Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I’m limited by what’s in the store, so if no one carries that ammo it’s all a moot point.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
There are two other appealing factors for me about an LCRx in .22 LR.

First, the .22 LR version also fires shorts, unlike a semi-auto pistol or rifle.

Second, it has a twin brother in .38 spl +p. :cool:

I've owned revolvers in that round and liked them. But now, cartridges are being produced with 90 (Hornady) and 77 (ARX) gr bullets.

Again, zoom.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
There are two other appealing factors for me about an LCRx in .22 LR.

First, the .22 LR version also fires shorts, unlike a semi-auto pistol or rifle.

Second, it has a twin brother in .38 spl +p. :cool:

I've owned revolvers in that round and liked them. But now, cartridges are being produced with 90 (Hornady) and 77 (ARX) gr bullets.

Again, zoom.
Nothing wrong with the platform. :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Wait! Did my user name change? Why yes, it did.

Here's the story. And it's relevant to this thread.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
A day later. My mind tends to be non-linear: big shifts in thinking generated by small changes in my understanding, something that I perceived. That kind of thinking tends to cause big changes rapidly, changes that no one saw coming. They were hoping for status quo, business as usual, same as it ever was.

But after spending some time reading after dinner about the use of .38 spl, both its history and use for small game -- from squirrels to small deer -- and learning that a LOT of people have taken small game with .38 spl, I'm now thinking that may be a better choice for me in the LCRx is the .38 spl +p version.

The .22 LR version appeals because I like .22 so much. I mean, what's not to like about it? (Except it's unavailability right now.) But it's marginal at best for self-defense. At least with .38, I'd have SD with the potential for the occasional small animal for the camp pot.

I've owned .38 spl several times, and am comfortable shooting it. Even out of an airweight snub (SW 642; I called it "the little mule"; it wore full-sized, 3-finger Hogue Monogrips), I was good enough with double taps. Give me a 3" barrel on a 17 oz revolver, I think I could do alright.

And ARX Inceptor is doing interesting things with a .38 pushing a 77 gr polymer/copper bullet.

I think the platform has potential, even as much as I love .22,
and still intend to own an LCRx in it.

If only they were available now

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Jeff Quinn's review of the .38 version.

Reactions: Mr. Tettnanger

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok, just one more. I hate dead threads.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
A day later. My mind tends to be non-linear: big shifts in thinking generated by small changes in my understanding, something that I perceived. That kind of thinking tends to cause big changes rapidly, changes that no one saw coming. They were hoping for status quo, business as usual, same as it ever was.

But after spending some time reading after dinner about the use of .38 spl, both its history and use for small game -- from squirrels to small deer -- and learning that a LOT of people have taken small game with .38 spl, I'm now thinking that may be a better choice for me in the LCRx is the .38 spl +p version.

The .22 LR version appeals because I like .22 so much. I mean, what's not to like about it? (Except it's unavailability right now.) But it's marginal at best for self-defense. At least with .38, I'd have SD with the potential for the occasional small animal for the camp pot.

I've owned .38 spl several times, and am comfortable shooting it. Even out of an airweight snub (SW 642; I called it "the little mule"; it wore full-sized, 3-finger Hogue Monogrips), I was good enough with double taps. Give me a 3" barrel on a 17 oz revolver, I think I could do alright.

And ARX Inceptor is doing interesting things with a .38 pushing a 77 gr polymer/copper bullet.

I think the platform has potential, even as much as I love .22,
and still intend to own an LCRx in it.

If only they were available now

It’s my hiking kit gun, I replaced the hammer spring down to 7lb and it really balanced the trigger pull to gun weight ratio. This is the Dara Holster with a drop offset. It keeps the sweat off the gun. :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
DSP24, what's the ammo in your speed loader. Looks like snake shot. (?)

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
DSP24, what's the ammo in your speed loader. Looks like snake shot. (?)
Yes it is, Florida swamp trails have some rather formidable snakes. Most will run from ya but my BIL almost stepped on a 6’-7’ Eastern Diamondback while hunting so I carry a couple of different loads on the trail.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Got it. I understand.

I visited Florida for five months a few years ago during winter. I didn't like the snake contingent there. Rattlers, coppers, moccasins, and coral. I'm a biologist/ecologist by training and with a lot of outdoor experience, I know my snakes pretty well. After that trip, I confess that I couldn't wait to get back to Maine. We have a few snakes, but zero poisonous ones -- let alone the chiggers that were horrible there.

And the heat there. OMG. High 90's in December that year. I'll take subfreezing with snow anytime. :D

Our most dangerous animals here are moose and deer ticks (Lyme disease vectors). We have a ton of black bears, but no attacks on humans have been recorded here since the mid-1800's.

Reactions: Jack Ruger

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Yeah, they’ll leave you alone for the most part if you don’t mess with them but every now and again you’ll get one that has a little attitude. I’ve see pretty good size gators (10’-12’) blocking the path and there’s some pretty good size lynx or bobcats so there’s stuff out there that make ya realize you’re not at the apex. The heat and humidity was the reason for the kydex holster with the drop and offset, just keeps it away from a soaking wet shirt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just picked up this exact gun yesterday. I plan to take it to the range soon. I really got it for cheap practice at the range. I imagine this gun will end up being the one I put the most rounds through.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I went to the range this afternoon and put down 200 rounds with only 1 dud. I was impressed. It shot a bit high right out of the box, but once I adjusted the rear sight, it was spot on. I heard a lot of reports of a ridiculously heavy trigger, and while it is heavy, it didn’t feel any more so than other revolvers.

Two areas of improvement for Ruger. One, get rid of that transfer bar rattle. Maybe I’m simplifying things, but it almost seems like either a simple spring or dampener would solve that problem. I don’t buy that they can’t fix it. Most modern revolvers have transfer bars, and my j frame is dead silent. This isn’t an issue for my purposes since this is just a range toy though.

Second, this may sound weird, but they should finish the cylinder the same as the frame. The pvd cylinder looks so metallic that it makes the aluminum look like plastic in comparison. If they made it all the same finish, it would look like a completely metal gun, despite the composite portion. This isn’t a problem if you got the copper finish though.

Other than those suggestions, it feels like a solid, reliable gun that I’ll have lots of fun, cheap, shooting practice with. Since recoil isn’t a problem here, I plan to get some badger grips to give it a more upscale feeling than the rubber. The trouble is deciding what type of material for it!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
As I mentioned upstream in this thread (and some others), I've been wrestling with replacing my 10/22 with a .22 handgun as a kit gun. But this thread and others have more or less convinced me that's the wrong approach for me in this case. I've decided to go with an LCRx in .38 spl for the kit gun that will also be my EDC in town. I've pretty much also decided to keep the 10/22. I don't need to tote it to camp here except for a couple of months late in the year during small game seasons. I've met a new friend that has a lot of acres in his family very near where I live -- a short ATV ride -- and he's encouraging me to come up to hunt on his land; he's a big hunter himself, as are most of his family.

And last night, I took steps to seal my decision. Here's what I ordered for the 10/22. I've wanted one of them for at least a year. At first, I looked at colors OG and GG, but those aren't available right now for some reason. So I decided on Dark Tan; I think I like it even better than one of the greens. It'll fit into the woods nicely here, blending into the background while not disappearing due to the black stock on it now. (My barrel and receiver are black instead of stainless, and you have to imagine Tech Sights on it with a sling.)

Can you tell I like this rifle? This demonstrates an intention for a long term commitment to it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As I mentioned upstream in this thread (and some others), I've been wrestling with replacing my 10/22 with a .22 handgun as a kit gun. But this thread and others have more or less convinced me that's the wrong approach for me in this case. I've decided to go with an LCRx in .38 spl for the kit gun that will also be my EDC in town. I've pretty much also decided to keep the 10/22. I don't need to tote it to camp here except for a couple of months late in the year during small game seasons. I've met a new friend that has a lot of acres in his family very near where I live -- a short ATV ride -- and he's encouraging me to come up to hunt on his land; he's a big hunter himself, as are most of his family.

And last night, I took steps to seal my decision. Here's what I ordered for the 10/22. I've wanted one of them for at least a year. At first, I looked at colors OG and GG, but those aren't available right now for some reason. So I decided on Dark Tan; I think I like it even better than one of the greens. It'll fit into the woods nicely here, blending into the background while not disappearing due to the black stock on it now. (My barrel and receiver are black instead of stainless, and you have to imagine Tech Sights on it with a sling.)

Can you tell I like this rifle? This demonstrates an intention for a long term commitment to it.
Good plan. Can't really go wrong with a good
22lr rifle and .38 wheelgun. Sometimes, thats all a guy (or gal) needs.

What barrel length are you going with?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Not sure which gun you're asking about, so here's both.

I own the 10/22. It's a compact (with a full sized stock, to be replaced by the Hogue), so a 16" barrel.

The LCRx -- assuming I can find one while I'm still living -- is 3". Good carry size for a chest holster (Alien Gear).

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Here are a few thoughts about this project for a Tuesday evening after dinner course 1. (Course 2 will be the same -- seasoned hamburger with noodles adding brussel sprouts -- but I'm better off with small multiple meals rather than one big one. Reason has to do with physiology and health, but I'll spare you.)

Confession. Even though I'm not wavering a nanometer (nm) about my decision to keep the 10/22 -- that's a done deal -- and am not wavering on getting an LCRx (also a done deal), I am wavering on one detail: .22 LR or .38 spl for the LCRx?

Back and forth, tick, tock, pendulum swings 22, pendulum swings 38. There's a bunch of factors involved, not to be listed here ... at least tonight (dinner course #2 is soon followed by some Netflix). But I can make convincing arguments for both.

Of course, the best of all worlds might be one of each. Right. <joke> I'll just sell some stocks or one of my cars. </joke>

But the science guy in me smells an experiment coming with one of them. 🤓

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I guess for me it comes down to the self defense issue. Hunting a small animal with a rifle would probably be more humane at distance and a 22LR at close range might be insufficient for personal defense.

Reactions: Katahdin 22

·
Registered
49 Posts
Over sprung!!!! We sent my wife's .22 Mag LCR back to Ruger due to light primer strikes and exchanged it for a 327 LCR as it could not be repaired. Great CS and a great gun! She can handle the light recoil with .32 S&W Long ammunition and the .327 Mag loads feel, to me, like hot .38 +P out of a lightweight. I also shot .32 ACP without an issue. My next gun will be a stainless Single Seven in .327.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 75 Posts