Ruger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I say keep the 10/22 (as you plan to) and get the LCRx in .38. I think this combo will cover the vast majority of what anyone would need (with the exception of hunting larger game). The only caveat, while .38 does not have a tremendous amount of recoil, it could be an issue in a light weight gun. Especially if there are current or potentially future health concerns i.e., arthritis, grip strength, etc.

Personally, my favorite combo is a .22lr rifle and .38/.357 wheel gun. BUT, I do feel adequately capable and safe in all situations I find myself in (pleasure, pest control, small game hunting and self-defense) with only .22lr. I'm sure the day will come when .357 becomes too much, so I will ease up a bit to .38 only. And then I'm sure the day will come after that where I will have to ease up to just .22lr. I will be comfortable with that.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
This last set of posts -- like the ones before -- are thought-provoking in a good way. Thanks.

Still no decision over here, and it won't come soon. No need anyway until one or the other comes available. It's odd that that may make the decision for me, at least initially.

For the record, I'm confident that I can handle the recoil from .38 spl +p from an LCRx perfectly fine. I've shot lots of it in my former snubby with the same kind of Hogue grips on it, and did fine. Admittedly that was over ten years ago, but even now, I have zero issues with recoil from my 9. The issue there is I'm having a bit more trouble racking the slide -- which would be worse clearing a jam. That's one reason among several for jumping back to the wheel gun platform.

It's also cool and reassuring that if I do go with the .38 in an LCRx, if the time comes when recoil IS an issue, I can always drop down to the .22 version and still be on a very familiar platform.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Well, it's a banner day. (April 7, 2020). On the same day -- today -- I (finally!) got my $1400 rescue check (now starting to order needed gear for studio and camp, including a BX-15 for the 10/22), my second covid vaccine shot (Moderna), and my new spiffy extra tall airbed** with a built in fast pump for sleeping in my apartment. (Inflated it about an hour ago. The manufacturer says it'll take a day or so to stretch, then adjust air to desired level <-- one of the great benefits of air mattresses. So far, it's beating my previous mattress by a mile or so. ** Yes, the model came with it, but she said she can only stay one night.)

But I digress. Perhaps this part is good news #4, and the most relevant to this thread. I've watched an 8 min review of the LCRx .22 twice -- actually watching it again, now, with a late lunch. I'll post the video a bit later because I think it's one of the best videos I've seen on the .22 version. Professionally done, both desktop and range components. He raves about it. Shot an entire brick of ammo in an hour with zero failures. Zero. Zip. Nada. (I think we can all agree that's important for any consideration of using .22 for SD.). The trigger -- both DA and SA -- in his view is about as good as it gets. Etc.

The only small negative for him? No speed loader. That was a bit of concern for me, also. The thought of having to put in 8 of those little cartridges every time one at a time, especially when there's a need to be quick about it, didn't appeal.

But wait: his video was produced in 2017. So I went to the Ruger accessories page, and found this. Bingo. This puts it a step closer to the .38 version for me. Another smile for the day.

Reactions: mark40

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
We've had the 5-Star Speed Loader pictured for a number of years, works great. That and a Tuff speed strip go along with the 3" LCRx we have.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
As I posted upstream, for the last weeks, it's been .22, .38, .22, 38, .22 ... Back and forth. Vascilation.

Right now, it's back to .38. Why? I'm watching an original on Amazon Prime called No Go Zone. It's a documentary (reality show?) recorded -- complete with "interviews" -- in some of the most dangerous neighborhoods on Earth. Tonight, I'm up to episode 4 of season 1: the Santa Fe zone in Bogata Columbia. I recommend that newbies to the series start there -- it gets more real -- then go back to earlier episodes for the background.

I've tried to find a trailer, but it doesn't really exist; only spoofs, it seems. I'll review the series in my Movies thread, instead of here. Suffice to say, watching the first four episodes makes me want to keep the 10/22 -- again, that's a done deal (ordered new stuff for it today) -- and add the .38 wheel gun ... with speed loaders. Even here in eastern Maine. Even though the possibilities of some of those gang members coming here is low, it could happen. (Lots of migrants around here.)

If it was just squirrels and grouse around, I'd prefer the .22. But with that kind of darkness, even in the woods, probably not.

We'll see.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Even though I'm not wavering a nanometer (nm) about my decision to keep the 10/22 -- that's a done deal -- and am not wavering on getting an LCRx (also a done deal), I am wavering on one detail: .22 LR or .38 spl for the LCRx?
my two cents’ worth of advice: since you kept the 10/22 (smart move, a 22lr rifle should be everyman’s standard issue) and you already have a centerfire semiauto pistol for protection, i would get the lcr in 22lr for ammo standardization and overall use as a woods companion, plinker, target of opportunity, emergency signaling device and even a dissuader if faced with feral or rabid, bipeds or dogs. 50 rounds of 22lr ammo is alot easier to lug around than 50 rounds of 38sp.

i love my ruger lcr 22lr snubbie, it’s a often ccw that is suitable for my needs. the longer barreled, hammered, lcr-x, wasn’t on the market when i got my lcr, and i would get the lcr-x if starting out now.

A8AD2FF0-CE6C-432A-89E2-B8069BFCDDA2.jpeg

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
my two cents’ worth of advice: since you kept the 10/22 (smart move, a 22lr rifle should be everyman’s standard issue) and you already have a centerfire semiauto pistol for protection, i would get ... <snip>
Jstert, I understand your reasoning, and think it's good -- except that my centerfire pistol -- the EC9s -- is not working well for me now. I like the pistol, and have no issue with the recoil, but with aging, I'm having increasing challenges racking the slide. I do exercises for my hands -- including practicing racking with an empty pistol -- but even now, clearing a jam (beyond just loading it) would be slow and cumbersome -- which of course isn't good if needed for an emergency social interaction. That's really what motivated this whole decision process for me.

So going with a revolver eliminates that entirely. Sure, less rounds -- 5 (or 8 .22) vs 10, and slower reloads -- but I'm not going to war with it, and given where I live, I feel less necessity for high round count.

This morning, I awoke still thinking .38 for the revolver, for my 10/22's companion. (That documentary really has me thinking, though I don't know if it's entirely rational thinking.)

PS: added by edit quite a while later. Just for a complete record here, I also cannot afford to own two handguns right now. In the best of all worlds, I'd own the 10/22 plus LCRx in both .22 and .38. But I don't live in the best of all worlds, so I must choose.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I'd say that you shouldn't rule out getting your revolver in .357 mag if that becomes available first. I am not a big fan of .357 (much rather shoot 44 and 45, not necessarily magnums) but it will shoot anything that the .38 Special can and has the 'more power' option should it ever become needed. While a huge fan of .22 rimfire in all forms I don't think that it has much advantage for a 'kit gun' over light wad-cutter target loads except if ammo prices return toward 'normal'. While I load my own (and haven't looked for any in some time), it used to be quite common to find the light target loads in most gun shops. I would consider it boring to limit choices but since I am not really a hunter anymore, a good .22 rifle and a centerfire revolver could be all that I need.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I was in that no-go zone a few years ago and was attacked seconds after taking this image. The .22LR is fine but when faced with reality I really don’t want to drop a whole cylinder into one target when multiple threats exist.

Reactions: Katahdin 22

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
DSP, yikes! I can tell from signage that's somewhere in Latin America. I traveled in southern Mexico twice in the 70's in my capacity as a biology student -- long field trips to study tropical biology and ecology -- and even then, I felt unsafe several times. I can't even imagine it now.

For you as a photojournalist, I can imagine that wasn't a vacation, but you were there for professional reasons. But for me anymore, one of my top rules for living to an older age with body parts intact is, stay out of no go zones.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I'd say that you shouldn't rule out getting your revolver in .357 mag if that becomes available first. I am not a big fan of .357 (much rather shoot 44 and 45, not necessarily magnums) but it will shoot anything that the .38 Special can and has the 'more power' option should it ever become needed.
Bruce, I totally hear you. I've owned two handguns in the past that were .357 mag for the same reason -- I don't need it, but nice to know it's there if I should.

However, I don't think I'd want .357 mag in an LCRx. They'd have to leave too much metal on it for the heavier rounds making it substantially heavier. A BIG part of the appeal of the LCRx in .38 (or .22) is the light weight -- only about a pound. I've sold fine 23 oz handguns that I loved and shot well just because I didn't want to lug that weight round. If I was 250 lbs and in great shape, it might be different. But I'm not.

And I think the .38 spl +p rnds are all I'm gonna need. If not, then I was in the wrong kind of neighborhood 😳 -- which don't exist over here (at least the same kind being portrayed in that documentary) ... at least yet, so ...

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Yeah I was on assignment in Bogota for a faith based mission org. Our taxi driver misunderstood what we were looking for and took us into the no-go zone. My internal radar was pinging hard as the threat increased, we made it out but had to replace every window in the taxi..

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Wow.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Had to fight off a guy climbing into my door, lucky the cinder block that came through the back window startled him enough for me to shove him out as the driver popped the clutch.

·
Registered
112 Posts
hi katahdin 22, i’m right there you with on aging issues and handgun choices. hence my ruger lcr 22lr is an often-ccw. i had (emphasize had) a ruger lcr 38sp: it is no friend to aging hands or the recoil averse, please try one before you commit. even if you like a lightweight snubbie now, it will require soft shooting wadcutter ammo, which is hard to find in normal times, and our hands don’t improve with age. i’m not a deer or duck or anything hunter, i don’t frequent apex predator zones and i know the new england outdoors well enough. if i had a ruger 10/22 rifle and a ruger lcr-x, both chambered in 22lr, my humble needs would be served well enough.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
@DSP24 , later today or tomorrow, I'm going to post a comment in my/our movies thread about the No Go Zones. I can't post a trailer yet -- can't find one that isn't some kind of weird spoof, or something else animated with the same name. But I can post a verbal description based on what I'm seeing so far, and how it's affecting me. I think it should be required viewing by all adults in the US. It's not entertainment; at least not in my book. It's education ... of sorts, a wake up call to people who still think of places like Bogota in more romantic terms, as places to visit for vacation. It's also a peek into a component that could -- I stress could, not will -- evolve in the US -- especially since some of the gangs in the documentary have expressed a desire to expand into the US.

I'll "tag" you in that post since you've had direct experience there -- albeit short-lived (thankfully).

And of course, once again, to stay on topic, that series is motivating me to lean towards .38 spl in my LCRx.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Jsterts, excellent points all. Thanks for offering them. We older guys can understand things about why this whole caliber issue is relevant to us that younger posters don't, so I appreciate your insights.

And I'll confess this: the greatest appeal of adding the LCRx .22 to my kit with the 10/22 is to test out all that .22 ammo** in both guns. Which works best for what in which gun? Which works well for both? (** Maybe "all that ammo" will be available again in my lifetime.)

I mean, what better means for me to live up to my (newly revised) user name than a kit entirely of .22 LR. <joke> I mean, I could become an older version of 22Plinkster. </joke>
hi katahdin 22, i’m right there you with on aging issues and handgun choices. hence my ruger lcr 22lr is an often-ccw. i had (emphasize had) a ruger lcr 38sp: it is no friend to aging hands or the recoil averse, please try one before you commit. even if you like a lightweight snubbie now, it will require soft shooting wadcutter ammo, which is hard to find in normal times, and our hands don’t improve with age. i’m not a deer or duck or anything hunter, i don’t frequent apex predator zones and i know the new england outdoors well enough. if i had a ruger 10/22 rifle and a ruger lcr-x, both chambered in 22lr, my humble needs would be served well enough.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
@DSP24 , later today or tomorrow, I'm going to post a comment in my/our movies thread about the No Go Zones. I can't post a trailer yet -- can't find one that isn't some kind of weird spoof, or something else animated with the same name. But I can post a verbal description based on what I'm seeing so far, and how it's affecting me. I think it should be required viewing by all adults in the US. It's not entertainment; at least not in my book. It's education ... of sorts, a wake up call to people who still think of places like Bogota in more romantic terms, as places to visit for vacation. It's also a peek into a component that could -- I stress could, not will -- evolve in the US -- especially since some of the gangs in the documentary have expressed a desire to expand into the US.

I'll "tag" you in that post since you've had direct experience there -- albeit short-lived (thankfully).

And of course, once again, to stay on topic, that series is motivating me to lean towards .38 spl in my LCRx.
My daughter and I missed the shooting in the El Paso Wal-Mart by 24hrs so my ever expanding near misses had me reassessing my EDC as well. These “autonomous zones” are creating an emerging situation so for me the 38 is a little more..productive than the .22LR. Not saying the 22LR wouldn’t be productive if ordinance was placed on the objective, it’s all destructive but the proper placement under duress becomes critical. My new EDC is a little more ominous these days... :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
The answer is easy. Get the one you can find today, and then get the other one when it becomes available🙂

One of my carry guns is a 357 j frame, but I got the lcrx in 22lr for cheap practice and range shooting. Different tools for different jobs. Not saying that a 22 can’t be used for defense, but I’d rather take 5 shots of 38 or 357 in that situation.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the LCR in 22lr and 38 spl. The trigger on the 22 is definitely heavier. The 38 is a handful with heavy loads so I carry 148 grain wadcutters. Check out tests before you snark. Expansion in the short barrel is iffy. The 3" does much better. I keep Velocitors (don't expect them to expand) or Aguila Interceptors in the 22 LCR. If I want heavier I carry the SP101 of which I have a 2" and a 3" in 357. I am looking for the LCRX in 22lr and 38 spl. They are much lighter than the SP101's.
Side note: I was shooting the LCR 22lr with Blazers and was having a hard time extracting.o_O Switched to copper washed and no problem. Tried some Aguila 40 grain lead and same problem. I will only shoot the copper washed anymore. I need to try some polymer.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts