Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as I wanted a 9mm as a car and/or back gun so I thought I would browse around the shop and put one on hold. The going price in Connecticut for a used P-series is $329.00+.

In the case with box and 2mags and fobus holster was a April 2007 production year Smith & Wesson Sigma in 9mm for $229 and I got it for $212 OTD.

I couldn't help myself. The gun is 9 months from production very slightly used. I brought it home and cleaned it up. It seems like someone shot it without cleaning it and just left it dirty.

I have cleaned it up and will be taking it to the range today. At least it is an American. I almost in my quest for a 9mm went with a CZ82 but when I saw it in the flesh that was enough for me.

An SKS is the only gun that I own that is not made in the USA.

·
Registered
336 Posts
That's amazing. I've seen NIB P95's for under $300.00 and really nice used ones in the $250.00 range in Florida. Are the Rugers in short supply up there? Too bad you didn't find a nice P95DC, they are a fine weapon (I'm biased, I own 2 of them).

·
Registered
373 Posts
i had a sigma 9mm, the only draw back to the gun was the super heavy trigger. i actually got rid of it for my sp101. But would jump on one again for the price you paid.

·
Registered
288 Posts
i had a sigma 9mm, the only draw back to the gun was the super heavy trigger. i actually got rid of it for my sp101. But would jump on one again for the price you paid.
I think S&W was remarkably STUPID to put those horrendously heavy triggers on the Sigmas. The Sigma is world class pistol in terms of materials, heat treatment, tolerances, fit and finish. It is a low/moderately priced gun, not a cheap gun by any means.
Many first time handgun purchasers bought Sigmas because of the low price.......probably mostly in 9mm since they cost less to shoot. Since many are first time shooters they will have the natural difficulty most new, unpracticed shooters experience. The triggers are so terrible that many of these new shooters will experience awful accuracy and think that S&W makes a lousy pistol that can't even hit the paper.........THEIR FIRST EXPERIENCE WITH S&W WILL BE A BAD ONE. S&W marketing people: What were you thinking? You do want repeat customers don't you? Sorry.....the Ruger 9s are better.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I think S&W was remarkably STUPID to put those horrendously heavy triggers on the Sigmas. The Sigma is world class pistol in terms of materials, heat treatment, tolerances, fit and finish. It is a low/moderately priced gun, not a cheap gun by any means.
Many first time handgun purchasers bought Sigmas because of the low price.......probably mostly in 9mm since they cost less to shoot. Since many are first time shooters they will have the natural difficulty most new, unpracticed shooters experience. The triggers are so terrible that many of these new shooters will experience awful accuracy and think that S&W makes a lousy pistol that can't even hit the paper.........THEIR FIRST EXPERIENCE WITH S&W WILL BE A BAD ONE. S&W marketing people: What were you thinking? You do want repeat customers don't you? Sorry.....the Ruger 9s are better.
Well.........that's sad to hear. A guy at work bought a Sigma the other day. It's his first ever firearm. I hope it dosen't ruin him on guns in general. Maybe we better figgure out how to fix that trigger problem.
Any Ideas?

·
Super Moderator
21,714 Posts
Wholesale for NIB is $278 plus shipping so they should be able to get lower than $329 for used.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The price for a NIB p95 here in SW Pennsylvania is $283.95. What gives up there anyway? In case you're interested, here's the link:
http://www.davidsonsinc.com/consume...ded=&youth=&Offset_rec=0&num_rec=50&item_num=
As far as Smith goes, I have a 439 that I bought new when they first came out – can't remember exactly when, I think it was in '84 – anyways, it has been reliable from day one. Maybe someone here could help him out with the trigger or know where to point him.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took it to the range Yesterday and Today....

The trigger is no joke it is a hard pull. The gun itself is okay, the trigger forces you to really focus and concentrate on your marksmanship. After shooting this gun, then going to my Rugers I am becoming a real pistolero.

I noticed an immediate increase in my marksmanship with my P90. If this gun has a redeeming quality it is its heavy trigger. I purchased it merely to be a range training gun because .45ACP is just too expensive to shoot as much as I like. I like to shoot at least 200 centerfire pistol rounds per range trip.

The .45 ammo has increased in cost about 35% since Jan 1. I was getting S&B 230grn FMJ's for target practice at $12.99/box of 50, now that costs $17.99.
So I purchased the little 9mm.

Not a great gun, but a good little trainer. It has made me fall in love with my p90 all over again.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The trigger is no joke it is a hard pull.
Peace, if the gun is nearly NIB, then the trigger will be pretty hard. Alot of dry-firing and range time will help with that. I have 1,500+ through my 9VE and the trigger is about the same as the double-action pull on my SP101. It is plenty accurate for SD, and at <$300 NIB, no big loss if I have to use it and them turn it over to the LEOs.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Peace, if the gun is nearly NIB, then the trigger will be pretty hard. Alot of dry-firing and range time will help with that. I have 1,500+ through my 9VE and the trigger is about the same as the double-action pull on my SP101. It is plenty accurate for SD, and at <$300 NIB, no big loss if I have to use it and them turn it over to the LEOs.
+1 what THUNDERHAWK said.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts