Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.............after getting 3 boxes of different brand .308 ammo I was amazed but understood why I got a 1.5 inch group. .015" difference in OAL!!!! .016 difference in case length! Come on, they should do better than that. But I guess that's why I reload.

·
Banned
367 Posts
Acceptable case length is a range, not a single number.
OAL will also change with different bullets, due to different ogives.

If you want something with accuracy for YOUR gun, you gotta load it for YOUR gun; that's why we reload. Mass produced ammo is meant to be able to function in the 80 trillion different rifles chambered for it. Not to be magic in all of those different rifles.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I used to reload .222 and .308 for benchrest comp. It just about made me crazy. Had RCBS cut dies specifically for those two guns chambers. Marked the brass so I would load it in the same position every time. Weighed the cases, weighed the bullets. Started to feel like Monk on TV. It all got to be too anal for me. Sold the Remingtons, bought a Perazzi and took up ATA trap shooting.I was free again to enjoy shooting.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I reload and bench rest too see what the weapon is capeable of. And to get the most accurate round. After that the weapon rarely sees the bench again.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I used to reload .222 and .308 for benchrest comp. It just about made me crazy. Had RCBS cut dies specifically for those two guns chambers. Marked the brass so I would load it in the same position every time. Weighed the cases, weighed the bullets. Started to feel like Monk on TV. It all got to be too anal for me. Sold the Remingtons, bought a Perazzi and took up ATA trap shooting.I was free again to enjoy shooting.
In the mid '80s, I was the same way with a couple of race guns I owned. After a while I realized I was supporting them and not the other way 'round. I sold them and went to strictly stock gun competitions. Never looked back and I had just as much fun with a true combat weapon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts