Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a bersa 380 and with 3 different makes of ammo it still stove pipes, so tell me what I can get more reliable, I had a bersa 380 bought in 1992 and had no problems at all, the new bursa thunder sucks, i need help for a reliable semi. Ron.

·
Exchequer
5,268 Posts
i have a bersa 380 and with 3 different makes of ammo it still stove pipes, so tell me what I can get more reliable, I had a bersa 380 bought in 1992 and had no problems at all, the new bursa thunder sucks, i need help for a reliable semi. Ron.
I've had similar issues with my Bersa BP9C. It seems to prefer ball ammo versus hollow point. But, I've not yet gotten around to putting more than maybe 50 rounds through it. That said, I don't use it for daily carry as I cannot trust it to function properly should I ever need it for SD. As for suggestions on a reliable semi-auto pistol, maybe look at the S&W Shield or Springfield XD compact single stack?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Generally- the mis-feed issue is not the gun. However- it can be?

You say 3 different brands of ammo- what brands are they?
Do you have more than 1 mag? If so- do you have the feed issue with both mags or all of them? Are they Bersa brand mags or MecGar or Promag? Promags are commonly problematic in Bersa Pistols.

Usually feed issues rest right there- either incompatible ammo or faulty mag.

I have 3 Bersa pistols- a Plus, a standard BT380, and a CC. Between them all- out of 1421 rounds fired- I have had 38 mis- feeds. Everyone of them involved either:
Promag
Tula Steel cased ammo
Fiocchi
Winchester flat nose

I have shot Gecco, Remington, Freedom Munitions, Federal, Blazer, Independance- without issue.

Bottom line here- it is almost always going to be either 1)bad ammo or a 2)bad magazine. If you are using only Bersa mags?- then one may have a weak spring or a bad follower.
If you have more than one mag?- permanently label them so they can be identified. When you have an issue- note which mag and what ammo. Eventually you will see most if not all the issues are with one of the mags or the same ammo.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Do you want it in .380 and reliable? Or just a semi auto?
Either one, 30 years of running an open slide 92 series beretta has taught me it is a good design with intrinsic reliability. What you sacrifice is potential hot barrel exposure (never yet happened to me) and maybe ..... slide "real estate". But if I has my 92, and ammuninition, its going to go bang.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ruger Security 9 Compact is the winner you're looking for.
View attachment 176629
Good luck - keep shooting.
I've never seen one of these in person.
Is it small enough for pocket carry? With the caveat that I only own and wear jeans?
Right now my pocket carries are an LCP2, a .357 mag snubnose, a .38 Special snub.
Revolvers are great, but a magazine fed pistol is quicker on the reload.
What is the usual retail price?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
This post kind of threw me off, posted in the Ruger DA revolver section but is about .380 semi-autos ?
Just get a Sig or Glock. If we were to move up to 9mm, I'd expand that to the Hellcat and Shield.

·
Registered
Ruger Shooter
355 Posts
I've never seen one of these in person.
Is it small enough for pocket carry? With the caveat that I only own and wear jeans?
Right now my pocket carries are an LCP2, a .357 mag snubnose, a .38 Special snub.
Revolvers are great, but a magazine fed pistol is quicker on the reload.
What is the usual retail price?
Ruger Security 9C: I wouldn't recommend pocket carry. I think retail is around $550-$600, but don't quote me as I got mine used for $300 with two mags and a Bulldog canvas holster. I've since got the much nicer De Santis leather holster with matching mag case and gave the canvas holster to my SR22.

I just picked up the LCR for my true pocket carry.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts