lifetime -- and have even toyed a bit with the idea of a LCP II in .22 as a little pocket gun. But I've been reading some threads lately about problems with that, so...

I was very much a revolver guy for almost a decade back in the early 2000's -- all SW (.38 spl and .357 mag) -- then went with semi-autos -- all Rugers.

But for some reason I can't fully explain, I've been bit again by the revolver bug. And there's just something about this revolver that appeals to me. Can't fully explain it, but one factor is the hammer and the option for SA/DA.

It would be a camp/trail gun that goes along on my ATV trips (I don't own a car, only ATV, and I ride in wild places here in eastern Maine a lot -- for that matter, the large majority of eastern Maine IS wild with a very low human population).

OK, more to that story at a later time. I better get off the internet now and do some work ...

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Quick question. I've never handled an LCRx. I tried out an LCR back when they first came out; looked at a .38 spl. (Bought a SW instead then.)

Are the grips on the LCRx 3" full sized, or does it force the pinky to ride below the grips? I have small hands for a man, and it looks large enough for me. I hate having my pinky slide off; that alone could be a game changer. I searched Hogue grips (which I love; all my handguns end up wearing a set), and they make them for the LCRx 3", but they have finger groves that look like only two fingers will fit (middle and fourth).

PS: just found a set of Hogues without finger grooves; these could work better.

PS 2: re-reading the specs on the Ruger page, I see that it comes stock with Hogue Tamer grips. Duh.

Reactions: mark40

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
[QUOTE="Katahdin-1022, post: 4598840, member: 157751"
Are the grips on the LCRx 3" full sized, or does it force the pinky to ride below the grips? I have small hands for a man, and it looks large enough for me. I hate having my pinky slide off; that alone could be a game changer.
[/QUOTE]

3" LCRx has full size grips, my hands are the same and be assured your pinky will be fully on the grip.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, Mark. That's reassuring. I've now read several reviews and watched several video reviews of it, and can see now that the grips are indeed full sized. At least one reviewer pointed out that the slim grips are really great for people with small to medium sized hands. And the fact that they're Hogues is a real plus for me.

All the reviewers that I've seen so far have claimed that it performs flawlessly with all ammo they put through it. I was strongly considering a Mark IV, or even an LCP II in .22, but reliability is more an issue with them. Of course, failure to fire issues are to be expected with rimfire, but it's remarkable that the LCRx seems to experience less of it. The reviewers attributed that to the heavier trigger pull offering more solid hammer strikes. I can't say -- I have no expertise in such things -- but it is appealing, in part because this gun will have some self-defense uses for me.

That's NOT going to be its primary use. Primary use is a kit gun that would allow adding a squirrel or grouse to the camp pot. If I'm going somewhere dangerous -- and such places really don't really exist much in my part of the world, especially since I spent the LARGE majority of my time alone in the wilds away from people -- I'll carry a centerfire; for me, now, that's an EC9s. But for the woods, 8 rounds of .22 LR will be fine. Like the late Jeff Quinn was fond of saying, if you start poking holes in people, they tend to leave you alone. He said that in reviews about both .380 ACP and .22 LR.

Speaking of Jeff Quinn, here's his review of the LCRx in .22 LR. I always enjoyed and appreciated his reviews.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I had a .38 special LCRX for a while. Is the trigger pull heavy? maybe, but it never bothered me. It was certainly heavy compared to my boss' King Cobra, but that even is heavier than any semiauto when fired in DA mode. The LCR has a smooth pull and very short in SA mode. Some report at 6lb SA and 12-14lb DA. Of course I am not the best judge since I feel my stock 10/22 trigger is great.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
By the way, I may end up buying an LCRx rather than a Mark IV. At least for now. But I'd still like to own a Mark IV someday if funds allow. I've wanted a Mark series pistol for decades. I've got a thread going about that. What retarded me from getting one before now was the takedown/reassembly. Now that that's resolved, it's very appealing.

But for now, this LCRx may win out. We'll see.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I was strongly considering a Mark IV, or even an LCP II in .22, but reliability is more an issue with them. Of course, failure to fire issues are to be expected with rimfire, but it's remarkable that the LCRx seems to experience less of it. The reviewers attributed that to the heavier trigger pull offering more solid hammer strikes. I can't say -- I have no expertise in such things -- but it is appealing, in part because this gun will have some self-defense uses for me.
A strong hammer strike is important for rimfire reliability. My .22 revolvers and rifles almost never exhibit light strikes. If it doesn’t fire it’s almost always a dud round. In my auto-loading .22 pistols the majority of failures to fire will fire on a second strike; probably 2 out of 3 as an estimate.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I enjoy my lcrx 22lr. Great little shooter. Yes trigger a bit heavy. It's no where near the sp101 22lr. The lcr trigger majic makes it smooth. Once you get used to it and it gets broken in it does get better. I would rather r have complete ignition on the rounds. One of my most fun revolvers to shoot.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, I know this is slightly OT for this thread, but file this under what is one of the main rounds that I'm likely to shoot in an LCRx in addition to CCI Stingers (or the new Stangers) and Velocitors.

I was up on the CCI site seeing what .22 LR ammo is even in their catalog right now -- even if there's nothing available now. Finding this just lit up my day. I carry ARX Inceptors in my 9mm. I've been hoping that ARX would develop a .22 LR round. But low and behold, CCI did it instead. Even better!

They call it Copper 22: a 21 gr copper polymer matrix hollowpoint clocking -- are you ready for this? -- 1850 fps. That's out of a long rifle barrel of course, but regardless ... zoom zoom!

Man, I can't wait to get my hands on some of these.

Reactions: TNMark

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I have a couple of the LCR’s. My little WMR had a 14lb trigger and I found it too heavy for the weight of the gun. I replaced the hammer spring down to around 9lb but it was light striking so at some point I’ll increase the spring and see what happens. :)

Reactions: mgriffin

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's an update on my post above about the CCI Copper 22 ammo. During dinner, I started watching reviews about it, and quickly realized it's been around for over 4 years, since 2016. 22Plinkster did a review about it then.

Has it been that long since I visited the CCI web site? I guess so. I've known for a long time that this rock I live under retards my wifi signal, so I guess I'm just behind the curve of information.

But I'm still eager to try some of it.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts