Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about some ideas for 117 grain and 100 grain rounds. This is an
ultra lite, the barrel is what, 2 inches shorter than a standard rifle?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
never loaded for that one. I've known a few reloaders that had one and they were hell bent to to push a 100 gr bullet as fast as they could and try to turn it into a 25-06. Seems like a few of them also went to the ackley improved version in a quest for more speed.

years upon years back, one old gentleman that i greatly respect told me that old 117gr rn was almost like magic on knocking deer down and he would never try anything else. When i questioned him on velocity, he told me it didn't matter and if he wanted fast he would have got a 25-06. I wasn't about to say anything else from the number of trophy mounts he had.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been shooting factory 117s with great success, but all i've reloaded is some 100s with so-so success as far as accuracy goes...I'm not looking for speed, just some good loads. This rifle will be either deer or coyotes,,,I hate coyotes...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have reloaded the bob for a few years now in a similar ultra lite. My favorite loads are 42grns h4350 and 117 seirra for about 2800 in my 20' barrel. Its a warm load but is safe in my rifle. Mine also loved 100 nbt and 46grns of h4350. For the yotes I use 75grn v-max and h4895, I wont list the powder charge because I loaned the rounds to my brother and I don't want to give bad info..please work up to a load I suggest a chronograph

·
Super Moderator
22,041 Posts
I've had good results with Spear 120 gr BT Spitzer over 45 gr of IMR 4831 and a CCI LR primer.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
each rifle is different as each shooter is different the load that is safe and will hit the game or target is the best one to use. As the old gentalman said if ya want fast go to the 25-06. The deer or yote is going to be just as dead either way. I have know yotes and deer to be fast but none have ever jumped out of the way of my shot. Of course I could also use that line that the load was too slow the very next time I miss and that could be tomorrow lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.