Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would give any newbies a heads up and tell them to invest in a Franklin Arsenal impact bullet puller. This little tool works wonders! I never thought I would need a bullet puller...never say never!
I was looking into getting into SASS and studied lead bullets for some time. I loaded up I would say 1000 rounds of semi wadcutter SNS and MBC bullets and to be honest they lead up my barrels.
I'm not having any time to shoot SASS so I decided to pull all those bullets and change to something a bit cleaner like Xtreme Bullet copper plated bullets. They are MUCH cleaner and I don't spend two hours after every range trip cleaning lead out of my barrels. I'll try my hand at shooting lead later....for now the plated bullets are awesome.
Anyway, the bullet puller works like a charm albeit it goes pretty slow, but at least I'll be able to reuse all my components.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have a Franklin Arsenal impact bullet puller that I have literally beat to death and it's still going strong.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Yes, they are wonderful tools; I have my own home-made one.
However, perhaps your barrels lead up because you're driving the lead slugs too fast? Ever try gas-checks?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, they are wonderful tools; I have my own home-made one.
However, perhaps your barrels lead up because you're driving the lead slugs too fast? Ever try gas-checks?
Not sure....I've done a bunch of research and thought I had a pretty good handle on matching my bullet diameters to my throats, hardness of bullets, and appropriate powder selection and charge, but still seem to be having issues. I first thought I may be loading too light and tried going up, but still have some issues. I'll need to slug my bores and try to regroup at a later time. I was only shooting lead because of my interest in SASS. For now I'm sticking with the plated bullets.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Yes great idea and suggestion for the bullet puller. My story- I was reloading some .45acp recently and when I seated the bullets several of them went WAY too far into the shell casing. WHY they did that when all the others did not is worthy of a thread in itself. Anyhoo, I got out the old pliers and removed the bullets adding them to the trash can. It was only 5 so no big deal. It was then I decided one day that I would order a bullet puller. Next I saw this thread and went ahead and ordered the Franklin Arsenal bullet puller. May never have to use it ever but it will be good to have. Thanks.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have been reloading over 50 years and never had one. Needed one several times just never have thought to get one. Needed one just last week in fact. I will have to put this on my get list.

·
Registered
803 Posts
What type of bullets did you load. If they are bevel based I think they require enough powder to make the base expand or they lead a lot. I just dealt with this shooting bevel base bullets in a 44 magnum. When I bumped up the powder charge the leading all but is eliminated. When I finish with this batch of bevel base bullets I am done for good. I have even considered melting them down and recasting them in my flat based molds. I have a lot of these things left that I bought years ago.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Here's a tip for using those, the Lyman (and other) shell holders work to hold the cartridge, and they are a lot faster than the little rubberband thingy that comes with the tool.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What type of bullets did you load. If they are bevel based I think they require enough powder to make the base expand or they lead a lot. I just dealt with this shooting bevel base bullets in a 44 magnum. When I bumped up the powder charge the leading all but is eliminated. When I finish with this batch of bevel base bullets I am done for good. I have even considered melting them down and recasting them in my flat based molds. I have a lot of these things left that I bought years ago.
It's do believe both batches I tried were bevel based. Interesting suggestions. I'll take another look. I may be a little OCD about the leading too. I'm assuming there's going to be some lead no matter what, but mine seems a bit excessive. I'll have to work on it somega more.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've had mine since the early '90's. It's not a Franklin Arsenal or Lyman, but a Quinetics Corp brand out of San Antonio.

It doesn't get used a lot, but does every now and then and am thankful I have it. Actually used it twice two days ago..lol

·
Registered
121 Posts
I used it to pull 200 .454 bullets from a light Casull load. Learned a valuable lesson to load a test batch first before going crazy with a new load. Turned out to be a squib load.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Beartooth

The puller is right up there with the stuck case removal tool. If I wasn't such a Dumb A** I guess I would never need either.

As for the barrel leading. It shouns like you know what your are doing, but take a look at Beartooth Bullets > Home

There is a wealth of information on shooting lead bullets on this site. Their booklet is well worth the cost and helped me understand why some guns lead up and others don't.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I've got an RCBS Kinetic Bullet Puller that I've had for well over 25 years, and it is still going strong, especially when I'm reloading on my Progressive press and it will some how put a primer in upside down.:(

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've got an RCBS Kinetic Bullet Puller that I've had for well over 25 years, and it is still going strong,

I have the same one and I've had mine for 35 years. Both of my sons reload so they can fight over it when I'm gone, LOL :cool:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts