Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
RUGER
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went for a Walk in the Woods Today with my 50th Anniversary Mdl. Ruger 10 /22 and Scored a 50 Pound Sow Feral Hog with a Head shot at 50 yards.

The CCI Velocitor 40 grain copper plated Hollow Points at 1435 FPS shoots one hole all three rounds touching the same hole this Ruger 10 /22 Rifle
is a tack driver with the Primary 1x4 power Scope at 50 and 100 yards.

These Pigs were hanging around the water hole yesterday so I decided to take a walk down to the water hole Today and I ran out 2 Red & Black Shoats Feral Hogs One Boar & One Sow I took aim at the Sow from 50 yards and I put a CCI Velocitor 40 grain copper plated Hollow Point 1435 FPS between Her eyes the boar ran back into the thicket . The CCI Velocitor is my favorite .22 LR ammo , But I also favor the Browning & Winchester of the same exact loading ,all three have a Velocity of 1435 FPS these three Loadings I found to be the Fastest 40 grain Copper Plated Hollow Points on the Market they hit very hard and penetrate very deep and leave a Nice big wound channel .

This Little Sow became 25 Pounds of Southern Mild sweet Sausage this has been Donated to a Needy Man Locally .

I have killed well over 150 Hogs since last August of 2020 with my Ruger 10 /22 Rifle some tipping the scale at well over 400 pounds .

This is what became of the Last two Sow Feral Pigs we ate them for Easter Dinner I must say the hickory smoked Ribs Racks were good .

Look for me to Kill Some Hogs this summer with my Benjamin Bull Dog .357 Air Rifle it shoots a 160 grain powder coated cast lead bullet at 975 FPS .
This Air Rifle and the Sight Mark Wraith Digital Day / Night scope will be Silent and Deadly on Feral Hogs & Coyotes out to 90 Yards from atop my 25' Ladder stand 90 yards from the Bait Pile or decoy .

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wow, that looks great. It is nice to see that some of us are back to our old life. This COVID situation really put a lot in rocky waters.

·
Registered
RUGER
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What a great use of your 10/22! That little sow looks very tasty.
I use a .22 LR because many people think a .22 LR won't stop or kill People or Large Game I have put down Wild Hogs well over 400 pounds with a single shot one shot stop .If it can do that to a wild beast of that size , it can do it to a two legged beast also.

·
Registered
RUGER
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Best 10/22 ever made.
I agree the Ruger is one of the best .22 Rifles one the market , I've had one since 1964 when they first hit the market , not the most accurate but one of the most popular .

·
Registered
RUGER
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Love your 10/22!
Thank You JARHEAD127 I own two of them here they both are : SIMPER FIDELIS Brother !

This Ruger 10 /22 sports a FAB DEFENSE STOCK , Ruger BX Trigger , 18.5 " ER SHAW Factory Taper Barrel 1:16 twist SightMark Wraith Digital Day / Night
vision scope .I have taken over 100 Hogs with this 10 /22 Rifle at night at 50 -75 yards from a bait pile from atop a 25' Ladder Stand . I pour the sour mash corn out
in a line so when the hogs line up to eat I am flanking them makes for easy Head Shots.

I use my 50th Anniversary Ruger Rifle mostly during when I go to change out my Trail Camera SD Cards and check my snare traps But I have used it at night
to Kill Hogs also at the feeder that has a motion activated green light on it my scope has a fire dot in the center of the cross hair i can see the hogs head and put
the dot just below its ear and take the shot . These Rifles have never failed me and are extremely accurate at 50 & 100 Yards I keep a group that is sub MOA.

·
Registered
RUGER
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, that looks great. It is nice to see that some of us are back to our old life. This COVID situation really put a lot in rocky waters.
COVID never slowed me down I had a mild case tested positive ,I have since been vaccinated For it .but it never slowed me down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We don't have wild hogs in the part of the country I live in for the most part, and I know that's a good thing from the perspective of the being considered pests/damaging to crops. But I have to say it would be kind of fun ( and apparently very tasty ) to be able to go out and shoot some throughout the year. About the only thing you can realistically find outside of dear season here is squirrels and rabbits, and they are definitely not as good on the grill ;-)

Can you hunt them year round where you live?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sounds like a nice shooting rifle. I'm sure every hog you shoot is a service to the area you live in. The BBQ looks good! Only varmits around s cen Va are coyotes, but as many as there are, hard to get a shot at one. At least what you shoot at is good to eat!

·
Registered
RUGER
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We don't have wild hogs in the part of the country I live in for the most part, and I know that's a good thing from the perspective of the being considered pests/damaging to crops. But I have to say it would be kind of fun ( and apparently very tasty ) to be able to go out and shoot some throughout the year. About the only thing you can realistically find outside of dear season here is squirrels and rabbits, and they are definitely not as good on the grill ;-)

Can you hunt them year round where you live?
All Year round 24 / 7 / 365 no limits I am on a depredation contract to wipe the population on the property out Since August 2020 I have killed over 300 Hogs on two separate contracts . I also travel to other states to contract my crop protection & ERADICATION services for Coyotes, Hog's ,Deer , Python Snakes , Iguana lizards, snake head fish , Removal of other Dangerous reptiles & animals under DNR depredation law.

·
Registered
RUGER
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like a nice shooting rifle. I'm sure every hog you shoot is a service to the area you live in. The BBQ looks good! Only varmits around s cen Va are coyotes, but as many as there are, hard to get a shot at one. At least what you shoot at is good to eat!
I have donate over 2,000 Pounds of processed (Feral Hog ) Pork meat to local food banks to feed the needy . The Hogs are migrating up North from Texas they have been found in Upstate New York and as far north as Canada. These are not pink skin pigs these Hogs have a coat of hair like a bear has.The Coyotes are left for the Buzzards and crows worms to eat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts