Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and here are the results, pics are not the best yet i need daylight to get a good macro pic but heres a sample of an AR grip i had laying around.

so this was my first try at it, the grip had some angles, round and flat surfaces it was a good practice piece, took me about 35 minutes to do the front section.

tools, 30 watt soldering iron with the tip turned down to a finer point, and a board to sit across my legs and some bright light.

perfect no, but its stippling its not supposed to look perfect but i did manage to avoid any large gouges and scraps while using th iron, and if your careful you can fix any small mishaps anyways.

the end goal is to do this to the front and backstrap of my xd subcompact carry gun. if your hands get sweaty its nice to have a more positive grip area.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Hey Creepy looks like you done a real fine job on them grips. I seen somewhere on the web where there was some outfit offering a packet of different tips for that. They fit right on your soldering gun. I just can't remember right now. Anyway that's a good job there. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Those look good. I don't know if I would have the courage to try that or not.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its allot like holding onto some medium/fine grit sandpaper, i would guess that if you took a bit of fine grit paper to it it would be pretty smooth but still nonslip.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, i did it here it is, im very happy with the results and feel, it was pretty rough at first but i ran the flat of the iron over the top of the stippling quickly and it smoothed it out nicely.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Looks really good - nice job!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol, at first i thought ya said patience office cause it takes allot.

i borrowed the idea from another guy lol, im sure its done lots.
what i would like to do it find or make a bit for my iron that has 2 or 3 teeth to speed the process up a bit maybe.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
That is a great job, creepyrat. I have been playing around with different grips for my XD45 Tactical. I don't like how the slip-on's seem to move around. I've tried rubber bands, Bicycle inner-tubes & a few other things. I put some Decal Grips on it a couple of weeks ago. I haven't had much chance to use the pistol with them yet, but they don't feel too bad. I like how the stippling looks & I would kinda' like to know what you think of it after a few trips to the range. So far, the things I have tried haven't been what I want. If that works good for you, I might just give it a go myself!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have tried the slipons and didnt like how fat it made the grip, used grip tape but i didnt want to try and keep that stuck on over the old checkering so stippling it was lol.

sofar i have only fired a few rounds from the gun but i have been practacing my draws and it deffinatly has a more positive grip but non abrasive to the holster or body, i did smooth them a bit so they dont rip up your hands with allot of use.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have seen folks use the tape that is placed on stair steps to prevent slippage also. I tried it and it is abrasive though, it did the job but it wore the skin off my hand after about a hundred rounds. [}:)]

·
Registered
557 Posts
quote:Originally posted by STINGER

I have seen folks use the tape that is placed on stair steps to prevent slippage also. I tried it and it is abrasive though, it did the job but it wore the skin off my hand after about a hundred rounds. [}:)]
Skateboard tape works well too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have use tape in the past but it wouldnt stick in the small areas i wanded it on the xd unless i smoothed the checkering first, so i just stippled lol.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok, range report time, fired 60 rounds of wwwb, most of it was draw fire 2 rounds reholster, draw ect. i hit the stippling just a bit with an emmory board before i went out no excess wear and tear on my hands no scratches no pain. the gun didnt slip the slightest like it used to when i would shoot.

target was a pizza box propped up 7 yards away in a foot of snow lol.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Good job there Creepy. Now we know what to expect if we tried that ourselfs. Sounds like the job was well worth it. Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts